Johnny Weir's 2003 US Nationals | Golden Skate

Johnny Weir's 2003 US Nationals

S

SkateFan4Life

How many of you think the media will continue to ask Johnny Weir about his disastrous long program at the 2003 US Nationals, in which he withdrew from the competition after falling twice? He was asked about this repeatedly during the 2004 Nationals, which was probably a natural and proper thing for the media to do. However, I still continue to read articles on Weir which mention that competition. Sure, he rebounded, bigtime, this year, with a victory at Nationals and a strong fifth-place finish at Worlds, but IMHO, enough is enough, already. Weir has proved himself as a skater and as a competitor. It's time to forget the past and move on. Just my opinion, of course.

sk8er1964

On the Ice
I can see it now.....

"Johnny Weir, the newly crowned olympic champion, got thrust into the limelight when, in the 2003 US Nationals in Dallas, he had to withdraw from the competition. We asked him how this affects his feelings about this gold medal...."

;) :rolleye: :laugh:

S

SkateFan4Life

sk8er1964 said:
I can see it now.....

"Johnny Weir, the newly crowned olympic champion, got thrust into the limelight when, in the 2003 US Nationals in Dallas, he had to withdraw from the competition. We asked him how this affects his feelings about this gold medal...."

;) :rolleye: :laugh:

Precisely. :laugh: I'm sure that at least one nit-witted reporter will continue to ask Weir about his 2003 US Nationals fiasco for the rest of his life.

S

SkateFan4Life

hockeyfan228 said:
About as long as the press asks S&P and B&S about SLC.

Hmmm. It's not exactly the same thing, however. The Salt Lake City pairs judging was a world-wide scandal, while Weir's disastrous long program at the 2003 US Nationals was only a very bad, singular moment in his career. There was no scandal or world audience. Oh well, memories linger on!

Ximena

Final Flight
If he wasn't the US champion, they probably would have forgotten already, but US is obviously a powerful figure skating nation so I think Jhonny would need to get used to that question more often, they can also asked in other way like "what's the worst performance you have ever done?". He is going to have to get used to it, press like to ask that kind of question and it does not get old.

I also think that Tim is going to get asked about his 2004 SP at Nats more than once in the future

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
SkateFan4Life said:
Hmmm. It's not exactly the same thing, however. The Salt Lake City pairs judging was a world-wide scandal, while Weir's disastrous long program at the 2003 US Nationals was only a very bad, singular moment in his career. There was no scandal or world audience. Oh well, memories linger on!
It doesn't have to be the same situation, just like SLC wasn't the same as "Nancy, how do you feel about Tonya this second." First it was Kerrigan/Harding, then SLC, now it's Weir. Until something better comes along to replay over and over again and obsess about. It's that rubbernecking tendency all over again, the gorier, the better.

S

SkateFan4Life

hockeyfan228 said:
It doesn't have to be the same situation, just like SLC wasn't the same as "Nancy, how do you feel about Tonya this second." First it was Kerrigan/Harding, then SLC, now it's Weir. Until something better comes along to replay over and over again and obsess about. It's that rubbernecking tendency all over again, the gorier, the better.

A judging scandal, a criminal attack, and a splattering long program. What next will the media have to obsess about? :eek:

guinevere

Final Flight
I think this season will help determine whether Johnny gets dogged by that question for the rest of his life, or if it gets relegated to a footnote in his career.

Prior to 2003 Nationals, Johnny had at least 1 (I think it was more, but not sure) of being a promising 'new' senior skater who didn't quite have the goods technically yet, although he was already known for his artistic qualities. IIRC, Weir had not competed all season until Nationals due to injury, so he came in a mystery. Most people probably thought the gold and silver were locked up (Goebel/Weiss - whether or not you agreed with it, you gotta admit, that was the most likely ending), and the Bronze was wide open with Eldredge's retirement (Savoie being the most likely). Johnny's excellent skate in the short program had a big impact, and his meltdown in the FP was enormous.

Due to his performance in the '03 Nationals, Johnny did not get to compete in the GP, so he came into the '04 Nat'ls again a mystery - would he fulfill the promise of the '03 SP? Would he bomb again? Even after Weir deservedly won the title, no one knew how he would fare at his first Worlds. Quadless, he came in a respectable 5th - the highest place US man.

I dredge all that up because I think Johnny sort of still needs to prove he can skate a whole season and be competitive. If he does well through Nat'ls and Worlds this year, I don't think people will care much what happened in '03 anymore. If his season does not go well, I think the media will come back to '03 as the event that defines him.

guinevere said:
Johnny sort of still needs to prove he can skate a whole season and be competitive. If he does well through Nat'ls and Worlds this year, I don't think people will care much what happened in '03 anymore. If his season does not go well, I think the media will come back to '03 as the event that defines him.
Good post Guinvere. I'm afraid it will always be shown that he went into the railrings just as often as it is shown that Midori Ito did a similar take. Anton will always be shown as stumbling on a double axel because of the scandal, Kwan falling on her triple flip and losing 2002 Olys, Howard Dean giving a scream in Iowa, etc. These are fillers, if relevant, for the upcoming stories.

However, ITA that Johnny still needs to prove that he is top tier in the Men's Division this year. He's up against a great European crowd when you think of Plushenko, Joubert, Lambiel, Lindemann, Klimkin. Despite the obvious who will win, I feel the Men's Event this year in Moscow will be the most exciting competition if the aforementioned all skate their best.

Joe

Ximena

Final Flight
Joesitz said:
However, ITA that Johnny still needs to prove that he is top tier in the Men's Division this year. He's up against a great European crowd when you think of Plushenko, Joubert, Lambiel, Lindemann, Klimkin. Despite the obvious who will win, I feel the Men's Event this year in Moscow will be the most exciting competition if the aforementioned all skate their best.
Joe

ITA agree, if all the men skaters are healthy by March, I'm sure the men event would be as great as the one that was shown in Dortmund if not better.
I think Jhonny need to establish himself during the GP series as one of the top competitors so he can be on his way when Worlds arrive.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Emanuel Sandhu has to continuely contend with the topic - "which Emanuel will we see tonight? The fighter or the skater who gives up?" Bad press for skaters is always something they have to contend with. The media is relentless. At one time, in the earlier days of Figure Skating, the media did not pay as much attention to their bad days. Now it's a running topic. I guess it feeds the media. We know differently as fans and former figure skaters, and should treat such poor press as a "slow day" at the office. The skaters learn to ignore these comments, so should we. I always admired the way Elvis Stojko could handle himself around the media. He never let their negative feedback effect him. His motto is "be your own best friend." He always showed the media and us, if he did have a bad skate, a better one was around the corner and would come out like the champion he is. This is a good example for Johnny Weir to follow. I am sure Johnny Weir too will prove the media wrong.

guinevere

Final Flight
Slightly off-topic, but I will be really interested in how the Men's US Nat'l shape up. Timmy is looking to erase last year's Nat'ls in the same way Johnny was the previous year. Weir needs to step it up, and Goebel needs regain his form. NOt sure which way the judges would go if both perform well ~ they have very different styles. And you just never know when Weiss is going to slop his way to a gold medal....

Vash01

Medalist
SkateFan4Life said:

It was made into a world wide scandal only by our media. Johnny will be asked about the 2003 nationals until our media find something more interesting to talk about, but don't be surprised if they bring it up for the rest of his career.

S

SkateFan4Life

guinevere said:
I dredge all that up because I think Johnny sort of still needs to prove he can skate a whole season and be competitive. If he does well through Nat'ls and Worlds this year, I don't think people will care much what happened in '03 anymore. If his season does not go well, I think the media will come back to '03 as the event that defines him.

I agree with you :agree: If Johnny Weir skates well at the Grand Prix events, successfully defends his US title and medals at Worlds (which won't be easy, given the superb depth of the men's field), I believe he will bury the "choker" label that was attached to him last year. If, however, Weir has error-laden GP programs and/or suffers another meltdown at Nationals, the media will jump all over him.

Ximena

Final Flight
SkateFan4Life said:
I agree with you :agree: If Johnny Weir skates well at the Grand Prix events, successfully defends his US title and medals at Worlds (which won't be easy, given the superb depth of the men's field), I believe he will bury the "choker" label that was attached to him last year.

I don't know about that, Plush was still asked about his meltdown from Worlds 2000 up until Oly season and that is considering he pretty much won everything on the 2001 season.

As for who the US judges will favour at Nats if it comes down to Goebel vs Weir, hmm that is hard, I don't know excatly why but I think Goebel might still have the edge, maybe because he always perform well at Worlds so it would be good if he goes to worlds with the US title with him.

Vash01

Medalist
A lot will depend on whether or not Goebel can return to his 2 or 3 different quads form. That is his strength. If Weir is without a quad, the judges may have difficulty placing him higher. Does anyone know if Johnny is landing quads in practice?

Ximena

Final Flight
Vash01 said:
A lot will depend on whether or not Goebel can return to his 2 or 3 different quads form. That is his strength. If Weir is without a quad, the judges may have difficulty placing him higher. Does anyone know if Johnny is landing quads in practice?

Especiall considering that Nats will be judge under the 6.0 system where the quad does sort of work, unless it's like last year Nats that none of them men show any quad at all.

I read Jhonny had the quad toe and quad salchow but every since he is injured, I don't know if he had land them again.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wish the media would ask Johnny about his hair. I can see it all now---

Reporter: Johnny why have you changed hair styles?
Johnny: Huh???
Reporter: Well, you used to have beautiful curls, now I'm not sure what you have??
Johnny: It's my grown up "do."
Reporter: I just wondered if when you fell at Nationals in 2003, you lost some of your curls on the ice while slidding across it.

I love Johnny and his skating but hate, hate his hair. I loved his curls.

Dee

2ndmark

Rinkside
Hi Skate fans: I have been somewhat "eavesdropping" on your board for a few weeks and I hope you will allow me to join your ranks. After shopping around a bit, this board seems to be a good combination of astute observation and a sense of humor about this sport that we all obviously obsess over.

Now, as for Johnny and 2003 Nats--- I think one reason why it is still mentioned frequently is somewhat of a "you had to be there" thing. I am from Dallas and was sitting there in the American Airlines Center shaking my head along with everyone else as the Mens LP fiasco unfolded. It was surreal... every time you thought "what else can happen?"--------something else happened. So I think everyone involved with that bizarre day (fans and commentators alike) just have difficulty forgetting it. However, I think in no way at all will it be Johnny's legacy. His tremendous performances at 2004 Nats and Worlds demonstrate that he has begun to fulfill his enormous potential.

My reason for finally joining your midst was Guinivere's wonderfully wicked "you never know when Weiss will slop his way to another gold" comment. After I finished tittering I felt obliged to respond. Michael has been a wonderful champion and ambassador for US Mens skating. But after several seasons of subpar (at best) performances one must wonder "how long is he going to put himself and us through this?" He has a great future in pro skating, but it would seem that serious eligible competition is in his past. (Of course, now watch him slop out a win at Skate America.)