I Spoke To Evan Lysacek Today | Golden Skate

I Spoke To Evan Lysacek Today

IDLERACER

Medalist
Well, it had to happen sometime. On one of my occasional trips to the Healthsouth Center, I finally had an opportunity to actually speak to a skater, who turned out to be a nice guy. As I got out of my car, Evan Lysacek was walking to his, talking to a lady who appeared to be fan. He was mentioning that he'll be on TV this Sunday sometime, and that he "thinks" it's called the "Campbell Soup Classic" or something (I found it interesting that he wasn't sure of the exact title of the event). I saw this as an opportunity to join in and asked him if he knew what time it would be on. He said that competitions are usually on in the afternoon and he didn't know the exact time. (Just for the record, I checked Yahoo's local TV schedule when I got home, and here on the West Coast, it will actually be on in the morning from 10:00 to 12:00 on ABC).

WARNING, THIS PARAGRAPH CONTAINS A SPOILER: I asked him how he did, and he said he came in 5th, and that it was his 1st senior level competition. I just said, "Aw, I'm sure you're gonna do better as the season progresses," and he said "Thanks, I hope so."

At this point I went into the building to see what was going on. This was the first time I've been there between 2:00 and 3:00 instead of 1:00 and 2:00, and the place was bustling with activity. There were about ten or twelve skaters out on the ice practicing, among them Yebin Mok (who I'm convinced is probably there at least four hours every day) and Timothy Goebel, who was working with some guy other than Frank Carroll. Also on the ice was the short guy who I originally mistook for Evan Lysacek, who's name I'm not sure of. I didn't stay too long this time, but I'll mention to anyone who'll be visiting the L.A. area in the near future, that if you're planning on paying a visit to the rink, if you get there between 1:00 and 3:00 you're always sure to see something or other.

Still no sign of Jenny Kirk, though :sheesh:

IDLERACER

Medalist
dr.frog said:
Idleracer, is this your "short guy"? That's Mauro Bruni, another senior man who also works with Frank Carroll and Ken Congemi.
No, this guy has shorter hair with blond hilights.

Sk8harvest

Rinkside
Thanks for the post Idle. I have been to Healthsouth a few times, though 1-3 on weekdays is not possible for me (I work too far away to come at lunch time.) I have been living vicariously through your posts :)

IDLERACER

Medalist
Sk8harvest said:
Thanks for the post Idle. I have been to Healthsouth a few times, though 1-3 on weekdays is not possible for me (I work too far away to come at lunch time.) I have been living vicariously through your posts :)
I work for a kennel (as, among other things, a caretaker and occasional groomer). Part of what I do for a living involves driving a van (picking up and/or dropping off dogs). The only time I can get over there at that time of day is on the rare occasion that I have to make a delivery in the LAX area. Whenever the opportunity pops up, I always make it a point to stop by and check to see if anything unusual is going on.

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
Idle, where is Healthsouth? How's parking? If parking is bad I'm not sure I can deal!

IDLERACER

Medalist
tharrtell said:
Idle, where is Healthsouth? How's parking? If parking is bad I'm not sure I can deal!
That's never a problem. The parking lot is absolutely HUGE, and not even half-full at that time of the day. It's just south of the airport. It's at 555 Nash st, and to get there, you must approach it from the north, because it's a one way street. Quite simply, from Sepulveda, you turn East onto Mariposa, and Nash is two blocks down. After you turn right on Nash (the only direction you can turn), you'll almost immediately come across the driveway into the lot. If you miss it, you'll have to go back around the block. Click HERE for an illustration. The red star marks the spot.