Miki Ando, the most talented skater in the world | Golden Skate

Miki Ando, the most talented skater in the world

Tristan

Match Penalty
People should give her a break. She is only 16. Americans keep trying to type her as just a jumping been, but she is extremely talented in other aspects of her skating as well. In addition to her flowing movement, speed, misicality, she's got the look. I do not remember Kwan being that sophisticated when she was Ando's age and Ando certainly looks more elegant than Sasha today.
Miki Ando placed 4th at the Worlds which was her very first international senior competition. That is an incredible accomplishment!
People should grow up and be kind to up and coming young talents. I do not see Americans being even slightly negative to Meissner or Kahl both of whom do not even compare to Miki Ando in every department.

Americans are supposed to have the depth in ladies' figure skating that is unmatched? But, who do you really have besides Michelle and Sasha? Kirk, Amber, Angela or Meissner who just got beaten by 13 year-old Mao Asada?
Mao is not even old enough to compete in Japanese Nationals, which is certainly the toughest competiton in the world. If those American ladies competed in Japan, they would't even make the top 10. Had Ota, Onda, Nakano and Asada competed at the Worlds (supposing that up to three skater rule did not exit), There would have been no American skaters among top 6 except maybe Sasha.

You should worry about the lack of talent in your own country instead of constantly underrating new comers in other countries. Keeping Japanese down do not grant an American skater a gold medal. The world of figure skating is not a battle in Iraq and Americans do not call all the shots, you know? Wake up and doubt your own judgement for a change! :D

Last edited:

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Welcome to the board, Tristan. I hope you understand I am trying to say this in my sweet Granny style. When you first post on a forum it doesn't help to start out in a negative way. I'm sure you didn't mean to be so negative, just a moment of temper coming up. Evidently you don't like Americans but being nice for your first posts would go much further. The ones you have posted so far are pretty negative, especially towards Americans.
from Grgranny who tries so hard to keep the peace.

milanessa

Rinkside
I don't know what you read or heard that make you think Americans are typecasting Ando as a jumping bean and dismissing the rest of her formidable talents but I suspect it was a post somewhere by a Michelle or Sasha fan that went a little overboard. Just like your post goes a little overboard. Such is the way of some peoples idea of fandom. This is one American who believes Miki is well on her way to much competitive success and I wish her well.

gerry

tukinowaguma

Rinkside
I also like Ando. I think that she is the skater who has a talent very much. However, as for the fact, she has some subjects. It is lack of power of presentation. Moreover, I think that speed is also inferior compared with other elite skaters. I think that a program is not good. Her good point is elegant. However, I think that FP performance is not reflecting her graceful moving.
And I thinks that she has not reached on the level of Cohen or Kwan totally

floskate

On the Ice
To be fair Tristan has made a relevant point. Miki has taken a real bashing since Worlds on the boards and IMO much of it has been undeserved. I've read many posts that have trashed her skating in almost all areas apart from jumping which is ridiculous!! She's a much better skater than that and has more potential than many who are around at the moment who don't get nearly the amount of critisism - OR the hype it has to be said. However this is not JUST by Americans.

Kahle and Meissner aren't at Miki's level of exposure and experience yet but when they are I guess we'll see the bashing for them too. Hardly any skater is exempt from it.

However, targeting an entire nation and accusing it of bias - particularly as that nation is the most prominent fanwise in this sport seems a little naive and unwarranted IMO.

Japan rocks in ladies figure skating! From world champion Shuzuka Arakawa to sure thing 2010 Olympic gold medalist Mao Asada. :love:

That's what I think! :p

Mathman

mzheng

Record Breaker
I think. except jump, Ando has good basic skating which could carry her long way.

But most talented? I doubt. Opose to what you said, IMO, at age 16 Kwan had far more sophisted presentation skill than Ando. She won the world at age 16 with Solema, which up to this day still regarded as one of the best LP skated at worlds.

I gave you that, Ando's 4th finish at her first worlds is better than either MK, Sasha, or Sarah. And I even give you that Ando's edge, speed, stroking at worlds was better than Kwn at the same age ten years ago.

I'm an American and live in US, but I do appreciate good skating. Now hope this make you calm down a little.

me0w

Spectator
I do agree that Ando has good jumps and is a good strong skater for her age, however I'm not a big fan of her skating simply because her spins and spirals aren't up to scratch. I really like to see a skater with the whole package; artistic, spins, spiral, jumps, and Ando isn't there yet. However there is a lot of potential and being that she is 4th in the world, I'm sure we'll see her medalling quite soon if she works on all the other parts of her programs. :)

euterpe

Medalist
We all have our own favorites. It's fine that Ando happens to be yours, Tristan, but there's no need to be so negative about US skaters.

It was great that Miki Ando finished 4th at Worlds at age 16, but it happens that a US skater won Worlds at 14 (Tara Lipinski) and that two American FIFTEEN-year-old ladies won gold in the last two Olympics.

14-year-old Kimmie Meissner and Katy Taylor of the US finished 2nd and 3rd at 2004 Junior Worlds behind Miki Ando, beating Mai Asada and Aki Sawada. That was Miki's third try at Junior Worlds. Michelle Kwan won Junior Worlds on her first try, at age 13. That same year (1994) she finished 8th in her first try at Worlds. She was 4th at 1995 Worlds, at 14, and won the World Championship at fifteen.

Linny

Final Flight
Japan ladies

I'm having a brain fade and am having trouble remembering the name of MY favorite Japanese lady... not Sugari, not Arakara, not Onda... she was at senior worlds... arghhhh, what is her name?
Linny

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
Linny said:
I'm having a brain fade and am having trouble remembering the name of MY favorite Japanese lady... not Sugari, not Arakara, not Onda... she was at senior worlds... arghhhh, what is her name?
Linny
Perhaps you're thinking of Yukina Ota? She was not at Worlds (Arakawa, Ando, and Suguri were), but won the Four Continents competition. She was also the 2003 World Jr. Champion and placed 4th (?) at last year's Skate Canada.

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

Last edited:

jesslily

Final Flight
Miki Ando is very talented. She has very good basic skating skills, all her jumps are very secure, and she can even try quads. When you watch her compete, you are more relaxed because she is very reliable. When she was 14, Miki won the silver at Jr. world. AP got the gold. But obviously Miki had the outstanding jumping ability.

There are a few American girls won gold or silver at Jr. world. It really depended where, who, and how. I felt at last year's Jr. world at least one American girl was overmarked. And one Japaness girl and one Chinese girl were way undermarked.

Welcome to the Board, Tristan. I'm not sure where you get the notion that members are bashing Miki. You have to allow for the limitations some have in expressing themselves in writing. Not everyone in Golden Skate has English as a mother tongue and some of those who do, like me, are not the best at expressing themselves.

You many not be aware of it but some years back Michelle Kwan was called a jumping bean, and she was 13. It can be taken as a compliment to express the wonderful possibilities Miki has in the jumping field. Prior to Worlds she was not seen by most posters on this Board. All we heard was that she does quads. When Worlds was shown on TV, we did indeed see her prowess for jumping. I think this year when we see Miki again, we will see a somewhat more rounded skater than at Worlds. She did do well there and should be proud of herself.

On a pesonal note I am not interested in lady skaters until they are at least 20, and men skaters until they are at least 22. Anything before those ages, I do see potential and certainly Miki Ando is among the tops.

Joe

tukinowaguma

Rinkside
jesslily said:
Miki Ando is very talented. She has very good basic skating skills, all her jumps are very secure, and she can even try quads. When you watch her compete, you are more relaxed because she is very reliable. When she was 14, Miki won the silver at Jr. world. AP got the gold. But obviously Miki had the outstanding jumping ability.

There are a few American girls won gold or silver at Jr. world. It really depended where, who, and how. I felt at last year's Jr. world at least one American girl was overmarked. And one Japaness girl and one Chinese girl were way undermarked.
Taking about Aki Sawada? . she also has a talent. For a world junior championship, although it was not able to ride on the podium, she is the skater of the expectation of the next generation by Mao Asada. Incidentally,Her coach is the same as the coach of Ota. however she as well as many other skaters is Fluts . Yesterday AKI participated in the part of the junior of the Kinki block held in Shiga Japan. Of course, the result of short program is the 1st place. Ota appears SP today.

gezando

Final Flight
Tristan said:
People should give her a break. She is only 16. Americans keep trying to type her as just a jumping been, but she is extremely talented in other aspects of her skating as well. In addition to her flowing movement, speed, misicality, she's got the look. I do not remember Kwan being that sophisticated when she was Ando's age and Ando certainly looks more elegant than Sasha today.
Miki Ando placed 4th at the Worlds which was her very first international senior competition. That is an incredible accomplishment!

I don't think she is just a jumping bean. I agree that she is extremely talented. If you want to compare her absolute accomplishment at 16 to e.g a 16 y/o Michelle, and 16 y/o Cohen, then Michelle had a world gold and world silver medal at 16. Cohen at 16 had a 6th place finish in junior world , and she placed 4th in world at 18 in 2003. At 16 Miki's world competition accomplishment is between MK at 16 and Cohen at 16. Mk was junior world champion at 13, and Miki was junior world champion at 15? Both MK and Ando were natioinal champ at 15.

Ando is the first lady skater to land a quad jump in offical competition that is quite a feat. She is ahead of Kwan and Cohen.

Ando has good basics and with her jumping abilities I think that will carry her a long way.

Last edited:

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
Perhaps you came to this Forum at the wrong time, Tristan. There just happened to be a thread that concentrated on Miki alone (the first I believe, which indicates she is well on her way), and I do remember there being many negative comments (along with quite a bit of praise). But, I will say this: start a thread about ANY skater (especially Michelle and Sasha) and you will get loads of criticism in response (along with plenty of praise). This is a very balanced board...you get all kinds here. Oddly enough, I've never gotten the feeling that there is any kind of identifiable American bias on this board. Most people that post here know good skating when they see it and could really care less where the skater/skaters comes from. Also, there are numerous fans of Suguri, Arakawa, Ota, Ando, Onda, etc. to be found here. So, I urge you to stick around and read everything. You will find that there are just as many people that love Miki's skating as there are those that don't particularly care for it. It is like that for every skater no matter what nation they happen to be from.

Anyway, back to Miki. I find her to be a very promising skater. Her SP last year was elegant and really showed that she was capable of so much. She has great jumps and an emerging style that is very pleasing. However, like all skaters that are 15-17, she also has things she needs to continue to work on. She needs to refine her presentation skills to maximize effectiveness, and the spins/spirals could be stronger (though they are good now).

do not see Americans being even slightly negative to Meissner or Kahl both of whom do not even compare to Miki Ando in every department.

LOL, again, you must be new. Danielle Kahle has already been labelled a less successful Tara-clone by many on this board. Kahle isn't discussed much because she hasn't been knocking very loudly on the door. Perhaps she will. She has the potential. And, I would also say that Meissner gets her fair share of criticism. Even many of the posts praising her contain some mention of her cheated jumps or her unrefined presentation skills, etc. So, again, I urge you to stick around and read everything. You will see that every skater (especially the American ones) gets almost equally praised/bashed.

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
Tristan posted almost the exact same thing at FSU. That thread was locked quickly....

Laura :)

mzheng

Record Breaker
PrincessLeppard said:
Tristan posted almost the exact same thing at FSU. That thread was locked quickly....

Laura :)

Though under a different screen name? I was wondering if it's the same poster. I've seen similar posts all around the different boards lately.

Looks like with Japanese lady coming to be the force in figure skating competetion, the Japanese fans also come out full force on FS disscussion boards. A world war on figure skating board started?

Linny

Final Flight
Japanese Lady

Another thread helped jog my memory: my favorite Japanese lady at this time is Yoshie Onda. Similar last name to Miki. At any rate, her exhiburance has my heart... and the way she wears her own heart on her sleeve. Miki is lovely, but she's a more contained skater than Yoshie. Guess it is just personal preference.
Linny