Dance boots or Freestyle? Mucho help needed | Golden Skate

Dance boots or Freestyle? Mucho help needed

cheekers85

Rinkside
If anyone could help I would appreciate it. I need some advice on choosing the right boots. Here is my background. I am an adult skater, and I had super crappy skates for a long time. They were too big for me and I got rid of them. The next pair of boots I got I made the classic mistake of getting ones that were way way too advanced for me, thinking they would last and last for years. They cost alot. Anway I see the error of it all, and it was a bad, bad horrible idea. As a result out of frustration and partially a heavy schedule I now have not skated in a few years since then. I was dying to go back to it again. So I broke out the old boots and I did everything you can imagine to break them in again. Small progress there, but not much. Well now I am thinking I need new boots yet again. I guess this is my last shot at it. I love skating and I am definatley bit by the bug and always I want to do the same thing for years whenever I watch the skaters on tv. It's not really enough for me to just sit back and watch. But I really cannot afford to invest in yet another new boot and this not work out. (where basically I do not expect to be good or anything- but I do need for it to be that I can move comfortable in my new boots and they not be impossible) This sport it an expensive hobby for sure.

Anyhow I really don't know what I am doing with this all. If say I go for a really good boot again. And also I am nervous about getting another one that and getting one that is too stiff and advanced. I can't get a regular boot because I can no longer skate on the lower level ones, and even if I wanted to some. I have *ahem* some small anatomical-type issues going on. (ie tim goebel style back posture problem, that I am working on. No offense to tim, of course he looks much improved there this year. So higher heel height is good for me to force me to bend) I need ones that are more professional then that. And yet I think lighter too. So I don't know. I think I have a problem there. Add into that one other thing that I will get to in a minute, about a good possible oppertunity for boots that are priced well. (but not what I would usually go for, ie the dance boots)
My old boots were size 8. But they were the same as my street shoe size. I did alot of things with them for awhile I was a teenager (starting out, not a kid) But I'd never think of skating on them again and they have no blades now anyway. They are way too big to be secure on jumps. Well I got top of the line skates a long time ago as I mentioned earlier next but they are not going to work. I guess I am going the shelve them and take them out a few years from now. I don't think it is about the discpline of breaking in. It's just not going to happen. I've tried hard and tired everything! So getting to the new skates part. I am definatley settled on the new Jacksons, and I have found a pair. The only one avilable of a good price is the Dance boot though. Which is odd. But I have considered it becuase my blades were always mounted really forward (some people I know thought it was too much but I liked it like that and I had mucho heel lifters) and I do prefer a lighter boot. (like I've mentioned) I am thinking lately maybe this could be a good creative choice for my problem. (My old crappy first boot were ridicoulsy light for what I was doing but I used them for a while anyway. The lightness though was one thinng I mostly liked.)
So my question is is there any disadvantage to going with a dance boot here even though it is an offbeat choice? Any unforseen technical problems I may have?? I really really would love that lighter boot, and one that I dont need adjusted for the hell height of. I am pretty set on it, as I've said but I do want to seek advice. Is this a good idea? Or a really crazy one?
I kind am thinking if I don't get this (special priced dance) boot, this is it. I dont have the money to keep pour down the drain, as a really broke collegestudent.:p So again is there anything unforseen here or what? Or do I perhaps have a good handle on this and that what I talked about is pretty much the difference there? Any other sage words of advice and wisdom you might want to say about it all? Whatever you want to say. Thanks alot to anyone who would help out!

Last edited:

cheekers85

Rinkside
adding a little more information

I talked to someone I know, who skates on an intermediate level today. She seemed to think I was crazy to consider getting dance boots. She thinks they are constructed way dfferently then freestyle boots, beyond just the heel height and what not. But when I asked her for more infomation about it and to give me more details and information. Really she didn't know....and in the end she just admitted that she only knew from what she heard about many dancers competing in the dance discipline in freestyle skates till they were reallly elite. So anyone out there - again are they really very very different or not? How so? For single jumps are these a decent idea? Or are they totally alien boots to freestyle skating, and just not possible for anything at all, except for dancing? Thanks.

Last edited:

sk8er1964

On the Ice
I've never had dance boots (don't dance), but I would suspect that there is quite a bit of defference between them and freestyle boots. They are meant for different types of skating. In dance, you need to be able to bend your ankle way more than in freestyle, for example, so they have the scallop on the back.

I would recommend that you find a reputable fitter, who will fit you in the right size and brand type. Many brands are offering ultra lites now. Ask around your rink, and ask other skaters. Talk about foot type, body type and skating level. That makes a difference in what type pf boots you might need. Good luck!

cheekers85

Rinkside
Thanks for the reply. :) You're right, I probally should just go to a fitter this time and this time just be really insistent on light boot. It was my fault the first time around though. I didn't know ultra light was a new option, but I'm glad to hear about it. I hope going so light isn't a bad idea for heavy jumping. (i worry about everythign bootwise) But I really can't ever imagine getting past a double loop, so maybe that is good enough. I am a little shy to ask too many people at the rink I am at. I only know one skater at the rink I am at now though. And I knew her before this. They are all so young there, I feel wierd asking. I think though I'll just go trek to Conneticut where I get my blades sharpened sometimes and have a proffesional I know fit me and just shell out the darn bucks instead of going with a dance cheaper pair. They probally are really different and who knows it could be incredibly follish and possilby injury me to go with dance. If it makes any sense at all though- I am kind of embarrassed about my inability to manage to break in the boots that I have now. And I really really wanted to avoid that again. I know my blade sharperner knows I have another minty pair. :laugh:

If anyone know the difference between the two skates though. It would be something to know. And it is interesting to know if it actually was possible to skate well on dance boots just out of curiosity anyway.

Last edited:

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Hi Cheekers. There are many different companies that make skates. First of all I would find a pro shop that specializes in fitting figure skates. I too am a adult skater and just recently bought a new pair of skates. I always owned SP-Teri's but found them to be too hard to break in. I purchased a pair of Graf's (a boot I never worn) basically because it was very comfortable on my feet. Comfort for me was a #1 priority. They aren't the most expensive boots out there but for my skill level (single jumps to double) they are just fine. I would search the internet to get a list of all skate manufacturers and read up on the different types of boots to see what would best suit you. Then take that info and find someone that fits figure skates and go from there. Also look into a pair of used skates, that would be cheaper then new ones in some cases. Hope this helps.

sk8er1964

On the Ice
I am working on my doubles through flip (my coach wants me to try the lutz :rofl: but that's a different story) and I wear Klingbeils. My fitter ordered me their ultra lights, but in a "3" (stronger) strength. My current Klingbeils were very easy to break in, BTW, and have lasted me two years. If you contact the company in NY they can tell you who fits for them. If you are in CT, there are probably several in your area. Nothing says you can't fitter shop.

cheekers85

Rinkside
Thanks alot for your responses and help. I appreciate them.
I can fitter shop, but the guy I go to is great. He worked so hard on trying to help me with my last boot.. I have felt almost guilty wanting to scrap it all. I might go the way of Klingbeil. I figured getting the jackson was easier and I really liked hte new technology. Oh well... :sheesh:
I've heard alot of people have had problems with Teri's in that area. I've looked up a few. :) Used boots are something I would love, I'm not sure where to get them though. Any places? :)

Mrs Redboots

On the Ice
cheekers85 said:
Used boots are something I would love, I'm not sure where to get them though. Any places? :)
Your rink, is probably your best bet. Ask your coach - s/he may well know someone who is ready to trade up. BUT, having said that, if you are an adult, I don't think you are going to be lucky, since most adults wear their boots until they are falling to pieces! If you are on the small side, however, you might be lucky and be able to get an outgrown-before-outworn pair from a still-growing skater.