Value of used DVD player? | Golden Skate

Value of used DVD player?

mpal2

Final Flight
I have DVD/VCR combo unit and the VCR unit fizzed out a couple of days before Campbells so of course I had to run out and buy a new one. At least that was the intention. I ended up buying a DVD Recorder so I am storing things on a hard disc and making DVD's as soon as I learn how to use it. :laugh:

I have someone who needs a DVD player so she is interested in the combo unit and doesn't care about the bad VCR part. She said she would give me some money for it, but I don't know how much to ask for it. Any ideas? The DVD player still works perfectly. It is only 2-3 years old and I think I only paid about $100 for it to begin with.

Thanks!

sk8m8

Final Flight
what a neat question. the simple question is, how little can you take for it and still walk away happy. DVD players are about 39.00 now. How about 1/2 of that. You got your use out of it, you got a new one, and it's like getting a 20 dollar rebate on something that has "planned obselecence" built right in. :laugh:

Anyway, there are some very easy to understand books at the usual outlets on the ins and outs of digital recording. Just think, when you capture your video it will never degrade and you can rewind and catch flutzes to your hearts content with no worry of wearing out the disk.

Enjoy!

mpal2

Final Flight
Thanks sk8m8,

I didn't want to be unreasonable because she's a friend. I would have given it to her for free, but I could tell she didn't want to feel like she was taking advantage of me either. :) I'll let her know.

I've actually been turning my tapes into DVD's for some time now although the project has been slow. Between work and chores and don't have time for my hobby. I bought a unit and program for my computer. I just hooked up the VCR to the computer for a video capture and then did the edit and DVD burn from the computer.

I had more time to play with my new toy today and I think I still be hooking it up to the computer. My software program has a much nicer DVD menu program. I can put any background picture I want in the menu as well as making motion thumbnail buttons from any point of the video. I can even edit in music and video fades. The DVD recorder I bought doesn't do that and it is much less user friendly. The software program is pretty simple.

At least now I can use the DVD recorder to edit out commercials while being lazy in bed instead of sitting downstairs on the computer. :p I can then capture a commercial free video on the computer.

Last edited:

mpal2

Final Flight
I am using Pinnacle Studio version 8.8

I don't know if there is a higher version out because I haven't checked yet. The current version still works just fine for me. I do know there is an expansion pack for this version with additional fade effects between scenes and menu titles. I haven't bothered to purchase it because I can make do with what I have or create my own.

It cost about $100 to get the box and software to convert tapes to the computer. I can also hook up camcorders and other recording devices. I have the box that will also convert back to tape but the last time I was at the store, there was one that only went one way to the computer. I think it was cheaper and who wants to convert back to tape anyway?

Edited process in for further information. :) I just wanted to clarify the process. The video capture is extremely sensitive so you want to shut down every nonessential program on your computer. I even disconnect the internet. You can set 3 different levels of quality for video capture. I have mine set to DVD which means that only 1 hour of video captured will fit on the DVD-R unless you force it to scrunch in.

When you force more than 1 hour of video, you will want to render the DVD overnight because it has to drop pixels which takes forever. I did that once and I went to bed after about 4 hours of waiting. I dont' know how long it actually took to make the movie.

You can render the movie and burn directly to disc or have it render to your computer. Then you can go back and burn it do a disc. I have learned to render the movie to the PC and check it out before burning the disc. Sometimes the video capture problems don't show up until the movie is rendered. It's most noticable when the announcers are talking. Their lips don't match the sound.

I watch the movie on my PC before burning to disc so I don't waste them anymore. I am logging the skaters and programs in a database anyway so watching the movie from my PC works fine for me. If you're in a hurry, you can do a quick check on just the announcers talking so you know if there is a problem or not.

Have fun. :D It is a huge project. Like I said, I'll still be hooking of the dvd recorder to the computer for my special skating projects but at least I'll never have to buy video casettes again for regular programming that I'll miss. I'll just hit record, watch and delete. :D

Last edited: