Michelle is out of the GP series | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Michelle is out of the GP series

mpal2

Final Flight
The only thing I've seen so far is the US Figure Skating Website announcement. I wonder if there will be a more detailed press release later. She may have just given them a heads up and they announced it as soon as they heard. :confused: Just wondering.

Rather than disappointment, something like this makes me realize how much each performance from Michelle ought to be treasured, because you never know what the future will bring.
rtureck said:
She has this back pain on / off since 2001,
Michelle mentioned it again in her interview with Barry Mittan for Golden Skate last month.

"[Kwan] also admitted to having a few back problems. "I haven't done a layback in a few weeks [due to the pain]. Here, tonight, I had to do the layback, and 'Whoa!' Its hard with the new system to be doing them because you have to do like four different positions. You're grabbing your leg, twisting and moving this way and that. It takes a long time to get used to."

She has said many times that skating at the top level gets harder and harder on the body -- she's not thirteen any more. As Show 42 mentions, look at all the skaters in their early twenties who have retired from competition recently because their bodies just can't take it any more. Lucky for me, but unlucky for skating fans in Pittsburgh, Michelle evidently feels that training for and performing in made-for-TV specials like the Marshall's event in Detroit in December are not so arduous.

As for testing the CoP, I don't think that's much of a factor in her decision. She and her advisors can read and they can also consult CoP-trained judges.

I don't see any reason not to take Michelle's own words at face value:

“I chose not to compete in the Grand Prix Series the past two years, and I feel that my overall skating benefited from the reduced competition schedule,” said Kwan, who won both the U.S. and World titles in 2003 and the U.S. title and the World bronze medal last season. “I have decided to take the same approach this year, so I respectfully decline the invitation to participate in the Grand Prix Series and will focus on getting ready for the U.S. Championships.”

She could elaborate on this, and maybe she will, but I don't see any big mystery.

Mathman

skatingfan5

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
Ok Vash. I understand what you are saying. But Irina has been around for 10 years and Volchova and Sokolova for at least nine, and Sasha too has been around for at least six years, and they are skating.

I think MK has to explain this decision.

Joe
I don't think Michelle has to "explain" this decision to me, but others feel otherwise. Because I'm curious, I'd like to know everything behind this decision and if/how much possible injury figured into the timing of the announcement. But I don't think Michelle owes me anything in that regard.

Sasha entered senior level competition with the 1999-2000 season, so that's five years ago. She has competed in the GP series four seasons beginning with 2000-01 (competing only in Skate America in 2001-02). Michelle first competed in Skate America way back in 1993 and has competed in the GP events for the equivalent of 7 complete seasons (she competed in 1994-95 before there even WAS a series) and competed in SA-only for two other years. I'd say that she's more than paid her dues and unlike Irina Slutskaya and Sokolova, she has the financial security to be able to decline the series.

katherine2001

On the Ice
I don't think that Michelle owes and explanation, but I do think she could be making a big mistake. She is not used to competing under the Code of Points, especially at Worlds. If she was competing under the Code of Points in the GPS, she could get feedback about how well her programs meet the criteria of the Code of Points, so that she and Christopher Dean could make changes in the program to maximize her points. Also, I can't help wondering if maybe she wouldn't have been penalized for going over time on her SP last year if she had skated the program more in competition last year. Maybe some of the international judges would have warned her that it might be a good idea to cut the length of the program just a little bit so that she wouldn't go over, since evidently, the US judges didn't warn her.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
Ok Vash. I understand what you are saying. But Irina has been around for 10 years and Volchova and Sokolova for at least nine, and Sasha too has been around for at least six years, and they are skating.

Joe

True they have been around but none have skated GP, Nationals, Worlds, and toured EVERY year during all of those years. Irina and Sasha both had a year off due to illness/ injury. Not their choice but time off of the ice is time spent NOT putting wear and tear on the joints. Why is there none of this type reaction on the thread regarding Plushy skipping GP? I guess folks are just more disappointed that they won't get to see Michelle? :D ;) :D

mzheng

Record Breaker
euterpe said:
I think Kwan recognizes that even though she won Campbell's, her program still needs a lot of work, and rushing to improve it for the GP is only going to aggravate her back pain. She is taking a risk by not competing under CoP before Worlds, but she has had seasons before (2002-2003, for one) where she pretty much sat out most competitions and still did a spectacular job at Worlds.

This year is going to be tough, though, with Worlds in Moscow.

I think Michelle will make a decision by the end of this year as to whether she will go on to Torino. I won't be overly surprised if she wins her 9th US title and then decides to retire.

ITA with you. Besides if team Kwan (RA, MK) and Dean couldn't have time together tweaking the program before SA (only 2 weeks away). Why show the same program twice. And she has to endure endless question why no new elements, no 3/3s?

I heard a few weeks back she had a back sprain when she practicing a spin in new position.

I'm very dissapointed too. This is actaully the first season I've ever anticipated SA and SC. Before SLC I diddn't care too much of GPs. After SLC when I finally converted, she chose to sit out most of seasons.

But I just hope she rest her body well, get back 100% when National and Worlds coming around. And kick majore @.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:

Joe

I'm with Lucy here. I don't think she needs to explain to any one. Rumore (last year) was she sometimes diddn't even mention those pain to her coach (RA).

Last edited by a moderator:

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I was initially surprised that she consented to a Grand Prix season this year. As for knowing how her program musters up for CoP, she could get feedback from judges and observers during practices as the season progresses. I know it's not the same as competing and skating in front of an audience, but she's done that enough over the years to know if it helps or not. If you'll remember her layback during "Bolero", it was very brief, not nearly held the same length that she normally holds it......maybe her back was hurting even then...............42

soogar

Record Breaker
I don't think she needs to explain anything to anyone. As for her programs under COP: she really doesn't need feedback from the judges. All she needs to do is choreograph a program with the knowledge of what is level 3,2,1 etc and put some steps before her jumps. I really can't see what a judge can tell her other than to critique how the program looks.

Anyway, I'm curious as to how old Shizuka is. At Worlds she was 25 and now in all these interviews in the skating mags, she's 22. She's not old enough to lie about her age! :p

mzheng

Record Breaker
sk8m8 said:
Euterpe, I can almost agree to with you about the risk of not competing under CoP before worlds, however, I also believe that her programs, mistakes and all was the "winningest" program in terms of CoP at the contests. In fact, I was actually thinking that the program was beautifully choreographed around CoP challanges and taking full advantage of upping her score as high as possible without adding a 3X3. Just a thought....(Always love your posts :) )

sk8m8, you were there at Campbell right? How about Arakawa's program? Every one said hers was the most CoP friendly among all ladies. And I do see a lot of betweens, and entry into jumps, etc. piled up with points to its maximn.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Exactly, soogar.........she doesn't really need to compete to get feedback on her program. I am sure there are many experts out there who would gladly critique her program for her......42

Pau-goodle76

Rinkside
I, too, don't think Michelle has to explain herself. It was her decision and she can do whatever she damn well pleases. Only bummer is, people who usually cut her down will be doing it even more now.. but, then what else is new? If it is her back, I hope she gets better. I support her no matter what and I'll still be cheering her on!

TNT2012

Rinkside
People are already forgetting that had she retired from Olympic-eligible skating after 1998 or even after 2002, we would not be having this discussion right now. Did any of us dream in 2001 that we would be discussing Michelle Kwan preparing for the Turino Olympics? And for many of her devoted fans who have been dreadfully expecting her big "R" announcement for the past few years, Michelle's decision to remain competitive for this long was an unexpected but wonderful gift. Every competition she's able to enter was savored to the utmost, for the future is not cast in stone, and that one competition could very well be the last competitive one for the Kween.

While we can marvel at the longevity of her skating career, something that is rather unheard of in the skating world, we have to realize that only Michelle herself knows what her body needs to keep maintaining this level or when to call it quits. Why should we question her judgement on sitting out the Gran Prix series this season and even her decision for doing so when she has proven that she knows her body well enough to do what is best to remain relatively injure-free and continue skating competitively. And so what if she will miss out on the COP experience by sitting out the Grand Prix series? Would Michelle Kwan fans be any happier of she had changed her program after skating at Skate America and Skate Canada to maximize COP point values, then decides to retire? Whatever decision she makes right now, (unless it's retiring) is just icing on the cake for me. She has already given so much to the skating world, the USFSA, the ISU, and to her fans by remaining competitive for this long that I don't believe she owes them or us anything. At least she doesn't owe me any explanation. How can I ask that from her when she has already given me much, much more every time she steps onto the ice now.

mzheng

Record Breaker
It was said at Campbell there is a seperate panel of CoP judges doing seperate sudeo CoP marks for each skater and late this CoP score will be hand over to skaters. This might not be good enough for experience a real CoP competetion. But at least some feed back is there to refer.

Eeyora

Final Flight
As a Kwan fan I too am very concerned about this decision. I think she should do this Grand Prix in order to get used to COP. I am not sure if working with an expert on COP is enough. I think she should compete just to see what a judging panel rates her programs. I am only sayingt this out of concern for Michelle. Plus I am a very pessimistic person.

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
soogar said:
Anyway, I'm curious as to how old Shizuka is. At Worlds she was 25 and now in all these interviews in the skating mags, she's 22. She's not old enough to lie about her age! :p

Shizuka will turn 23 on December 29, 2004.=)

Kuchana

On the Ice
Eeyora said:
As a Kwan fan I too am very concerned about this decision. I think she should do this Grand Prix in order to get used to COP. I am not sure if working with an expert on COP is enough. I think she should compete just to see what a judging panel rates her programs. I am only sayingt this out of concern for Michelle. Plus I am a very pessimistic person.

Me, too. Especially with how worlds fared last year but even worse with worlds held in Russia. I'm worried about the judging there. I hope she kicks butt and blows everyone away.

But I respect her wishes and wish her the best.

Lucy25 said:
I don't think Michelle has to explain anything to anyone. Why is it people think they are owed an explanation for her decisions? I admit that I think not doing the GP is not a good move, but that's my opinion. I have no right to question her about a situation I really know nothing about.

Irina could very well take the GP's off. She has been around the skating block and has won more titles than most people. The others you list have not, although they, too, could take any time off they wanted to. It is their choice. I just don't see where the anger at Michelle is coming from. Are people mad because they think it is a foolish decision? Are they mad because they feel it is somehow unfair to the rest of the skaters? Are they mad because she is not doing what they expect her to? I think people need to chill out.
Lucy -NO ONE is MAD at the decision. There may be good reason for the withdrawal or just plain strategy, or the beginning of the retirement announcement. We don't know. In my case, I am mad at the withdrawal without explanation. MK has a lot of fans that deserve a reason for her withdrawing from the GPs, and not saying if she will do Marshalls, Nats, and Worlds if she makes Worlds. I'm not even thinking Torino.

If the others I listed did take off from skating, we would know why. Irina is a prime example. They keep their fans informed.

Many posters believe MK does not have to share her skating-related-decisions with her fans. IMO, this is bad Public Relations.

Joe

Last edited:

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Kwan Missing GP

I can't imagine the USFSA getting too angry about Kwan skipping the GP again. As I understand the ISU rules, the fact that 3 US ladies are going to Worlds this year means that the placements of the top two dictate how many US ladies go to Olys; no matter how well Sasha does, she can't secure 3 places by herself. Who is more likely to join Sasha in securing 3 places -- Corwin, Kirk, Kwan, or Nikodinov? I, for one, would not be surprised if Kwan goes to Worlds, helps secure 3 places, and then retires -- after making life a lot easier for the up-and-comers than was done for her, when she got stuck cleaning up the mess created by the Tonya/Nancy mess.

lavender

Record Breaker
Well I think she has a nagging back injury. However I’m not really disappointed because I really don’t care about the gp but I think Michelle’s going to have to settle for her love of skating and not worry about placement. If she cares about placement then this is a bad idea.

All the other skaters mentioned haven’t’ been on top long and there’s a difference when your on top.

Also why people think she would retired right before the Olympics. We all know that that's really her focus. I think she's trying to keep her body and not put all that stress on it so that she can make it to Nationals to try out for Torino. However I wish her so much luck because I can't really see her winning worlds in Moscow. Maybe her focus is just to place well enough.