A few Finlandia Trophy thoughts | Golden Skate

A few Finlandia Trophy thoughts

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Unfortunately I did not write anything up and my memory is very bad. Generally speaking I would say that I enjoyed the programme choreographies and most performances although there were a lot mistakes. Many skaters were really into their music, and a couple that just skated without much interpretation.

Finnish ladies filled the podium, although the winner was a bit surprise. As always I rooted for Susanna again, but had the feeling that Alisa Drei should have won. On the other hand it was very close and I can understand that the judges prefer Susanna´s beautiful and elegant looking skating. Also I was a bit surprised of Elina Kettunen´s high scores in the freeskate. Elena Sokolova made a lot of mistakes and in this competition she was not held up.

Susanna is soon competing in Skate America and I was a bit surprised that she was not more ready with her freeskate programme. Of course it is more important for her to be ready in Finnish Nationals and Europeans, to be able to compete in Worlds. I would hope that Susanna would work more with her footwork and put more difficulty into it. She has her previous year´s short programme (Henry VIII) and her freeskate music is Romeo & Juliet by Nino Rota. Both are great programmes!

It was interesting to see Sweden´s Lina Johansson, she has great potential. I hope that her jumping will work better later in the season.

I was very much impressed by Marc-Andre Craig from Canada, Frederic Dambier´s short programme (Carmina Burana) and Silvio Smalun´s interpretation is great although he unfortunately has difficulties with his jumping. Tomas Verner´s short programme (Blues) I especially loved (GREAT interpretation), and also his freeskate. Our Ari-Peka Nurmenkari was in his jumping weak again. Polish skater Maciek Kus, I really liked his skating! Andrei Lutai is and looks a junior skater, but what a potential!!! I liked the skating of Scott Smith very much. Also I really liked a new German skater, Radomir Soumar!!!

Marjaana

P.S. If I will remember more later, I will come back on the topic, LOL.

Last edited:

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Many thanks for posting your impressions of the competition! I'm thrilled that Kettunen got some respect-I liked all of the Finnish women at Malmo (although Poykio was ill and not at her best), and, hopefully, there will be two spots for Finland in the Olympic year. I'm also excited that Germany will have three places for Men, and that, perhaps, Smalun and Soumar might join Lindemann at Euros. I thought Verner skated with wonderful interpretation in his quali and long skates at Dortmund, but that his SP was stiff. I'm glad to hear that he performed his SP well at Finlandia. Too bad about Nurmenkari's jumps, because he has a nice performing quality.

shine

Record Breaker
Thanks for the reports!
Too bad Smalun's jumps were not there yet AGAIN. But I've almost come to peace with those non-existent jumps. However, I really, really hope that his programs will eventually get aired somewhere sometime this season. They sound totally out-of-this-world. With Vlashenko retiring, I'm crossing my fingers for him making it to Euros and Worlds!

ETA: Just read on FSU that Smalun has been added to the French GP! Yes! There's hope afterall :love:

Last edited:
Nice review, Jaana. It seemed that all the placements were correct and no controversies. That is ideal. I will be going SA, and I'll give you a review of Suzanna's skate. She's up against Sasha, Miki and Yukina. Let's see.

Joe

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Joesitz said:
Nice review, Jaana. It seemed that all the placements were correct and no controversies. That is ideal. I will be going SA, and I'll give you a review of Suzanna's skate. She's up against Sasha, Miki and Yukina. Let's see.

Joe

That is wonderful, Joe! Looking very much forward to read your review of Susanna (and others). Feeling very glad that our Susanna has lots of fans on many forums... For the sake of them I hope that Susanna will be shown on US tv, but that of course means that she has to place well.

Marjaana

Jaana -

US Tv will definitely have Cohen, Nikidinov and maybe a 3rd if Kwan is replaced. I believe they will have Ando and maybe Ota I think Susanna will make US TV if she gets gold or silver. Hey who says she can't? :)

Joe