Tell a Friend and Make the Pledge | Golden Skate

Tell a Friend and Make the Pledge

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. .Finding a breast cancer as early as possible improves the likelihood that treatment will be successful. Most doctors feel that early detection tests for breast cancer save many thousands of lives each year, and that many more lives could be saved if even more women and their health care providers took advantage of these tests. Following the American Cancer Society's guidelines for the early detection of breast cancer improves the chances that breast cancer can be diagnosed at an early stage and treated successfully. For more information about breast cancer and the Tell a Friend program....http://www.cancer.org/docroot/PED/content/PED_1_5X_Tell_a_Friend.asp

Please make the pledge now that you will follow through with the approrpriate breast cancer screening for your age and health considerations as recommended by the ACA by posting your name in PINK on this thread. Although 100 times more likely to occur in women, you guys are at risk too!

Piel

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Yes, guys, my neighbor (male) died of breast cancer. I don't know how you're supposed to check it but do.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Grgranny said:
Yes, guys, my neighbor (male) died of breast cancer. I don't know how you're supposed to check it but do.

For men..........

Do a self-exam when you take a shower. Your chest, being flat, will be easier to examine than a woman's chest is. Soaping your breasts makes them slippery and helps you feel the details of the tissue better. This is true for women, too, of course.

If you find a lump, you should get a mammogram. Believe it or not, they can pinch enough tissue in a male's chest for a mammogram.

The site for the above information and more on breast cancer in men. (please scroll to the top)

Last edited:

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
Ravyn Also, the American Cancer Society will be doing "Making Strides Against Breast Cancer" in honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Contact your local ACS office for details, and let me know if any of you are making it to Strides SF! I'd love to meet you! -- RR

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I don't know if it's my eyes or what but I can hardly read your pink print, Raven.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
My appointment is Nov. 16th. It's been WAY too many years. Somehow the time slipped away and six years has gone by since my last mammogram. :\ :(

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
My maternal grandmother and my mom's sister both died of breast cancer. My cousin is a 7 year survivor. It runs in my family so I get a mammogram every year.............42

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
I just went in for my mammogram and everything came back just fine. :)

You never think of men having breast cancer, but it does happen.

GrGranny nothing wrong with your eyes the pink is hard to read.