Alexander Abt in N. Korea | Golden Skate

Alexander Abt in N. Korea

There is an interesting feature in the latest issue of Spotlight on Skating about Alexander Abt. Since his retirement from eligible skating he has spent a lot of time in Japan headlining shows for the Prince (Hotels) Ice World tour. From there he was invited to do some shows in North Korea. He was there for nine days, even though he only did three shows, because there is only one flight out of the country per week. Likewise, there is only one television station, which mostly broadcasts patriotic messages extolling the virtues of the North Korean Supreme Leader.

"(North) Korea is pretty bad for the people that live there and it's like going back in time one-hundred years. (It is) probably the only place on earth that is a completely closed country."

Three secret police/bodyguards were assigned to accompany him everywhere he went, to make sure that he did not speak to any Korean people. His guards were forbidden to speak to him also. The international skaters stayed in a big hotel -- 20 stories high -- but it was completely empty except for them. Abt's room was the only one that had hot water, so the other skaters had to come to his room to take showers. And at ten at night all the lights would go off because there was no electricity.

"It is such a strict closed country they even took my cell phone and passport," says Sasha.

On a pleasanter note, Abt says that the country does have a skating program. "One guy did a triple Axel and a girl did five triples" in the show. And Alexander's 4 year old son now speaks both Russian and Japanese.:)

Mathman

Zanzibar

Final Flight
Last edited:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Mathman:

Thanks for the update on Abt. One of my favorite skaters.

Evdokia

On the Ice
There are some pics of Makar Abt, Sasha Abt & little Sasha Zhulina on Ari Zakarian's page:

http://www.xtremeice.org/images/gallery/10947922184141341b09c0d.jpg
http://www.xtremeice.org/images/gallery/109479227341413451b72ca.jpg
http://www.xtremeice.org/images/gallery/109479225641413440d208a.jpg

The two littles ones are just too sweet, aren't they? :love:

And about Sasha and skating at shows: my friend Irene and me, we are currently collecting signatures for a petition, which will be sent to European show organizers, in order to get Sasha back skating on our continent again. ;)

So if you are European (or American who would like to visit a skating show in Europe :D) and would like to see Sasha in a show and to support our project, please e-mail either to Irene ([email protected]) or to me ([email protected]) until October 15, and we will send you to the letters to sign as soon as possible! :)

Zanzibar, are you KB? If so, that was a riveting piece of journalism.

On the other hand, if you are editor LH, that reminds me. It's time for me to renew my subscription. I won a year's subscription to Spotlight on Skating for predicting the winners of Four Continents last year. (I am working on my secret prediction formulas for this year now, LOL)

Evdokia, thank for the charming pictures. All together now, AAAWWWWWWW!

Mathman:)

Zanzibar

Final Flight
Hey Mathman - that's me. Glad you liked it.

I still can't get over how much little Sasha Zhulin looks like her Dad in those pix.

And some WONDERFUL ABT NEWS for European fans:

Sasha said tonight that he will skate in two (2) shows in December. They are Daniel Weiss shows, they may be televised, and believe the dates are
December 3 & the 17.

Last edited: