Kimba Cheering Thread for doggy lovers... | Golden Skate

Kimba Cheering Thread for doggy lovers...

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Some of you probably remember this from last skating season. Mr. Doggyman and I added a German Shepherd Dog to our pack the Friday after Thanksgiving last year. We've always had rescue dogs and have never shown dogs in anything. We had no idea what we were getting ourselves into!

Well, we sure got lucky with our puppy Kimba. And I do mean lucky. She has had an awesome competitive season this year in conformation. She's been in 4 regional shows, and has won her age group in all of them - under different German judges each time. She also competed in the Canadian Nationals for GSD's, and won her age group there as well. There are US National Shows for both of the organizations we belong to. The Working Dog Association of America national show was at the end of September, and she came in second in her age group there. That was a TRULY amazing result as she didn't show well (for her) and starting her first heat the next day (Puppy PMS?????) might have had something to do with it LOL!

Mean time, we have "split" from her breeder and trainer. Her breeder has been very successful, which I admire her for. But it's gone to her head, and she treats people like cr@p, including her husband the trainer, and hard working customers. We just couldn't stand to be around it anymore. I think when she screamed "HOLD YOUR F-ING DOG" at an 8 year old girl at the last show - that was the straw that broke our back.

So....we are taking Kimba to United Schutzhund Clubs of America National show in Nashville next weekend - "on our own" so to speak. We have a handler lined up, and we're doing our best to keep up her training. We just hope we can put her in the ring for a decent performance regardless of placing. Kimba will be moving up another age group into 12 - 18 month this time. So the class will be longer, and she will also start temperament tests - stand for gunshots. I'm glad we live in the country so we've been able to practice for that. Who knows on show day though! :)

There are a couple "blank spots" where we're waiting to get pics from the last two shows. But here is Kimba's brag site.

http://www.discounttechnologyworkforce.com/Mittelwest/Kimba/kimba.html

I'm hoping for positive wishes, especially since we took a stand against a breeder who just doesn't treat people right too much of the time. I'm hoping we can prove that 1) we can mange to show our own dog respectably without them and 2) have fun in the process. (listening to people get screamed and cussed at, especially children, is NOT *fun* to me)

Others with this kennel feel *trapped* for whatever reasons and will be *watching.* The breeder seems to have everyone convinced they can't survive the show ring without her. Mr. DG and I are just out to prove that we all have choices!!!

Thanks for listening...

DG

You go, (Doggy) Girl! :rock: :rock: :rock:

Tell the Martinet where to stick it!

Hey, everybody, don't forget to click on "slide show."

You say you have hired a handler. That is the person in the ring who actually shows the dog, is that right? Have you thought of doing it yourself?

I have a friend who shows Scottish deer hounds. The greatest fun for him is to dress up in authentic Scottish garb to show them.

We had a wirehair fox terrier, the unusual white and tan kind. He was from a long line of champions. But he turned out to be too tall to meet the standard for the breed. Plus, we couldn't get his ears to lie down, no matter what we did. He was a wonderful pet, though. :love:

Mathman

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Thanks guys!

Bronxgirl, thanks so much for your compliment on my beloved *daughter*!! :)

MM, you used the word "Martinet" in your reply. That's almost scary because a very operative word in this whole saga is "Martinez." Was that a typo?????

Do you have a pic of your friend's Scottish Deer Hound? I'm not sure I know what that breed looks like, but visions of guys in kilts sounds mighty interesting!!!! Also LOL on the fox terrier's ears. It seems we're always trying to get them to do something different than what they are naturally doing with their ears! With GSD puppies, you pray that the ears come up. It's funny to me that in other breeds you might be praying for the ears to come DOWN.

For conformation showing with GSD's, the main handler is at the back end of a 7 foot leash. That is really hard to do if that handler is a "main object of affection" for that dog (the dog will turn around rather than be out at the very end of that leash). Usually the main handler is someone relatively unimportant to the dog. On the outside of the ring (which is really funny because it's totally chaotic) are the "double handlers." In our case, that's me and Mr. Doggyman. We are the people she will run towards, while she is running "away" from her actual handler on the end of the leash. *Controlling* that run-away type movement is key to a good showing.

I'm very excited about our hired handler. We have watched her and her SO handle many dogs across the course of the season. They are a terrific couple, and seem to be way more about the dogs than about the money or prestige. I will be proud for Cindy to handle our Kimba at this show. And I know her SO Steve will be helping us *ringside* as we work to keep Kimba "up" and motivated!!

At the last show (WDA Nationals) we were part of that upscale kennel that had German handlers flown across the Big Pond to do this. A rediculous expense, and while they are very experienced and good, not necessary IMO. About 12 customers from our kennel group got the *priveledge* of paying travel expenses for several people going back and forth from Germany, tranporting a whole bunch of the breeder's dogs as "passenger" dogs rather than "cargo" dogs. Our bill was rediculous for this, especially for a puppy in the 9 - 12 month age group.

I'm looking forward to a good, old fashioned AMERICAN handler who I believe is well qualified and capable of getting Kimba around the ring in good form. And at least we can speak the same language if adjustments need to be made around the side lines.

Thanks!!!!!!! For your support!!!!!!!!!! Please keep fingers crossed, and we will update you once the show starts. Kimba will be showing on Saturday afternoon.

DG

Last edited:

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
WOW! What a beautiful dog Kimba is! She looks so regal and serene! Best of luck in the show! :love:

Far be it from me to call any breed of dog "scruffy-looking," but here's the Scotish deerhound, aka "The Most Perfect Creation of Heaven," according to their breeders' club.

http://members.lycos.nl/Deerhound/images/trio.jpg

(These are not my friend's dogs, just a picture I got from the web. the handler looks like he's dressed more German than Scottish, LOL.)

No, I was just using the word martinet (= mean and self-important disciplinarian), LOL.

We'll be waiting for your report next week!

MM

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
LOL MM! and HUGE thanks for all support!

MM, Mr. DG and i have 4 dogs, and I wish I could get at least 3 of them to pose for a pic like that!! LOL in close company, there is just always "stuff" going on between them. I can only dream of that sort of Kodak moment!!

Our "Virgin Camping Trip" is going well so far. We made it about 500 miles today and are "settled" in the Nashville area at a KOA campground. All of these doggies are used to freely running major acreage every day, so it's sort of like WHAT??? I HAVE TO STAY IN A KENNEL ALL DAY?? AND DO BUSINESS ON THE END OF A LEASH????????? They are all adapting though - and it's so funny that Mr. DG is working his technical magic here in the new camper. The doggies are lounging, and he is setting up a wireless network here in the camper. Makes my brain hurt, frankly!!

Kimba shows on Saturday afternoon, so all positive vibes in that timeframe will be appreciated!!!!!!

OK - now I'm heading off to the event threads to see what's going on....

I definately need that "smiley" of the gal in front of her 'puter with the champagne glass!! :) Camping Is Cool.

DG

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
WOW she came in first!!

Kimba is just one pretty dog, the way God made her. The rest of of the ringside stuff is just human. All that being said, she won. Her handler did an AWESOME job not only handling Kimba, but orchestrating everything else that needed to "go on" on the sidelines to help her to victory.

I thank all of you who have cheered for Kimba on this thread! She ran her fanny off today, and so did we. (Her fanny is MUCH cuter than our old fannies, and hairier too, YIKES!!)

7 shows this year, 6 1st place, 1 2nd place. It doesn't get any better than that!!

Onward and forward to "figure skating season!!"

Thanks again to all of you for your support!!

DG

bronxgirl

Medalist
Congrats on your wonderful performance with Kimba! I have a dumb question though - is the Schutzhound club the German Sherpard Specialty club of the AKC, or are they separate organizations?

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Hi Bronxgirl!!

Thanks for your kind words. I'm still on cloud 9 somewhere!!

This is our first year showing any kind of dog for hubby and I, so I can't claim a vast wealth of knwledge (yet). The organizations we belong to are the Working Dog Association of America and the United Schutzhund Clubs of America which follow the German breed standards. While our dog and all the dogs that are American bred showing under these organizations are required to be AKC registered, I have the feeling that the AKC breed standards may be slightly different.

There are people who bring dogs in for shows under the WDA and USA organizations from other countries, Canada and Germany being the most common I have seen. The SV registration from Germany is accepted, and the main Shepherd organization's registration from Canada is accepted (can't recall the name off the top).

I understand there are differences in structure / movement in terms of what an AKC judge would look for in a Shepherd v. what the "German focused" organizations look for. (Of 7 shows, we have only had 1 judge that was NOT from Germany). Since we've never shown under AKC, I'm fuzzy on the details.

Just for grins, we've been thinking about looking into AKC showing. A lady that works part time at our vet is an AKC judge, so could probably advise us on what type of AKC shows we might want to try, etc. But that's ALL I know about the world of AKC showing!!

Do you have a dog you show in the AKC world??

DG

anya_angie

Final Flight
My baby is a 5 year old half spaniel and half white spitz, and since mom had surgery he had to be shaved *sob* but he looks SO CUTE!!!!!!!