What "cheats" will you be looking for this season? | Golden Skate

What "cheats" will you be looking for this season?

What seems to be a problem with some skaters? Here are some examples that have been battered around in this forum:

Shizuka - the last part of her triple combo is cheated.
Plushenko - similarly that last jump in the triple combo.
Weir - travelling spins.
Yukina - underrotated jumps.
Michael - the quad lutz.

I wll be looking for the above this season. I'm not sure these are constant errors (maybe Michael).

Are there others with errors you will be looking for?

Joe

Spinner

Rinkside
I'm not sure using my skating viewing time looking for alleged 'cheats' is the best use of said time. I just like to watch the skating and enjoy the spectacle of it all. Sure, I know quite a bit about skating and used to compete up through the novice level in pairs. Yup, I know an error or cheat when I see one. But for me to actively look for one? Nope. It's too much of a cool sport to watch it just to analyze it to death trying to see all the wrong in it. That's JMO though. ;)

Spinner said:
I'm not sure using my skating viewing time looking for alleged 'cheats' is the best use of said time. I just like to watch the skating and enjoy the spectacle of it all. Sure, I know quite a bit about skating and used to compete up through the novice level in pairs. Yup, I know an error or cheat when I see one. But for me to actively look for one? Nope. It's too much of a cool sport to watch it just to analyze it to death trying to see all the wrong in it. That's JMO though. ;)
Spinner - I agree with you. Let's just enjoy the skate! But many posters will point out errors in discussions. In order for me to see if the pointers are correct, I will look to see if a skater does make this mistake and whether the skater makes it often. I've always been a defender of Sarah and her so-called 'underrotated' jumps. I have seen one or two but not every jump and not always the same one. Not unlike other skaters.

Joe

euterpe

Medalist
Funny that Weir has been pointed out for traveling spins. There are lots of other skaters who travel a lot worse than Weir, and don't have nearly as many interesting change of positions as Weir does.

I think Weir's spins are better than Plushy's, whose spins are his weakest area.

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
Spinner said:
ITA. Obviously when talking about performances and discussing results, errors and mistakes on both parts (skaters and judges) are expected to be commented on. But sometimes I think there is too much negativity in message boards. Endless and silly gushing is annoying, but too much negativity is rather frustrating to read. Maybe the idea is to compensate each other :laugh:

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
euterpe said:
Funny that Weir has been pointed out for traveling spins. There are lots of other skaters who travel a lot worse than Weir, and don't have nearly as many interesting change of positions as Weir does.

I think Weir's spins are better than Plushy's, whose spins are his weakest area.
This came from a misunderstanding of part of my post on Button. I pointed out the one instance where Weir traveled -- on the final headless scratch skin -- in his Dortmund LP, and used it as an example of something that should have been pointed out, if the same was pointed out on Lambiel's execution of the same spin in the same competition. I didn't mean that I think Weir has a tendency to travel. On the whole, Weir's spins are beautifully centered.

I was surprised at how many of the spins in the Men's competition at Dortmund were centered, down to the lowest ranked competitors. The Men's centering was, on the whole, better than the Ladies'.

Summerkid said:
I'm curious to see how popular the flutz will be this year.
Me, too. Now that I know (thanks to GS) a little bit about why a true Lutz is so hard and how few ladies, especially Americans, can actually do it, it will be fun to watch for it this year.
Endless and silly gushing is annoying,... -- RISkatingfan
Uh oh. With Michelle about to debut Bolero at Campbell's tomorrow night, I'm getting all geared up to be annoying! :)

Mathman

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
Mathman said:
Uh oh. With Michelle about to debut Bolero at Campbell's tomorrow night, I'm getting all geared up to be annoying! :)

Mathman
:laugh: Should I stay away from your posts then? :laugh:

I'll be hoping Michelle does well: that way, the gushing will be acceptable :D What do you say? LOL!

mzheng

Record Breaker
Summerkid said:
I'm curious to see how popular the flutz will be this year.

Read in a thread at FSU, according to a US judge who gave a talk at a CoP seminar that, 'flatz' is OK. but not flutz.

sk8m8

Final Flight
For you skating purists out there, this is strictly nitpicking....Axels...I always try to look and see if the person "skidded" into the edge, or if the edge was clean. In my opinion the skater has to "work" so much harder through the jump if they have slid into the edge rather than if they have lifted into the air off a clean edge. To me that is the bar of a well executed axel. I think that is what made the 3X of Kulik, Gallindo, Eldredge (along with a host of other skaters who execute edge jumps well) and also the primo 2X of the ladies (Yuka's floating axle, ahhhhh) such a thing of joy.

Kasey

Medalist
I think we are near the point of the "flutz" becoming it's own jump. SIGHHHHHHH

Kasey

Some day, some where, when you least expected, someone will say "You did a flip not a lutz" and by the Zayak rule, "do not do another flip in the routine".

The Weir case is really the 'headless' spin. It is not an easy spin to center. Lambiel had the same problem. I'm thinking Paul Wylie may have done a well centered headless spin. Am I right?

Joe

sk8m8

Final Flight
Joe...don't know about Wylie's headless spin, though judging from his spinning abilities it wouldn't surprise me. Scott Davis used to do a great headless spins and he was one of the best "spinners" in the world at centering all of his spins. Unfortunately for Scott, his jumps were never that consistant and he eventually had to deal with Vertigo ( a much more common malady in skating than most people know about)

I'll try to find a clip and see if I can't post the link. The Sk8M8

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
No, I will leave that task to the judges, it's their job.

:)

Kuchana

On the Ice
Ladskater said:
No, I will leave that task to the judges, it's their job.

:)

I wouldn't put too much trust on the judges since they can't pick up the cheats a lot of times and/or ignore it.

Matt

On the Ice
The "cheats" I will be interested to see aren't from the skaters, but the people behind the scenes who put the figure skating coverage together for American TV and how they will "cheat" around showing skaters from other countries who end up doing well to showing only the American skaters (who are shown so much on American coverage that I really don't care anymore!)