Roller Derby on Ice | Golden Skate

Roller Derby on Ice

S

SkateFan4Life

Have any of you ever tried to skate in a public skating session that resembled a "roller derby on the ice"? A number of years ago, I frequently skated in a local indoor rink during its evening weekend sessions, and, well, I was glad to live through one of those sessions. A group of teenage guys, not that much older than I was at the time, were whipping through the crowded rink, shoving their way through the pack, pushing people to the side, and generally raising heck.
Two of them "accidentally" knocked into me, and I went sailing in the air and landed on my right hip. While I was able to get off the ice and drive home, the next day I had an egg-sized black and blue bruise on my hip bone.

This particular ice rink had no responsibility for their patrons' behavior. There were no apologies for this incident. While I probably could have made an issue of the situation, I chose to never return to that particular rink. A few years later, the rink closed due to lack of business. Perhaps other skaters encountered similar situations, and perhaps one of them took legal action.

Anyway, the rink where I now occasinally skate has a large clientele of enthusiastic skaters of all ages. Sure, some get exuberant as they skate in the public sessions, but these folks obey the rules of the rink and don't cut, push, or shove. What a pleasure! :)

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
SkateFan4Life said:
Have any of you ever tried to skate in a public skating session that resembled a "roller derby on the ice"? A number of years ago, I frequently skated in a local indoor rink during its evening weekend sessions, and, well, I was glad to live through one of those sessions. A group of teenage guys, not that much older than I was at the time, were whipping through the crowded rink, shoving their way through the pack, pushing people to the side, and generally raising heck.
Two of them "accidentally" knocked into me, and I went sailing in the air and landed on my right hip. While I was able to get off the ice and drive home, the next day I had an egg-sized black and blue bruise on my hip bone.

This particular ice rink had no responsibility for their patrons' behavior. There were no apologies for this incident. While I probably could have made an issue of the situation, I chose to never return to that particular rink. A few years later, the rink closed due to lack of business. Perhaps other skaters encountered similar situations, and perhaps one of them took legal action.

Anyway, the rink where I now occasinally skate has a large clientele of enthusiastic skaters of all ages. Sure, some get exuberant as they skate in the public sessions, but these folks obey the rules of the rink and don't cut, push, or shove. What a pleasure! :)

Yes! I'll say and to make matters worse our public skate sessions include Hockey "wannabees"!! :mad: They are allowed to put a net at one end of the rink and practice shots. Meanwhile the rest of the herd are out there skating pell-mell and running into anyone caught in their path! I have had several "ankle biter" misses!

I Hate public sessions and avoid them at all costs. Probably why I did not get to the rink much last year. I like going to the drop in adult sessions, but unfortunately they are always at a time when I am at work.
:(

IDLERACER

Medalist
When I was a kid, a two hour public skating session at a local rink would always be broken up by the occasional voice over the loudspeaker announcing things like "The Next Skate Will Be For Ladies Only" or "...Couples Only" or "...Men Only." Everyone kind of knew that whenever the "Men Only" segment was announced, it meant that for the next five minutes, the ice was about to suddenly turn into a testosterone-fuled blurry mosh pit. I've got to admit that when I was little, I really had a blast. It sort of made me feel grown up, being able to keep up with all the older guys on the rink. Of course, once the all-male session was over, things would usually get back to normal pretty fast.

S

SkateFan4Life

Ladskater said:
I Hate public sessions and avoid them at all costs. Probably why I did not get to the rink much last year. I like going to the drop in adult sessions, but unfortunately they are always at a time when I am at work.
:(

Amen to that. I would love to skate during the day when the public sessions are less crowded, but, alas, I have to work for a living. The pre-dawn skating sessions are pretty much confined to serious skaters who are in the USFSA development ladder program, not for the rest of us who just want to skate around the rink a gazillion times. And the evening sessions are so crowded.
You really have to watch yourself during the weekend sessions, as the rinks are literally one large pack of skaters.