Autumn Colors/Wintry Warning Lessons/Practices, 10/11 - 10/17 | Golden Skate

Autumn Colors/Wintry Warning Lessons/Practices, 10/11 - 10/17

Yazmeen

On the Ice
I feel like I haven't kept up my end of the posting here lately, but my new job has been exciting and hectic and I just haven't had time. MEA CULPA, I'll get back to my duty of starting the practice thread!!!! :laugh:

Practice for the Halloween Classic has been up and down, but mostly up, which is great considering all the changes in my life. There are two tough skills for me in this program: We planned a one foot spin at the end, and possibly a sal-toe combo. Today coach and I reset goals and decided the spin was more important for balance in the program, and the combo became a sal-waltz. Its a bit ironic--she told me today my BEST jump is the toeloop, when I'm on, but I have two toeloop modes: either totally on or off, and since hitting it is maybe 50%, its not worth risking it for my very first USFS competition. I feel better concentrating on one hard element, the one foot spin, which is more reliable.

Wanna hear something GREAT? This past weekend, I skated at a rink I haven't been to in a while, and I went since they have both Sat. and Sun. freestyle. I ran into a male skater buddy I haven't seen in ages who now skates for IceWorks Skating Club in Aston, PA, the host club for the Classic. THERE ARE 175 ADULTS REGISTERED FOR THIS INAUGURAL EVENT!!!! WHOO HOO--this is so good both for the event and for adult skating. This is going to be great--I just want to skate my best. I have no illusions about placments or medals--it will just be great to hopefully skate my best against skaters in my own age group. I'm psyched!!! :D

Last edited:

Glacierskater

On the Ice
Yaz,

Where is the Halloween Classic? And where are you? If you don't mind. Once again, I have to say how proud I am of you. I know that I don't post here that often, but I remember when you started skating, at least posting here, and you have grown up as a skater. Look at you getting ready for competitions and such. How exciting! And I have to say that the toe loop is still a booger for me. I can do them alone fine....but put them in a jump sequence, and the toe loop is horrid and I usually miss the pick. Kudos to you for it being your best.

My training is for Adult Nationals 2005 in KC, MO. I am going to do one competition at my rink before that. I started the choreography for my Adult Bronze program last Friday, and I am working on a 7 jump jump sequence. So far, I have 5 down smoothly without it looking like I am skating in the same spot. I am putting the finishing touches on my Interpretive program and will start that next week. I have also nailed down the costumes for each, which I will be making. I am doing some innovative spins (that include smacking the ice face first before getting the hang of one.) My camel still needs to work though. I guess that's it for me this week. I will be laying low and skating abnormal times to stay away from the politics of the board, coaches, and rink in general. I have had my fill of it this week. Happy Skating all.

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Yaz & GlacierSkater- I envy you guys preparing for your competitions. I need a goal like that to motivate me to keep skating. I'm taking this week off since I don't have a coach anymore. At least when I had a lesson to look forward to I had a reason to practice.

Good luck to both of you.

Last edited:

terriskates

Rinkside
Yaz,
You are not the only one fired up about Halloween Classic! I had my final dress fitting today and will get the finished product on Monday!
I still have one part of my program that's kinda rough, but this is the hardest program and the fastest tempo of music I've skated to.
175 ADULTS- that's more than what was at camp this summer! Makes me wonder where everyone is coming from! Maybe we need to start a roll call!

Yazmeen

On the Ice
Glacier: The Classic is in Aston, PA, right on the edge of the PA border above Delaware.

WOW a SEVEN JUMP Sequence. :eek: Absolute, total WOW--good for you!!!

terriskates

Rinkside
Yaz,
The competition schedule is up at skatingforums!
My event is not there, so I'm wondering if it will change before the start of the competition! Either that or I might have been moved up to Bronze??? :eek:

Yazmeen

On the Ice
Terri: Unfortunately, I've been "banned" from posting at skatingforums by the gentleman who runs the board, so I can't ask any questions there (long, boring story). I'm curious about No Test--it seems like we're all one group, and a small one at that (10 mins. for our compulsory moves, 15 for freestyle), and if so, I'm a little disappointed, because I was really hoping to compete against others my own age (I'm 46). Sigh. Why do I have a feeling its going to be "same old, same old" as with my ISI competitions where I'm significantly older than the rest of the group and just not quite up there with them. Sorry to sound down, but I had an up and down spin day today, a long day at work, and I was really hoping for a true "Group 3" group for my level.

Hopefully the info will get to us in the mail in the next couple of days or at least be on the Aston website. Its a bit of a surprise to see it on a message board first. :confused:

sk8pics

Rinkside
Yaz--
I know one of your fellow no-test competitors and she is in our age group. So that should help you feel better!

I'm going to send you an email to your home email addy if I can find it; I wanted to tell you a couple of other things but not here.

Pat

Yazmeen

On the Ice
Well, they posted the schedule, but nothing about practice ice on Friday evening and Saturday, so I e-mailed them about it. I'll let you all know when I get a reply.

Hard to believe its in two weeks!!! Spent yesterday running down a fresh sharpening. My pro noticed my right inside edge was off--really worn, and I'm still wondering how I did that. It took a bit to get used to the adjustment, but I was OK after about 10 minutes. I skated at a rink yesterday that always has hard hockey ice, and some of my efforts were comical. Either the blade was sliding across ice surface, or with more effort, would sink in. There's nothing sillier looking than landing a waltz jump and stopping halfway through the landing edge or doing a forward edge and slowing down and stopping and standing there looking like a demented flamingo with one leg up!!! :laugh: I even completely lost my edge and fell on a back spiral when my skating leg on a strong edge just slid off the ice. Luckily, I was able to duck a bit and get both feet on the ice before I went onto my butt. Thank heaven for my skatingsafe pads, otherwise I would have had a sore tushy and left wrist this morning.

I was pleased about one thing: I don't fall that often and falls usually rattle me, but I sat there and laughed instead (Oh, this was SO not graceful!!!!), got right up and after two slighly wonky tries, did my back spiral with waltz jump with no problems. That was overcoming a pretty big hurdle for me!!!

Yazmeen

On the Ice
Practice ice schedule is available for the Classic. Ice on Friday only runs until just after 4:00 PM, and there's some available early morning Saturday until 7:45. There is no Friday evening ice, so no hotel for me since the rink's only an hour away. I'll see what my coach says about applying for ice time, which is first come, first served.

bronxgirl

Medalist
Good luck

Yaz,
You know that all of us at GS are rooting for you!!!! Enjoy the day nomatter what and we are already quite proud of your efforts and success! :rock:

sk8pics

Rinkside
Yaz--
If you need ice on Friday evening, I can point you to another rink in the area which has ice until 6:30 or maybe 7 pm. If you just wanted to skate on competition ice, well, never mind!

Have fun and good luck!
Pat

Summerkid

Rinkside
I'm not competing in the Halloween Classic but I am testing in 2 weeks. I've finally done a full run through of all the moves and I think I'm going to collapse about half way through (after back perimeter stroking with back power three's). I didn't realize how much stamina is needed for it. I am sooooo glad brackets are after it so I can actually catch my breath. I did have a good lesson with the coach today and skated an hour and a half. Seems like I need to do it every day though. If only I didn't need to sleep.

Glacierskater

On the Ice
Yazmeen said:
Terri: Unfortunately, I've been "banned" from posting at skatingforums by the gentleman who runs the board, so I can't ask any questions there (long, boring story). I'm curious about No Test--it seems like we're all one group, and a small one at that (10 mins. for our compulsory moves, 15 for freestyle), and if so, I'm a little disappointed, because I was really hoping to compete against others my own age (I'm 46). Sigh. Why do I have a feeling its going to be "same old, same old" as with my ISI competitions where I'm significantly older than the rest of the group and just not quite up there with them. Sorry to sound down, but I had an up and down spin day today, a long day at work, and I was really hoping for a true "Group 3" group for my level.

Hopefully the info will get to us in the mail in the next couple of days or at least be on the Aston website. Its a bit of a surprise to see it on a message board first. :confused:

Yaz,

I can't see you getting banned from anywhere. You are way too sweet. Can you make this a short story? I am really curious what happened?

Yazmeen

On the Ice
Nutshell story: I posted at a board other than this person's where I commented on fan behavior in regards to particular elite skaters. I mentioned no names of any fans but was accused of "personal attacks" by this person and banned. This came at a time when this person banned quite a few people, so I was one of many. I've never been one to shy away from controversial issues, including discussions on fan behavior toward skaters and at events, and I haven't always endeared myself to every board owner/moderator. One of the reasons I enjoy this board is that Paula permits freedom of expression, and while threads can get a little testy at time, people are generally respectful here and if it comes to a hot point, simply "agree to disagree." I've found that where boards can often get problematic is when they are dedicated to one particular skater or when the owners/moderators favor one skater to the detriment of others and codes of behavior or expectations of attitudes toward said skater interfere with free expression.

Last edited: