Michelle is out of the GP series | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Michelle is out of the GP series

No, no, Dee, it's number four:

4. She is upset that she didn't have a costume like Julia Sebesten's. Not only could she have skated to Bolero but she could have been Torville AND Dean.
:laugh: To order "Piel's One-Liner's, The Master Collection," contact her agent at MMpromotions.com.

But seriously, what is remarkable to me about this whole topic is how Michelle can dominate figure skating news -- especially Internet discussion boards -- by doing nothing at all. She upstages everyone else without even being on stage.

I think Linny made a good point, too. Never let 'em see you bleed.

Mathman

OT -- Kevin van der Perren on Michelle Kwan (quoted in an interview by Kathleen Bangs for Spotlight on Skating):

Q: What skaters do you admire?

Kevin: Growing up, it was Kurt Browning, no doubt. Like Alexei Yagudin, he is the whole package...I like Katarina Witt of course, Oksana Baiul, and Michelle Kwan is probably going to be my all-time favorite.

Q: Why Michelle?

Kevin: I don't know. First of all, on the ice -- she's "The Queen." Off the ice, she's so nice to everybody and never puts on an act. Always spontaneous -- I like people like that.

Me, too, Kevin.:)

Mathman

Mathman said:
:
But seriously, what is remarkable to me about this whole topic is how Michelle can dominate figure skating news -- especially Internet discussion boards -- by doing nothing at all.Mathman

Tara WHO? Sarah WHO?

Joe

ladybug

On the Ice
Could it be that the USFSA didn't want Michelle to announce that she wouldn't be at Skate America. Look how many tickets sold because everyone thought she would be there. Myself included.

When Sarah was hurt at Skate America and Michelle agreed to step in for her, ticket sales went through the roof. I am certain that the USFSA didn't forget that and with sales not what they used to be, Michelle's name helped greatly with the $$$.

Just maybe Michelle knew all along she wouldn't be doing the GP but agreed to help up the sport just one more time. Maybe her back is hurt somewhat but not enough to withdraw from the GP but she feels she should rest it so she won't be injured for Nationals. She could have lied but that isn't her style. She never makes excuses so she told the truth. She does better overall when she doesn't over work her body.

Ladybug

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kwan would not have been allowed to compete just at Skate America. She made that request one season many years back and was turned down by the ISU. Supposedly, seeded skaters MUST do a minimum of two events.

Meanwhile, Plushy is touring in his own show instead of doing the GP and will do CoR only, and the ISU apparently has OK'd it.

Go figure.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
ladybug said:
Just maybe Michelle knew all along she wouldn't be doing the GP but agreed to help up the sport just one more time.Ladybug
How is that helping the sport???.............and how is that not lying????

Dee

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
chuckm said:
Kwan would not have been allowed to compete just at Skate America. She made that request one season many years back and was turned down by the ISU. Supposedly, seeded skaters MUST do a minimum of two events.

But didn't she do that just 2 years ago, when she filled in for Hughes?

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Jonny.........I'm thinking that was a one time substitution. A last minute, "I know you're not signed up for the GP, but we need help" situation. Plushy, I believe, planned on only one event all along. I could be wrong.............42

Now that I got my frustration out I am thinking about the figure skating judges. We all know they are supposed to judge only that which the skater gives at the time of the skater's programs. We also know, that there are numerous kinds of subliminal influences in judging: nationalism, ethnicity, favoritism, familiar music, costumes, etc. What about supporting the ISU? The Gran Prix is the ISU baby and not to participate would seem to me to be an insult to the judging system. Do you think, some judges will be influenced by MK's decision?

Joe

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
I'm disappointed that she's not skating the GP because I want to see her skate, and I think it would benefit her. Skate is very political, and I think it would be beneficial for her to play the game. I wondered if the SP time deduction at Worlds last year had anything to do with her not doing the GP.

Someone made an interesting point about the timing of her withdrawal and the USFSA. There had been rumors about whether or not she was doing the GP for some time prior to her announcement. Maybe the USFSA wanted it to appear as though she was skating for the sake of ticket sales?

Additionally, I think there would have been bruhaha surrounding any explanation that she provided. Someone would have been upset and started MK bashing regardless.

Anyway, I assume she knows what she is doing. For someone who apparently likes to compete so much, and appears to be taking skating more seriously that she did in the past two years, not doing the GP is surprising to me.

peachstatesk8er

On the Ice
Michelle out of GP

I think it would benefit Michelle greatly to compete the GP, but honestly, from a purely selfish standpoint, I'm glad she's not attending because that means many of her more, er, "loyal fans" are selling their tickets and won't be there to act like crazy people. :D

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
peachstatesk8er said:
I think it would benefit Michelle greatly to compete the GP, but honestly, from a purely selfish standpoint, I'm glad she's not attending because that means many of her more, er, "loyal fans" are selling their tickets and won't be there to act like crazy people. :D

Huh??? What in your opinion is acting like crazy people?

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
If her back is hurting, and it seems apparant that it is, why all the fuss about her pulling out of the competitions? I don't recall any other skater with a nagging injury or pain getting a bad rap when they couldn't compete! 42

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
I can't believe all the negative comments! The poor girl is in pain, cannot do a layback spin, which is a required element in the SP and has decided to withdraw for that reason. I think we know Michelle is too much of a class act to withdraw from a competition at the last minute just because of a whim. As disappointed as some of her fans may be, I'm sure she's twice as disappointed. She was probably counting on the GP Series to settle into the CoP before Worlds.

Lynn51

Rinkside
It was reported that Michelle has had back pain and it's possible that she may have aggravated the problem even more when she fell on her foot work.

Lynn

TNT2012

Rinkside
tharrtell said:
...Anyway, I assume she knows what she is doing. For someone who apparently likes to compete so much, and appears to be taking skating more seriously that she did in the past two years, not doing the GP is surprising to me.

I don't think it's the amount of competitions she enters that she enjoy so much, but rather the adrenaline rush and thrill she gets once she's competing. Michelle has stated on numerous occasions that the feeelings she gets competing at Nationals is even more thrilling and intense than at Worlds. I believe that one of the main things that keeps her motivated in continuing in this sport year after year is to experience that electrifying energy and vibe that only Nationals can bring. Had she not often deliver her most spellbinding and passionate skating performances at this event? It would be wonderful to see more of Michelle to whet our hunger for any magic that she might weave, but I would rather see a healthy Michelle at Nationals and perhaps witness the incredible energy electrifying a whole arena that her skating has often produce at that event.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Wow, the thread still going.

Let me add one more, since this thread is the shortest one among the boards I've visited.

As a MK fan I say camp Kwan made the right decition and a smart one with every thing considered.

Rest well Michelle. Get back to your 100%. See you kwick @# at National and Worlds!!!