Michelle is out of the GP series | Golden Skate

Michelle is out of the GP series

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I will miss seeing her compete and feel that skating under the COP would be beneficial . OTOH Michelle seems to know what works best for her. S, whatever she decides is fine with me (like I have a say, LOL). I wonder if this has anything to do with the sore back? I hope that she will recieve the same treatment that Plushy has with his decision. In the past she has recieved some not so kind remarks on the boards for skipping the GP. As long as no rules are broken I see nothing wrong with skaters choosing when they want to compete..

euterpe

Medalist
I think Kwan recognizes that even though she won Campbell's, her program still needs a lot of work, and rushing to improve it for the GP is only going to aggravate her back pain. She is taking a risk by not competing under CoP before Worlds, but she has had seasons before (2002-2003, for one) where she pretty much sat out most competitions and still did a spectacular job at Worlds.

This year is going to be tough, though, with Worlds in Moscow.

I think Michelle will make a decision by the end of this year as to whether she will go on to Torino. I won't be overly surprised if she wins her 9th US title and then decides to retire.

bleuchick

On the Ice
Mark my words...she is going to Torino....there is some unfinish business there...
I really don't see her retiring prior to Torino. In fact, I see her doing SOI....thanks to Dean ;)

Now regarding the latest news:

injury is just a reason. I like to think there is more ....

sk8ing_lady2001

Final Flight
Oh dear! I'm going to miss her at Skate America. I also wanted to see her perform "You Raise Me Up". Is there any other chance I'll get to see Michelle live? I know I did at Campbell's last year, but that's another story. *cries* :(

bronxgirl

Medalist
The news is quite disappointing. It does make me wonder if there was more to her back pain than she's let on.

Excidra2001

On the Ice
One week before the event begins she decides to withdraw, I wonder how SA organizers are feeling right about now.
I cant' say this is a wise decision, I mean she's known to skip out the GPS but now COP is being used and she has never been judged under this new system. It would've been best for her to stick through with COP. Now i'm wondering how she will fair at worlds, since Slutskaya, Cohen, Shizuka all will have experienced COP going into worlds.
I wish her all the best. :)

rtureck

Final Flight
bronxgirl said:
The news is quite disappointing. It does make me wonder if there was more to her back pain than she's let on.

She has this back pain on / off since 2001,

sk8m8

Final Flight
She is taking a risk by not competing under CoP before Worlds, but she has had seasons before (2002-2003, for one) where she pretty much sat out most competitions and still did a spectacular job at Worlds.

Euterpe, I can almost agree to with you about the risk of not competing under CoP before worlds, however, I also believe that her programs, mistakes and all was the "winningest" program in terms of CoP at the contests. In fact, I was actually thinking that the program was beautifully choreographed around CoP challanges and taking full advantage of upping her score as high as possible without adding a 3X3. Just a thought....(Always love your posts :) )

Talk about me being vexed? What in hell, is the problem with her? If it is the back pain. OK, say it. Just don't leave the competitions she has signed up for without any valid explanation.

I have said for years that she is mysterious, but this is too much. Too much at stake with the upcoming season, one leading to the CoP trials at GPs and the other to the PreOly Worlds.

Is she planning to quite skating this season?

Joe

Vash01

Medalist
It is disappointing, but look at it this way.

Michelle has won just about every championship, except for the OGM. I do believe she really wants it in Torino and that is why she is saving herself from possible serious injuries. She has been around more than 10 years and her body has taken a lot of wear and tear. The GP season can be brutal, with a lot of travel, practices, pressure, etc. If she loses the gold at worlds in 2005 because she is not used to the COP, it will be only a small disappointment. If she cannot be healthy for the Olympics in 2006 because she pushed herself too hard this season, that will be a Major Major disappointment.

I don't know the reasons behind her decision, but I do see some positives about it.

Vash

bronxgirl

Medalist
In reading the notice on the USFSA site, it made it sound that she was offered the slots at the GPs in June, and just gave her answer now (at least that's the way I read it). Something still doesn't sound kosher about all of this. Is she worried about aggravating an injury? Is she really just saving her energy for the Natls (doesn't make sense since she's supposed to do the Marshalls "World Cup" in December) Is she really planning for Turin? Way too many questions... :confused:

Ok Vash. I understand what you are saying. But Irina has been around for 10 years and Volchova and Sokolova for at least nine, and Sasha too has been around for at least six years, and they are skating.

I think MK has to explain this decision.

Joe

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
Oh my, this is quite disappointing. I can only imagine it must be the back pain or some kind of injury. At any rate, Michelle knows what is best for herself. I wish her the best and I hope it is nothing too serious. Skate America will be just fine. They still have Sasha and she is quite a draw.

Lucy25

Final Flight
Joesitz said:
Ok Vash. I understand what you are saying. But Irina has been around for 10 years and Volchova and Sokolova for at least nine, and Sasha too has been around for at least six years, and they are skating.

I think MK has to explain this decision.

Joe

I don't think Michelle has to explain anything to anyone. Why is it people think they are owed an explanation for her decisions? I admit that I think not doing the GP is not a good move, but that's my opinion. I have no right to question her about a situation I really know nothing about.

Irina could very well take the GP's off. She has been around the skating block and has won more titles than most people. The others you list have not, although they, too, could take any time off they wanted to. It is their choice. I just don't see where the anger at Michelle is coming from. Are people mad because they think it is a foolish decision? Are they mad because they feel it is somehow unfair to the rest of the skaters? Are they mad because she is not doing what they expect her to? I think people need to chill out.

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
Are people mad because they think it is a foolish decision? Are they mad because they feel it is somehow unfair to the rest of the skaters? Are they mad because she is not doing what they expect her to? I think people need to chill out.

I think it is a combination of those, Lucy. And, maybe people are upset because they were so pumped to see her compete. But, I definitely agree. Michelle knows what is best for Michelle. She also has so many great people to consult with about these kinds of decisions as well. She hasn't become the champion she is by making horrendous decisions.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I must say that I am not surprised that she has not decided to skate in the Grand Prix. What I am surprised about is that it is so close to an actual competition, that I am thinking it must be injury related. If you will recall Peter Carruther's interview with Michelle after she won this last competition, he said something to the effect that "We'll see you at Skate America". Michelle hesitated just a fraction and smiled before she said yes. I thought it sounded ominous then.......

Look, if it is an old injury or an ongoing one, it's better to pull out now and reduce the risk of further aggravation........look how many athletes didn't......Tara, Yags, Elvis.....competed with injuries that left them with possible permanent disabilities.....We are all disappointed, but let's not tar and feather her for this......athletes pull out of competitions ALL the time................4242

bronxgirl

Medalist
show 42 said:
I must say that I am not surprised that she has not decided to skate in the Grand Prix. What I am surprised about is that it is so close to an actual competition, that I am thinking it must be injury related. If you will recall Peter Carruther's interview with Michelle after she won this last competition, he said something to the effect that "We'll see you at Skate America". Michelle hesitated just a fraction and smiled before she said yes. I thought it sounded ominous then.......

I think that's what everyone is so surprised at, that it's so close to Skate America. It does make it sound like an injury. And if it is, what would be the big deal about saying so? Lord knows we've heard about Plush's knees, Tara's hip, Sasha's back - so if she injured, what would be the big deal about saying so? She admitted her fractured toe years ago.