Is there such a thing as... | Golden Skate

Is there such a thing as...

sk8m8

Final Flight
... a reverse Ina Baur? I've seen most edge/pose moves done in both directons, i.e. forward and backward charlotte spirals or standard forward spirals, spinning in both directions of some sort, cerainly not many of Lucinda's 100+ variations, though :laugh:

Has anyone seen a skater do a backwards IB? If so, who used it? Looks like it would be hard as chinese algebra to do, but also seems like it would be and effective move. Oh yeah, and if there's also any inventive move that you wonder if "it's been done and by who" please add it with your posts. I always enjoy hearing about inventiveness in FS.

thanks, your sk8m8, mark

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I am not quite sure what you mean. An Ina Bauer is a Spread Eagle done with both feet spread apart - one in front of the other. One is already sort of "reversed"
One foot is pointed to the left and the other is pointed to the right. I suppose one could make the left foot the dominate skating foot and go to the left - never thought of that! And I am a "south paw!" Of course, all my skating instructors were right handed so therefore taught me most moves to the right!!!!

http://www.sk8stuff.com/f_recog/recog_g_bauer.htm

Picture of Ina Bauer - the skater who invented the move:

http://www.jacksonskates.com/photos/fotot-38.html

LBC

On the Ice
Thanks for the picture of the real Ina Bauer. But she wasn't doing her signiture move. :(

The orginal is usually the person who can do it the best. Like nobody will ever do a Beilman as good as Denise Beilman or the Tano Lutz like Brian Botanio. I'd love to see a picture of her doing the Ina Bauer.

I think it is neat that they used both of her names. It is usually just the last name like Salcow or Lutz. I think it sounds better that someone is doing the Ina Bauer and not just the Bauer or the Ina. The Ina sounds really bad. :eek:

I've seen katherine Healy do a forward Charlotte. Not easy! Can you imagine trying that? First thing I would think of us is tipping over forward and hopefully into a walk over. :laugh:

Joe

LBC

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
I've seen katherine Healy do a forward Charlotte. Not easy! Can you imagine trying that? First thing I would think of us is tipping over forward and hopefully into a walk over. :laugh:

Joe

Sasha's doing a forward charlotte this year.

Glacierskater

On the Ice
sk8m8 said:
... a reverse Ina Baur? I've seen most edge/pose moves done in both directons, i.e. forward and backward charlotte spirals or standard forward spirals, spinning in both directions of some sort, cerainly not many of Lucinda's 100+ variations, though :laugh:

Has anyone seen a skater do a backwards IB? If so, who used it? Looks like it would be hard as chinese algebra to do, but also seems like it would be and effective move. Oh yeah, and if there's also any inventive move that you wonder if "it's been done and by who" please add it with your posts. I always enjoy hearing about inventiveness in FS.

That would be me doing the ina bauer...it is pitiful and I get the position mixed up.

mpal2

Final Flight
Didn't Naomi Nari Nam do a forward Charlotte? I remember seeing one in the past few years.

SK8GR8

Rinkside
I can do an Ina Bauer in both directions. I'm more comfortable with right foot leading and can do this on inside or outside edge, or flat. With left foot leading I'm not quite comfortable enough to get onto the outside edge. But I wouldn't consider either direction a "reverse" Ina Bauer. The only possible way that I can conceptualize a reverse Ina Bauer would be if you were traveling in the direction that the back foot is pointing. But I don't really know how you would do that--how can the trailing foot be the leader? It doesn't seem possible, especially because the front foot is supporting most of your weight. I don't think you could shift your weight to the back foot and have it "lead" without lifting the front foot off the ice. Incidentally, this is sort of how many people "cheat" an Ina Bauer if they can't do it properly--they lift the back foot slightly off the ice so it's really only the front foot that's on an edge.

astarz41

Rinkside
Denise Bielmann did not invent the bielmann spin.

Reverse ina bauer? I think I can picture what you mean and I guess it is possible? Heh. Say you're doing a regular ina bauer with your left leg leading (bent) on the LFO edge. To do a backwards ina you'd have to do a LBO edge with your left leg instead. It would be kinda hard to get into that position going backwards but I don't see why it wouldn't be possible.