Music For Skaters | Golden Skate

Music For Skaters

diver chick

On the Ice
So I'm sitting here listening to a freebie CD that came with my Classic FM magazine and thinking how great some of the music would be for skaters.

It is a compilation of classical movie themes and I know some people will be thinking 'not more movie themes' but some of these are absolutely great!

For example one of the pieces is Mendelssohns Hebrides Overture. Now I am sure some-one has used music from this before but no-one sticks out in my head and all the way through listening I was thinking what a great piece it would be for some-one like Michelle or Irina

Or Chopin's Nocturne in C sharp minor from the pianist - great piece for Sasha or Arakawa.

And the Harry Potter music - there is a lot more to it than the main theme and I for one would love to see one of the younger skaters use this as it is playful and light but with a lovely classical feel to it, easy to interpret.

anya_angie

Final Flight
Diver Chick,

I actually have written a short program for a man skating to Chopin's Nocturne in C# Minor, telling the story of The Pianist, played by Szpilman himself.

It's posted here somewhere.

I think City of Angels (by that I mean the actual Gabriel Yared score, especially the title track City of Angels (track 14)) would have been the perfect piece for Gordeeva/Grinkov had he lived long enough.

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
anya_angie said:
I think City of Angels (by that I mean the actual Gabriel Yared score, especially the title track City of Angels (track 14)) would have been the perfect piece for Gordeeva/Grinkov had he lived long enough.

With the story behind City of Angels, I find it ironic that you thought that would've been perfect for G/G

shine

Record Breaker
diver chick said:
Or Chopin's Nocturne in C sharp minor from the pianist - great piece for Sasha or Arakawa.
God no. Where is the running to hide emoticon when you need it? :eek:

S

SkateFan4Life

One of my favorite pieces for skaters is "Adagio for Strings", which Judy Blumberg and Michael Siebert skated to a number of years ago. It is such a haunting piece of music, and it was used in the motion picture "Platoon". As this piece of music played, the graphic carnage of Vietnam was aired, bringing an already emotionally-charged scene to an even higher emotional level.

Michelle Kwan skated an absolutely gorgeous pro-Am number (i.e. just three triples) to "Dante's Prayer". Wow!

diver chick

On the Ice
Shine - I love it when people disagree, it opens up the floor for discussion :)

My reasoning behind thinking this piece would be good for Sasha or Shizuka is that both skaters are elegant and have lovely lines - something I think is crucial for a skater who may wish to use music like this. I think Sasha needs to develop a little more maturity in her skating and with the right choreography I think this piece or something similar could be the kind of music to allow her to do it.

Had I never seen Arakawa live I would not be inclined to think she could pull of a piece like this - but since I have seen live how elegant she is and the presence she has on the ice I think she probably could.

My personal opinion is that a male skater would probably do this particular piece more justice than most females, Sasha Abt for example, but I like to think away from my favourite skaters and try to see what other skaters could do which is why I stuck with the ladies in my initial post.