Michelle is out of the GP series | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Michelle is out of the GP series

mzheng

Record Breaker
TNT2012 said:
I believe that one of the main things that keeps her motivated in continuing in this sport year after year is to experience that electrifying energy and vibe that only Nationals can bring. Had she not often deliver her most spellbinding and passionate skating performances at this event? It would be wonderful to see more of Michelle to whet our hunger for any magic that she might weave, but I would rather see a healthy Michelle at Nationals and perhaps witness the incredible energy electrifying a whole arena that her skating has often produce at that event.

My thought exactly. Besides you can't expect her giving those inspiring performances every week in GPs. The electrify energy she might give out in GP events will miss in National or Worlds.

Or may be she just want leave every of her performance on ice from now on a memorable performance.

Can't resist to help the thread. :laugh:

Piel said:
Huh??? What in your opinion is acting like crazy people?
Oh, you know -- throwing those crazy flowers and teddy bears on the ice, cheering and shouting and jumping up and down in their seats, that sort of thing.

As for the guy at Cambell's who held up the Michelle, Marry Me sign, he was kind of a cutie, didn't you think?

MM ;)

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
If her back is hurting, and it seems apparant that it is, why all the fuss about her pulling out of the competitions? I don't recall any other skater with a nagging injury or pain getting a bad rap when they couldn't compete! 42
Thats because none of those other skaters were named Michelle Kwan

rtureck

Final Flight
hockeyfan said:
I suspect that there are more than a few heartbroken kids who got their parents to fork over big bucks for Skate America tickets,

Since Skate America is schedule for Thurs - Sunday, how many parents are willing to take their kids away from school for a trip to Pittsburgh? I imagine some local kids may want to attend the Sat comp and Sun exhibition. I believe individual competitiion / exhibition tickets can be purchased only after all the all events tickets are all sold. I don't know how big bucks are SA. An event ticket is about $160? certainly nothing compare to the big bucks of world 04 tickets and a trip to Dortmund :D

Mathman said:
Oh, you know -- throwing those crazy flowers and teddy bears on the ice, cheering and shouting and jumping up and down in their seats, that sort of thing.

As for the guy at Cambell's who held up the Michelle, Marry Me sign, he was kind of a cutie, didn't you think?

MM ;)

Add a line to the ?

Last edited:

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Mathman said:

Why? Was it YOU? Are you pro bigamy?? :love: :) :D :laugh:

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I took a quick tour of some of the other boards, and boy, is Michelle taking a beating.......if her back wasn't aching before, it sure must be now...... :rolleye: 42

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
It's amazing that the fan sites of her competitors have threads on Michelle that are longer than the threads for the sites' namesake. For someone who is boring, over the hill, and now it seems a disgrace to the skating world, an awful lot of energy is spent speculating about her, LOL. How anyone could have so much disdain for someone they have never met is just STRANGE, IMO.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
sk8m8 said:
funny, 42, I've never seen a back sprain resemble so many knife wounds! :eek:

Mattell must have released the "Michelle Kwan Voodoo Barbie". ;) :D ;)

RealtorGal said:
I can't believe all the negative comments! The poor girl is in pain, cannot do a layback spin, which is a required element in the SP and has decided to withdraw for that reason. I think we know Michelle is too much of a class act to withdraw from a competition at the last minute just because of a whim. As disappointed as some of her fans may be, I'm sure she's twice as disappointed. She was probably counting on the GP Series to settle into the CoP before Worlds.

Nice post, RG.

Michelle won the Campbell's cheesefest, and the NonKwans always come out in force after she wins anything. Nitpicking, nitpicking, nitpicking.

Plushenko is not a special case when he is keeping all his committments with the many shows he's scheduled to do. He's probably bored of the GP and I don't blame him. He wants the Olys badly, and that's what he is working towards. Good luck to him.

There's no pain like the pain you have. I know this as fact, since I've had physical pain in my life many times. If MK has back pain which can be very serious when caused by the spinal cord. We don't know the extent of her problem. For the NonKwans who gloat over this, and they are gloating with their constant nitpicks, I say, just pray you never have the problem.

Joe

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
Dare I ask what is being said on those boards? While I admit to being surprised by decision (not so much after hearing about the back) and feared it might have a negative political effect on her later, I believe that she's got the right to approach her skating as she wishes. Why do people care so much? At this point, she has done more for the sport than anyone could ask, and, even if that were not the case, why should she HAVE to do certain competitions? That's just silliness. I just might have to check out those other boards at the risk of my blood pressure.

Linny

Final Flight
Michelle Marry Me

Excuse me, did I understand that Mathman is already married to someone else? That he didn't hold out for Michelle?

And he won't throw over his current wife if Michelle should look his way?

Wait a darned minute here. I was all prepared to throw over my current husband if Mathman should look MY way.

Oh, so confusing...

Linny

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
tharrtell said:
Dare I ask what is being said on those boards? While I admit to being surprised by decision (not so much after hearing about the back) and feared it might have a negative political effect on her later, I believe that she's got the right to approach her skating as she wishes. Why do people care so much? At this point, she has done more for the sport than anyone could ask, and, even if that were not the case, why should she HAVE to do certain competitions? That's just silliness. I just might have to check out those other boards at the risk of my blood pressure.

I also worry about the negative political effect with the judges/ISU...even the USFSA. (I know I will get beaten up for this comment, but I'm going to make it, anyway...) The time rule, which, to my knowledge, hadn't really been enforced before...was suddenly enforced last year...on her. She hadn't competed in GP's for two seasons (her last minute entry into SA was just that...last minute)...

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
rtureck said:
I believe individual competitiion / exhibition tickets can be purchased only after all the all events tickets are all sold. I don't know how big bucks are SA. An event ticket is about $160? certainly nothing compare to the big bucks of world 04 tickets and a trip to Dortmund :D
I grew up on the East Coast, where traveling two hours to get to the next city was a big deal, and driving five hours to two cities away was a really big deal. When I went to college, I was blown away by friends who lived in St. Paul who would drive to Chicago for the weekend. Chances are pretty good, then, that there are people who live two-ten hours away who are willing to make this trip to see Kwan skate.

Tickets for the Ladies' final and Exhibition are $36.25-$50, with the Ladies' SP on Friday night (no school missed) going for $31-$44.75, and if there are two-three people going, even for two days that could be a couple of hundreds of dollars worth of tickets. That isn't the equivalent of not being able to go to Worlds or Nationals, although given the exchange rate at the time, Euros in Malmo was only a couple of hundred dollars for the full seven days' ticket, but I wouldn't be happy losing it, if my kid's heart was set on it. My parents gave me tickets to Pavarotti's first NY recital for my 15th birthday, and I would have been devastated if anyone else had substituted for him, even Gedda.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
tharrtell said:

It's the same Kwan bashers who are out with renewed fire power over her withdrawal from SA. A virtual litany of the many sins of Michelle Kwan. She has been blamed for everything except hiding Osama.

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
Piel said:
It's the same Kwan bashers who are out with renewed fire power over her withdrawal from SA. A virtual litany of the many sins of Michelle Kwan. She has been blamed for everything except hiding Osama.

I can just see Wofice replying to this... "You mean she DIDN'T hide Osama?

You're right! SHE IS OSAMA!" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: