Campbell spoiler (MM don't read!) | Golden Skate

Campbell spoiler (MM don't read!)

bronxgirl

Medalist
Michelle and Goebel are the winners of the cheese fest as per sources on the other boards. I have not authority to post details, but in case somone was curious- there it is.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Thanks Bronxgirl.........congrats to Timmy, Michelle, and the rest of the skaters. Can't wait to see it on television next week.................... :) 42

Miriam Boo

Rinkside
Haven't viewed the actual competition, but the scores are posted on USFSA. The ladies event was close between Arakawa & Kwan. From the scores which are based on the old 6.0 grading system, it probably could have gone either way if this was a legitimate competition. It appears that both Shizuka & Michelle had strong skates...it would have been only a 3-2 decision in favor of Michelle had the Japanese judge not placed Ando in 1st.

I read that the men's competition was a disaster, as all the skaters were falling all over the place. Well...this competition really lived up to its name, but the men really put the cheese in the Cheesefest.

busybeemom1

Spectator
I was at the competition tonight and in my opinion Michelle Kwan absolutely deserved to win. She looked in complete control, was totally confident, and executed her jumps beautifully. She fell on her footwork right in front of me at the end, but seemed to get up so quickly it was like a quick blur and really didn't seem to take away from the performance. Arakawa didn't have anywhere near the presence of Michelle or command of the ice. Her program seemed shaky compared to Michelles'. I would have been shocked had she won over Michelle. Also, a comment was made about the men's competition. None of the men were perfect, from what I could recall, but I certainly wouldn't call it a splat fest, or whatever the previous poster called it. Brian and Tim in particular, while they weren't perfect, their programs were really captivating and showed great promise. The influence of Alexi Yagudin on Brian Joubert's program was also really strong, which I loved. Which reminds me, I went to get a cocoa while the first 4 women were warming up and recognized Brian Joubert at the food stand getting a soda and pizza I think. There were only 3 of us there so I told him I loved his program. When I mentioned that it had reminded me of Alexi's style his eyes kinda lit up and he said that Alexi helped choreograph it and had helped pick out the music. He was so very nice, and signed about 4 autographs for the woman standing beside me. I was really impressed with how gracious he was. This was my first post ever and it's late so I hope I was clear with my comments!

Miriam Boo

Rinkside
What?...no 3/3's for the American ladies?...big surprise...ho hum. Come on Cheesefest cheeseheads...3/3's will win you a world championship and Olympic gold but not a measley Cheesefest?!...sounds a little shady to me. Did Michelle at least have some more difficult and interesting spins? Shizuka was nervous and still skated a "sound" program?...sounds like Shizuka actually won had this been a legitimate competition. Had the Cheesefest been held in Japan, Shizuka and Miki might have fared better, but it will never happen...Japanese people hate cheese!

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Congratulations Michelle and Timmy! Any word about the programs? How was Bolero? What happened to Sasha and Jenny?

Miriam Boo

Rinkside
Well...from the judges scores, it wouldn't have been such a surprise had Shizuka won. Think about it....Michelle skating on home ice in front of a partisan crowd, using the old and less objective 6.0 grading system...the presentation score apparently won it for Michelle...how subjective is that? Unless Michelle made her spins more difficult & interesting, I think Shizuka has the edge there as well. Apparently, the odds are stacked in favor of the American ladies in these Cheesefests. I also recall Fumie Suguri losing to Michelle in one Spring Cheesefest which Suguri should have won. Well...I'm not surpised either...what else can you expect of a Cheesefest?

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Miriam Boo said:
What?...no 3/3's for the American ladies?...big surprise...ho hum. Come on Cheesefest cheeseheads...3/3's will win you a world championship and Olympic gold but not a measley Cheesefest?!...sounds a little shady to me. Did Michelle at least have some more difficult and interesting spins? Shizuka was nervous and still skated a "sound" program?...sounds like Shizuka actually won had this been a legitimate competition. Had the Cheesefest been held in Japan, Shizuka and Miki might have fared better, but it will never happen...Japanese people hate cheese!

Maybe the judges followed the rules and actually remembered that there is more to skating than jumps? The last time I checked skating while nervous was not mentioned as a reason for winning.

No one is stopping other countries from putting on this events. If i had such disdain for a particular competition I don't think I would care so much about the results. :rolleye:

Last edited:

mzheng

Record Breaker
Miriam Boo said:
It appears that both Shizuka & Michelle had strong skates...it would have been only a 3-2 decision in favor of Michelle had the Japanese judge not placed Ando in 1st. .

Looks to me the Japanese judge boxed himself in with MK and SA.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Miriam Boo said:
but it will never happen...Japanese people hate cheese!

Then go back to your Japan to have some Sushi/Sashmi. A lot US ppl love Sushi and Sashmi, your words just going to show how narrow minded Japanese ppl are.

leon

Rinkside
Michelle & Shizuka

Shizuka's program still has a way to go to connect to the music. Choreography didn't seem to flow with her music. Michelle certainly doesn't need a cheesefest win to ehance her credentials. I'm a huge fan of Shizuka and would have loved to have seen Shizuka win this but, as then saying goes, Michelle had the most complete package Friday. All these programs are only going to get better.
It continues to mystify me . . . Michelle electrified the arena tonight as only Michelle can do. The connection, the electricity, the power and the magic of Kwan is unreal. Its like a revival --- at the end of her program we are all believers again! She and the audience and the music are like they are all one.

Eldredgefan2001

Rinkside
Is it starting alread? My goodness! :rolleye: Anyway, congratulations to all of the medalists. I know it's only the first competition of the season (and a cheesefest at that), but I can't wait to see the ladies performances. :)

Kathie

Miriam Boo

Rinkside
Perhaps, I'm a little premature in assessing the validity of the ladies competition results, but it's true that the foreign ladies are notoriously short-changed in these Cheesefests. Michelle had the best presentation from some reports I've read on USFSA. However, there is no doubt that the partisan crowd coming to their feet in applause helped sway the judges. I like Michelle, but more often than not, she's given credit for her reputation as 5-time world champ and for being a skating icon rather than on the actual merit of her skating. For those of you who attended the competition, what has improved in Michelle's skating? She has always counted on her presentation to put her over the top, but what improvements has she made technically?

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Your comments seem awfully harsh especially since you have not actually seen the competition. The winner is determined by the technical and presentation mark. Michelle's skating is of such high quality that even without any improvement in the technical area when she is on and other skaters are not it is entirely plausible that she can beat them. I seriously doubt if the Russian and French judges were swayed by a partisan North American crowd. If the competition had been held in Japan who's to say the judges would not be swayed by a partisan Japanese audience? Like I said if other countries are so bothered by events being held in the U.S. and favoring U.S. skaters, instead of whining and complaining they need to start sponsoring some competitions.

Whomever the poster was that actually saw the competition, please let me know about the choreography to Bolero; what about ochichornia? what about Carmen?, etc. Who had the best choreography and why?

This was a dress hearsal for skaters to figure out what to do for the next round. I can't take it seriously.

Joe

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
mzheng said:
Then go back to your Japan to have some Sushi/Sashmi. A lot US ppl love Sushi and Sashmi, your words just going to show how narrow minded Japanese ppl are.

Miriam Boo said:
Had the Cheesefest been held in Japan, Shizuka and Miki might have fared better, but it will never happen...Japanese people hate cheese

Guys, please...it's just a cheesefest. No race jokes or anything... :eek:

Bynx

On the Ice
Miriam Boo said:
Perhaps, I'm a little premature in assessing the validity of the ladies competition results, but it's true that the foreign ladies are notoriously short-changed in these Cheesefests. Michelle had the best presentation from some reports I've read on USFSA. However, there is no doubt that the partisan crowd coming to their feet in applause helped sway the judges. I like Michelle, but more often than not, she's given credit for her reputation as 5-time world champ and for being a skating icon rather than on the actual merit of her skating. For those of you who attended the competition, what has improved in Michelle's skating? She has always counted on her presentation to put her over the top, but what improvements has she made technically?

:rolleye:

Don't talk when you haven't seen things,
makes you sound like an ignorant rambling idiot.

((Edited by Mathman at the request of FSU administrators. Because of copyright considerations, please do not quote long posts in their entirety from other boards. Instead, give a link and a summary.

Here is a link to a report on FSU from a person in attendance at the competition. Scroll down to the post by "Impromptu."

Impromptu lists Michelle's jumps (six triples, two in combination, and a double Axel) and remarks especially on the innovations that this program contained, including spins in both directions. -- End of Edit))

Seems as though MK, CD, and RA have been working very hard.
MK said this was still a work in progress and she did this well
on her 1st outing with it.

BTW, The French and Russian judges along with the
American judge gave Michelle 5.9's for presentation.

Also gave her high marks for technical merit.

And another thing, Michelle has been working on her
3/3's with RA and stated that the goal for Campbell's was
to simply debut the program and that she wouldn't have 3/3's here.

Don't mean to be harsh but, you just left yourself
wide open for it. If you're that skeptical, just wait for it to aire
on television and come to your own conclusions after having seen it. :)

Last edited by a moderator: