Tair ism or Te ror ism? | Golden Skate

Tair ism or Te ror ism?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
well I don't think Bush's way of saying words is any weirder than some of the other "stereotypical" accents in this great country... so I don't technically have a preference. My pastor is from the same area in Texas as Mr. Bush so I guess that's why I don't see anything weird or prefer one way of saying something over the other... I say terror because Alaskans don't have a distinct accent unless they live in a Native Village, then they just have a precise way of speaking...

however if I'm around other accents for too long I do pick up some of it... then watch out LOL

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Bush doesn't pronounce nuclear correctly either. It's one that really bugs me.

Spinner

Rinkside
Grgranny said:
Bush doesn't pronounce nuclear correctly either. It's one that really bugs me.
nor does he say 'subliminal' correctly. How nice the leader of the most powerful country in the world can say some simple words properly. Bah...that's another thread. ;)

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I can tell you why Bush misponouncing words bugs me. I grew up in USSR; my early childhood passed during the Brezhnev era. That leader was famous for abusing the Russian grammar; unfortunately, whatever Brezhnev said would immediately be declared the correct way of using words/ grammar. Then, school and university teachers had to device whether to teach the truly correct grammar, or the one that was just announced "correct" after Leonid Ilich's speach.

tvcats

Rinkside
I'm not defending the erroneous pronunciation. But, as a transplanted Texan I can tell you that it doesn't take long. You start speaking like native Texans fairly quickly. It happened to me.

4dogknight

Final Flight
I'm a Chicago native, living in central Texas for the past nineteen years and people still think I'm from Massachusettes.

Go figure!

4dk

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
It is my opinion that mispronouncing words such as joolery ;) and nucular :( , relator, etc. is not from being where you are, it's just not learning them or being careless. Words like ya'all are distinctly the way different areas speak. Did you know that Nebraska is supposedly where words are pronounced the most correctly? Well, the grammar here is pretty bad but I'm too lazy to correct it. :laugh:

JOHIO2

Medalist
Much as it pains me to defend George W. Bush, there is another reason for mispronouncing words -- learning disabilities. I recall hearing Barbara Bush discus how frustrating raising George was because he had learning problems. Can't recall if his problems were ever named, but I do recall her talking about flashcards, etc.

Plus, as anyone who has ever listened to the comedian Gallagher, English is not a phonetic language. Consider the following words and their pronunciation:

womb, tomb, comb, bomb...........

cough, tough, rough, though, bough, thorough, enough......

And words that have 2 ways to pronounce -- bow, bow

And just to totally confuse the issue, words that sound alike when most people say them -- effect, affect

I've never underestimated W. because he mispronounces words. And even gift grades don't get Yale BAs and Harvard MBAs. I think he's a short-sighted person. I think he might even be evil. But I don't think he is as stupid as portrayed.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Actually, a recent Atlantic article talked about how W. used to say the words just fine; it is only in the last decade that he has started to talk like that. I do, however, agree that he is not stupid.

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
Okay, I was born and raised in a tiny, rural Tennessee backwoods community. I spoke as I spoke for years, but when you enter the professional world you are expected to meet certain standards in that department. I had to "tweak" my language skills and work on many things so that I was able to present myself more professionally. I expect absolutely NOTHING less from a President. A Southern accent is fine, but if you can't properly speak the language of the country you represent as a global ambassador....well, then that is a huge issue. Bush has repeatedly proven that he does not have proper mastery of basic English grammer, etc. That might not be a big issue for some, but it is to me. I don't want to send "Mr Deliverance" to represent me in the high profile world of foreign affairs. I may get flack for this, but it is true. Accents are one thing, but they are not an excuse for improper language use. I am neither a Republican or Democrat, but I find poor language skills a major turn off. I expect the leader of our nation to be able to consistently exhibit a mastery of our nation's language. Bush does not. I am not certain about Kerry. Read the quotes Bush has uttered in the past, many of them are not grammaticly correct nor do many of them reflect much prior thought. Inexcusable. A President should be able to communicate effectively. That isn't asking for too much at all.

BTW, I don't think he is a stupid person, but to say some of the things he has said...and to be President...well, that just doesn't jive. I expect more from the "leader of the free world".

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The pronounciation of Nuclear actually was an item in the debate. When Kerry was asked what the most important foreign relations problem facing us, he answered Nuclear Proliferation. When Bush was asked the same question, he avoided the trap of trying to pronounce Nuclear Proliferation by saying he agreed, and he thought the biggest problem was Weapons of Mass Destruction in the hands of Terrists.

The pronounciation he uses that annoys me the most is not nuclear, which many Americans seem to have an inability to pronounce, including Jimmy Carter, who graduated from the naval academy in nuclear engineering, AFAIR.
It's when Bush pronounces 'says' to rhyme with 'plays'.

Good grief. You'd think he could master that one.

Bush's SAT scores are common knowledge, and while they wouldn't normally get you into Yale, I believe he scored over 1200, which is not shabby. I don't think he's stupid. I wouldn't be surprised if what he has is Attention Deficit Disorder--he doesn't seem to be able to concentrate on things very long.
Possibly he has some dyslexia-I understand his brother Neil has dyslexia, and the problem tends to run in families.

I don't mind 'terrists' so much, but I do mind Bush saying that we are engaged in a War on Terra. That is just too true when you consider this administrations environmental policies.

DORISPULASKI said:
I don't mind 'terrists' so much, but I do mind Bush saying that we are engaged in a War on Terra. That is just too true when you consider this administrations environmental policies.
The war on Terra :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

The envionmental policies :mad: :mad: :mad:

Joe

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Bush aside, it irks me when I hear adults pronouncing the word Library as Libary!!! For heavens' sake it's Library!!!!

:eek:

JOHIO2

Medalist
Joe,

considering that Kerry has a slight Boston accent, just who do we put down for the war on terra????

Doris,

I'm betting W. has ADHD.....all that fidgeting fits the profile. :rolleye