Is there anyone who is as upset as I am about | Golden Skate

Is there anyone who is as upset as I am about

LarasB

Rinkside
the fact that we will only see the long programs for the grand prix competition?

I remember when we complained about ABC's coverage. It seems as we're going to be worse off now. Doesn't anybody care about the fans of figure skating? Maybe I'm more upset than others, but one of the things I looked forward to was watching the original dances and short programs. Long programs only will feel that you missed out on a lot of other good and enjoyable skating.

Vash01

Medalist
Of course I am upset. What is even more upsetting to me is that we are not even going to be shown pairs programs. From what I read we will only be shown parts of the pairs LP's. That really stinks. Just because there is no medal contender in pairs from the USA, our networks assume that we will not be interested.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I hear you. I was pretty ticked with last year's coverage on CTV (which used to be excellent) they eliminated showing the pairs short program. The CBC did a much better job when it came to the Worlds. I hope the CBC is going to cover our Nationals and Skate Canada. I have a feeling though that it is CTV. Well, one thing is for sure there won't be any hockey games to compete with for ice time. So, CTV won't have any excuses!!!!

ATW27

On the Ice
Count me in the the dissapointed department, too; I was hoping that perhaps Lifetime would be doing part of the Grand Prix coverage again this year, especialy since their logo is still on the TV Schedule page of usfsa.org, but that looks unlikely as the GP series is nearly here and we have heard nothing as yet.
Vash, exactly where do you read that ESPN will only be showing the highlights of the pairs competition? Do you consider the source of the information credible? If so, does it gave any other details about what we'll be seeing exactly on the ESPN broadcasts (besides being FPs only)? Just Curious.
Still, Some coverage is better than no coverage at all, so that's one way to look at it (I'm sure some would dissagree with me).

Andy

Vash01

Medalist
Andy,

Since it has been so long since I read that, I had to go back to the link on my board (see below)

http://p088.ezboard.com/felenaantonandartofrussianskating50985frm11.showMessage?topicID=304.topic

Actually this is a link to Heather's schedule. Note that for pairs it says 'highlights' not the LP's. Others are not that clear. They may decide at the last minute, depending on how everyone skates (one can hope). For worlds they are going to show the pairs LP's, but for GP's it sounds like we are at their mercy.

Of course there can be changes to the originally published schedule, but at least back then this is how it appeared.

Vash

Eliza

Rinkside
Count me in as another very annoyed skating fan. I always enjoy the short programs. Sometimes I like them better than the LP's.

I also am annoyed that the LP's are being shown from 9PM to midnight (except for Sk Am.) , but I suppose I should be glad that they are showing anything. Even the finals are scheduled for 9PM to midnight.

Eliza

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
At least most of you will get to see SOMETHING -- under the new contract, the only thing those of us without cable will be able to see are Skate America and the Nationals. What, I have to pay God knows how much per month for basic cable (which except for the skating events I don't want or need), just to see ANYTHING AT ALL?? I'm still trying to figure out what arrangements I'm going to have to make for the next season; cable TV is not in the budget right now. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

merrywidow

Record Breaker
What no one is considering is that it is the sale of advertising on TV that determines how many hours of skating we will be seeing. If the advertisers don't see any return for their investment they'll stop buying the space. If they stop buying space, the network stops televising skating. It isn't the network you should be writing to but letters of appreciation to the advertisers (& don't forget to buy their products.)

JonnyCoop said:
At least most of you will get to see SOMETHING -- under the new contract, the only thing those of us without cable will be able to see are Skate America and the Nationals. What, I have to pay God knows how much per month for basic cable (which except for the skating events I don't want or need), just to see ANYTHING AT ALL?? I'm still trying to figure out what arrangements I'm going to have to make for the next season; cable TV is not in the budget right now. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
Jonny Coop - If you can find the money (about 25 US dollars per month), it will be well worthy it. There are many programs on Cable that are more interesting than network TV. Check with your cable carriers and try to get the best deal. Be sure they carry ESPN, ESPN2,and Lifetime.

Joe

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
Jonny Coop - If you can find the money (about 25 US dollars per month), it will be well worthy it. There are many programs on Cable that are more interesting than network TV. Check with your cable carriers and try to get the best deal. Be sure they carry ESPN, ESPN2,and Lifetime.

Joe

The problem is, I know me. I'm a channel-flipper extrodinaire. I can spend enough time flipping through what I already have, the 6 networks and 5 Spanish channels, half of which don't even come in all that well. I get basic cable, and I KNOW I will sit there for hours and hours just flipping through channels. :laugh: :laugh:

Eeyora

Final Flight
I am also upset about seeing no short programs. Hopefully somehow we can view them via the internet as I did when Michelle debuted The Feeling Begins at Skate America a few years back..

skatepixie

On the Ice
Im *very* upset. I was always so dissapointed that Sasha never got to skate Dark Eyes healthy (it was her long the year she was injured and never got skated to its potential because she was just in too much pain) and I got so excited when I found out she is bringing it back as a short. I always thought that music was just wonderful for her. Now, I find out I have to wait til *Nationals*! Thats, like, forever.

ladybug

On the Ice
What we all have to realize is that ESPN has to make time for Poker Competitions and Golf (even though they have a golf channel all their own). I heard they will be having a competition for who can pick the most 4 leaf clovers in one hour. That should really bring in the advertisers. :laugh: :laugh:

All jokes aside, I am also unhappy about the limited coverage this year. I know skating is not as popular as it once was but it is still a sport and a sport with a lot of fans. I can only hope that Lifetime comes through this year. Heck, I wouldn't care if they showed ice skating at 3 or 4 AM. That is what VCR's are for.

Ladybug

ladybug said:
I know skating is not as popular as it once was but it is still a sport and a sport with a lot of fans. I can only hope that Lifetime comes through this year. Heck, I wouldn't care if they showed ice skating at 3 or 4 AM. That is what VCR's are for.Ladybug
I'm not so sure it is considered a sport in the US, unfortunately. Too many sportscasters don't think that way. The Pro competitions looked like silly exhibitions and that does not go over with serious minded sports fans. Men wearing sequins does not add to what others think of as sports and the age of the ladies appear to be the next step after the Beauty Pagaents. I'm not too sure figure skating has as many fans as NASCAR even.

From what I've read by other members of Golden Skate, Europeans do like figure skating more than Americans. If that is true it would be nice if some big European entrepeneur could bring the TV competitions to the USA, at least on Pay Per View. But I am not so sure figure skating would do as well as boxing.

Joe

Vash01

Medalist
Joesitz said:
I'm not so sure it is considered a sport in the US, unfortunately. Too many sportscasters don't think that way. The Pro competitions looked like silly exhibitions and that does not go over with serious minded sports fans. Men wearing sequins does not add to what others think of as sports and the age of the ladies appear to be the next step after the Beauty Pagaents. I'm not too sure figure skating has as many fans as NASCAR even.

From what I've read by other members of Golden Skate, Europeans do like figure skating more than Americans. If that is true it would be nice if some big European entrepeneur could bring the TV competitions to the USA, at least on Pay Per View. But I am not so sure figure skating would do as well as boxing.

Joe

If a card game where people are sitting around a table is considered a sport, how can even pro FS competitions not be considered a sport? At least the skaters are using their leg and arms muscles. They may not have 'poker faces' though.

Joe, I know you are on our side, but I honestly don't see any excuse for not showing us FS when they show us the silliest things under the banner of 'sports'. Quite frankly, car racing should not be considered sports either. It's the machine doing most of the work, with someone driving (extremely skillfully of course). Most male dominated 'sports'- golf, boxing, and of course football (which I LOVE), get all the TV time, and it's all LIVE! FS is viewed as a woman's sport (if they venture to call it that), and the assumption is that there is no money in it. Some people at the top are in denial that women are important to the economy.

Vash

mzheng

Record Breaker
How about the commentators team? Still the old ones at ABC? Dick, Peggy, etc.?

I ask this question, because I reviewed some of last seasons tape last night, Terry kept brought up Dick & Peggy being together for 20 (? I don't remember exactly number) years. Then Dick said I warnned you don't say anything more? I assume at that time they already knew ABC is not going to sign contract with USFSA?

Vash01 said:
If a card game where people are sitting around a table is considered a sport, how can even pro FS competitions not be considered a sport? At least the skaters are using their leg and arms muscles. They may not have 'poker faces' though.

Joe, I know you are on our side, but I honestly don't see any excuse for not showing us FS when they show us the silliest things under the banner of 'sports'. Quite frankly, car racing should not be considered sports either. It's the machine doing most of the work, with someone driving (extremely skillfully of course). Most male dominated 'sports'- golf, boxing, and of course football (which I LOVE), get all the TV time, and it's all LIVE! FS is viewed as a woman's sport (if they venture to call it that), and the assumption is that there is no money in it. Some people at the top are in denial that women are important to the economy. Vash
Couldn't agree with you more, Vash. I suppose poker is a sport as bridge and chess are, and car racing has to be even more dumb than those because how much can a spectator watch this if a relative is not in the game. It's hard to believe a family can sit around on a Sunday afternoon and watch NASCAR - all those cares buzzing around and only an accident gets one's interest. Sick?

And true, there must be an underestimated count of women spectators for figure skating. If you go live to a competition, there are easily 80 per cent female, to 20 per cent male. How well they are represented as viewers on TV, I do not know. But someone must have said, Figure Skating makes money but NASCAR makes more. I just don't know.

Joe

LarasB

Rinkside
I wonder if there's a way in which women who are fans of figure skating can protest against the male-dominated world of sports.
When I became a fan of figure skating, my husband was a fan of baseball. Now he watches figure skating with me. There are men out there that would like to see the short programs aired. I remember when espn and lifetime televised short programs (espn) and long programs for pairs and dance (lifetime) I always sent them an email thanking them for telelvising the grand prix competition. I don't know if other people did the same, but I thought doing that, they would continue to do so. It seems that money is more important. All I know is that I'm very upset. :mad:

My husband also watches skating with me, most the time anyway. And I now watch baseball with him. Yesterday while flipping channels, there must've been 6 football games on, and that's with just basic cable channels, on top of the World Series play-off games that were going on. Figure Skating needs equal air time!!!

The planned coverage is, IMO, dismal this year....I am quite ticked :mad: that, as far as I can see, my first chance to watch figure skating this season is tonight....but it isn't on until 11:35pm. I don't know if I'm missing something where it's on earlier than that or not, but I canNOT stay up til 11:35pm to watch skating.....I can tape it and watch on Monday, but that just isn't the same.

LarasB

Rinkside
It was nice to see the new programs, however there where mistakes in almost all of them. It's up to you if you record it or not.

I just wrote to ESPN and Lifetime and sent them very gracious emails asking about the fact that they're not covering the competitions they have before. I don't know what they'll answer, but maybe if more of us would write, they might consider it.