Top Prospects of Russian ladies | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Top Prospects of Russian ladies

Shayuki

Record Breaker
The whole question is: can you recognize from few 4 minute YT videos, if a 10yo girl has Daleman or Wakaba's jumping ability?
If you can, then kudos to you and congrats to the new upcoming fs star. :agree:

I certainly can't.
I can see their technique in a 4 minute YT video on the jumps they perform.

But seriously, jumps in general aren't something I even would try to predict, personally. In my opinion, just about any seriously promising Russian ladies skater in this day and age can perform all the triples necessary. Jumps are there or aren't - Of course, special talented expectations like Akatieva are one thing. But I'm not going to count out ladies who don't have triples yet at the age of 9, for instance. Shcherbakova herself wasn't exactly strong technically just 3 years ago and now she has a quad. Maybe Panenkova was someone who you could consider talented but personally I couldn't care less about skaters like her. Dime a dozen. And jumping like her isn't all that special to me, either.

Artistry, musical sense, skating are far rarer and far more difficult to gain.

Girls get hit by puberty in different ways. Medvedeva? It's like nothing ever happened to her. Lipnitskaya? Hit really hard. Both were stick figures as pre-juniors.

Speaking of Wakaba and Daleman, you do realize what their body type is, right?

Of course, being a stick figure is useful if the aim is to hang onto jumps with unsustainable technique for that fleeting moment until puberty hits(Lipnitskaya being the recent prime example). But every girl needs to be able to deal with puberty, and being a strong jumper and having solid technique helps with that. I don't think it's accurate to entirely base your analysis around what sort of a puberty and with what timing a girl might hit(especially as everyone's an individual and people change their bodies in different manners).

I still logically think that not being a stick figure is useful in preventing yourself from getting hit by puberty as hard because the required adaptation isn't as massive.

I guess this point still is actually pretty important to make clear: I don't think that jumps are that important at this point in time nor the amount of triples or 3-3s the skaters can do. I concentrate mostly on the things other than jumps. But I don't think having jumps at this age can ever be considered anything but an advantage.

puremagic

-
Record Breaker
The whole question is: can you recognize from few 4 minute YT videos, if a 10yo girl has Daleman or Wakaba's jumping ability?
If you can, then kudos to you and congrats to the new upcoming fs star. :agree:

I certainly can't.

Actually, if we're talking about these girls, they all have similiar body-type. All Japanese ladies have strong legs (good for axel and loop jumps), along with many Canadian ladies.

South Koreans ladies have another, tiny body-type. And only Russians somehow have both types, but tiny type prevail, tho.

Girls get hit by puberty in different ways. Medvedeva? It's like nothing ever happened to her. Lipnitskaya? Hit really hard. Both were stick figures as pre-juniors.

Medvedeva's case is unique. It's like she went through puberty fast and in the same time slow. From a cute girl she became a beautiful lady. Lipnitskaya's case it's just tendency to corpulence. She could continue to starving and winning titles (if not her psychological problems). But you can't always go against your own body.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Medvedeva's case is unique. It's like she went through puberty fast and in the same time slow. From a cute girl she became a beautiful lady. Lipnitskaya's case it's just tendency to corpulence. She could continue to starving and winning titles (if not her psychological problems). But you can't always go against your body.

Medvedva's case is unique, indeed. That's why I think that she's a very poor example to use. Sure, someone might end up being like her, but I wouldn't ever count on it. Especially declaring things like that for 10-year-old girls is truly ridiculous.

Anna Shcherbakova's body type actually really worries me. She's way too thin, like she could shatter in the wind. Trusova's tiny but she also looks really strong.

puremagic

-
Record Breaker
Medvedva's case is unique, indeed. That's why I think that she's a very poor example to use. Sure, someone might end up being like her, but I wouldn't ever count on it. Especially declaring things like that for 10-year-old girls is truly ridiculous.

Anna Shcherbakova's body type actually really worries me. She's way too thin, like she could shatter in the wind. Trusova's tiny but she also looks really strong.

Yeah, but I guess Anna will be fine. I just hope her legs will stop grow. Because they're already very long. But maybe it's even advantage and because they're so long she can jump quads so solid? I was always thinking that long legs complicate life for figure skater.

tars

Record Breaker
Speaking of Wakaba and Daleman, you do realize what their body type is, right?
That's why I brought them up.
They have fantastic vertical jump, so the 'anti-rotational' body features don't matter much.

But to recognize 10yo kid's jumping abilities, one need more than few YT videos.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Yeah, but I guess Anna will be fine. I just hope her legs will stop grow. Because they're already very long. But maybe it's even advantage and because they're so long she can jump quads so solid? I was always thinking that long legs complicate life for figure skater.
Hm, I don't know if long legs would be an advantage for that. I at least haven't heard of that and am not sure if other long-legged skaters exactly rotate fast... Tsurskaya's rotation for instance is notoriously slow. But Anna's legs look very beautiful in the air - She has a really aesthetically pleasing rotation. She's the fastest rotating skater in the world, which I assume is mostly due to a combination of good rotation technique and being very thin.

Her case with the quad is also pretty curious because she wouldn't strike me as a quad skater if I didn't know about it. She's not exactly a power jumper and she gets good height but not spectacular height. For instance, if I was to look at Trusova's and Shcherbakova's programs last season, I'd assume Trusova to have a significantly better quad than Shcherbakova.

That's why I brought them up.
They have fantastic vertical jump, so the 'anti-rotational' body features don't matter much.

But to recognize 10yo kid's jumping abilities, one need more than few YT videos.

Being able to jump every triple and 3-3 at the age of 10 is enough to me, really... As I believe I said, my focus wouldn't primarily be on jumps. Many wouldn't even have the triples at that age, nor do they need to. At least there aren't any complete disasters in sight and the entries aren't as scary as Gubanova's lutz for example, which she still hasn't fixed after all this time.

tars

Record Breaker
Totally agreed.
And, to be completely honest, I think coaching staff haven't properly adjusted training burden to those thin bones. :disapp:

I'm really having unpleasant thoughts, when I see:
- Shcherbakova, 4 years in the group - injuried,
- Medvedeva, 8 years in the group - injuried,
- Tsurskaya, 5 years in the group - injuried,
- Pitkeev, 7 years in the group - injuried

and

- Zagitova, 2 years in the group - healthy,
- Trusova, 2 years in the group - healthy,
- Tarakanova, 1 year in the group - healthy,
- Kostornaya, 1 year in the group - healthy.

I know, conspiracy theory, but... :rolleye:

puremagic

-
Record Breaker
Totally agreed.
And, to be completely honest, I think coaching staff haven't properly adjusted training burden to those thin bones. :disapp:

You forgot Eva Novakhova and Diana Guseva, they're probably also injured. I find them also enough talented to compete at Zagi's level at least.

madison

Record Breaker
Totally agreed.

and

- Zagitova, 2 years in the group - healthy,
- Trusova, 2 years in the group - healthy,
- Tarakanova, 1 year in the group - healthy,
- Kostornaya, 1 year in the group - healthy.

I know, conspiracy theory, but... :rolleye:

Zagitova is from the beginning of 2014 in the group and she was really injured in 2014 with broken leg and hand.
She said, in one of the last interviews, that she competed in one of the internal competition with a broken arm and then at the same competition broke the leg too.
I don't understand why they push the skaters to compete if they are injured. In Med's case the same: she competed injured at NHK and also went to the EX where she did jumps.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Very nice find! :clap:

I quite liked her, indeed.

Is she injured currently, though? I only saw one sign of her in a protocol from September where she was supposed to participate but was apparently marked as canceled. Hasn't really appeared since at least on Sportvokrug.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
I like Daria and Maria best.
I'd give Daria two suns and Maria three.

Interestingly, Maria is coached by Alina Pisarenko--Sima's old coach.

This girl is 2005 and doesn't seem to have all her triples yet but I love her! Sofia Baranova: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fw0e4ahkJH4 and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1K6B6cLJvHY
She probably can't be considered a prospect due to her age and ability combo but just wanted to promote her! She could always pull a Zagitova/Kostornaya :)

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Actually, Maria Dmitrieva should be an October 4 2007 birthday according to fskate.ru. And Daria Loboda would likely be August 25 2007 birthday judging by fskate.ru.

That would basically mean that they all essentially are in the same age group as Akatieva and Berestovskaya and well, the comparison isn't very favorable overall at this point in time...

I also like Maria the most out of these but considering that she's older and significantly weaker than Berestovskaya...

Now, that's not to say that she's bad overall. But it means I wouldn't give her 5 stars.

puremagic

-
Record Breaker
Actually, Maria Dmitrieva should be an October 4 2007 birthday according to fskate.ru. And Daria Loboda would likely be August 25 2007 birthday judging by fskate.ru.
And to what I should believe more? To fskate or sportvokrug? I somehow think sporvokrug has more information about the kids, and fskate about the juniors/seniors. On fskate I also often see just a year without date of birth. Another evidence about wrong information on this website!

tars

Record Breaker
Maria is quite a jumper!
Alexandra has insane speed.
Diana is skating in Julia's home rink in Yekaterinburg.

Good job, puremagic. :agree:

Shayuki

Record Breaker
And to what I should believe more? To fskate or sportvokrug? I somehow think sporvokrug has more information about the kids, and fskate about the juniors/seniors. On fskate I also often see just a year without date of birth. Another evidence about wrong information on this website!

Well, the problem with Maria Dmitrieva on Sportvokrug for instance is that it listed her as 2. juniors last March, which can in no way be accurate considering her program's difficulty. Fskate has a different second name. The obvious conclusion is that there are two. On Daria Loboda, there are two. One born in 2007 August and one 2008 October. The 2008 one is of middling talent in the 1. juniors so there's no way she could have performed like that in the nationals at a far more difficult level - She should be able to obliterate 1. juniors if that was the case. And fskate.ru supports this logic.