Did They "Peak" To Soon? | Golden Skate

Did They "Peak" To Soon?

L

Ladskater

Did They "Peak" To Soon?

I was just thinking of the three wunderkidz - Oksana, Tara and Sarah - who garnered Olympic gold at a young age and then had trouble maintaining their status in the skating world after. Tara of course, had hip problems so that prevented her from further amateur competition; Oksana - well we all know that story - had personal problems which prevented her from carrying on and Sarah - well I think hers was just lack of training this last season and not knowing what she wants at the moment. My point is do you think it is a good thing for these youngsters to be pushed to Olympic glory so early or is it a question of peaking to soon? Figure skating is a sport for the young, but there is something to be said for maturity. Of course, gymnastics produces young champions as well - so there goes my theory. What do you think?

Ladskater

S

Show 42

Re: Did They "Peak" To Soon?

I would say that they definitely peaked too soon. When you're on top, no matter what the age, the slip to the bottom is a long drop.......Tara left on top, with a National, World, and Olympic gold to her credit. Oksana, with a World title, is a case of "too much too soon".......she couldn't handle the fame and pro life. Sarah, on the other hand, has no National or World title yet. Don't throw rocks because I like her, but she could be a "one hit wonder", peaking before her time....42

H

HamiltonBrowningFan

Re: Did They "Peak" To Soon?

did she peak too soon... or sucumb to the numbing pressure of the American media? not to mention that SAT score, 4.0 to keep up, and college decisions... when most of us seniors are just trying to keep up with work and school and staying away from Senioritis... she also has to deal with being the Reigning Olympic champ AND still an elligible skater! Tara was already on the road as a pro and had made a decision not to go to college after high school(at least not right away)....