What happened to Elizabeth Manley? | Golden Skate

What happened to Elizabeth Manley?

S

SkateFan4Life

Can anyone tell me if Elizabeth Manley, the wonderful Canadian champion skater who won the silver medal at the 1988 Winter Olympics, is still skating professionally? I haven't seen her on any televised skating competitions or shows for quite some time now. The last time I saw Elizabeth, she appeared to be a bit overweight and, unfortunately, also appeared to be out of shape.

I remember her great long program at Calgary. She won the long program over Witt and Thomas and caused a sensation in her country by winning the silver medal. Elizabeth skated with Ice Capades for a number of years, filmed some wonderful television specials on Canadian television, such as "Dear Elizabeth", which I never had the opportunity to see (thank you, US cable :mad: )

I remember a pro competition held in December 1988 that Elizabeth won over Roz Sumners and Elaine Zayak. She still had the competitive edge and was in top form, and she easily won that competition.

Anyway, is Elizabeth still skating these days? She must be in her late 30s by now, so perhaps she's coaching?

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
The last time I saw anything about Liz was a program on the CBC called "Life and Times" it's sort of like A&E's Biography. Anyway, it was a wonderful program and showed Elizabeth alive and well and teaching skating somewhere in the States. She was living in Victoria, BC for awhile, but I don't know if she still has a house there or not. She gave up the glamour of ice shows and decided to teach because of her constant "battle of the bulge." However, she seems happy and content!!! Boy, I would sign up for lessons with Liz anyday!!!!

:)

Antilles

Medalist
She had a bad ankle injury that put her career on ice. It was a freak accident, but she broke it in a number of places. I believe she got back on the ice, but I'm not sure if she got back to where she was previously. That was a couple of years ago. The last time I remember her skating publicly was on Elvis Stokjo's last tour, two years ago. Her 12 year old niece also appeared with her at the Stojko stop that was televised on CBC. It was a nice moment to see.

S

SkateFan4Life

soogar said:
Liz Manley is coaching full time at Ice Works in Pa.

http://www.iceworkssc.org/

Thanks for the update! Those skaters are very fortunate to be coached by Elizabeth. This woman has the knowledge, the drive, and the passion for skating, and I'm sure she will instill this in her students.

By the way, I still think Liz should have won the gold medal in Calgary. Just my own two cents, of course.