Carolina Kostner...the next great skater? | Golden Skate

Carolina Kostner...the next great skater?

A

alicelouise

Carolina Kostner...the next great skater?

I watched the ladies free skate of Worlds on Saturday. When watching Carolina Kostner, I thought, "What's all the shouting about?".

This skater does not seem to be of a finished quality. She seems to remind me more of a Latitia Hubert or Vanessa Gusermoli. These were both talented skaters with consistency problems. They had respectable careers. However, they were not in the league of Katerina Witt or Oksana Baiul.

I could be wrong. The first time I saw Irina S. I was not that impressed(incredibly sloppy) with her skating(still not overwhelmed in that area) or consistency. Her development of consistency is the biggest factor in her improvement and longevity.

Sarah Hughes was another skater that underwhelmed this poster. I had thought that she would always be #2-#4 in the US because of Naomi Nari Nam and Sasha Cohen.

BTW I'm not underwhelmed by Miss Kostner because of her placement or the skate of that evening. You can see the WOW factor in Sasha Cohen even in an off evening.

So, what's so great...?

J

Joesitz

Re: Carolina Kostner...the next great skater?

She had an excellent SP especially in the technical. The girl can jump and spin. You are right though, too much praise that is not yet earned. She's a work in progress and with a lot of promise.

Joe

V

Verbalgirl77

After seeing her Euros freeskate on TV, I kept telling the people sitting in my section that this Italian girl was the next big thing. Then she skated in Qualifying - YIKES! Very poor performance. Her short was great, but her free just was nowhere near her skate at Euros.

She's still in the 'potential' category for me.

S

schmooze1

I normally just lurk but I have to jump in on this one.

I saw Carolina skate live at Euros and I was struck by how soft and elegant a skater she was. She has an almost Sasha Abt like qaulity about her skating and had beautiful technique on her jumps and spins.

I agree though that too much hype too soon - she is very talented and time will tell whether she will be the 'great skater' a lot of commentators are saying she will. She needs to develop more expression and consistancy. And of course all if she grows too much in the wrong way then she might never make it.

L

Lanternlight

The real issue with Carolina is what's going to happen when she matures with those 3/3s. She is very coltish, and I don't know if she can keep those incredible combos are she gets older. She does have a nice quality though, she was good during the Worlds SP.

E

eltamina

I dunno whether she will be the next great one, but I am very impressed with her.

I don't know how much figures training she has, maybe even none, but those lovely edges, and flow!!!

She may fill out and lose some of her jumps, but I don't think her basics will deteriorate with time.

<span style="color:red;font-size:medium;">Congratulations Fumie</span>

<span style="color:red;font-size:x-small;">eltamina, totally mesmerized by Fumie's edges</span>

D

dlksk8fan

I noticed that her jumping technique (body position very tight) is very good. She is still young and skates young. I hope she can remain injury free and develope more.

B

berthes ghost

"She seems to remind me more of a Latitia Hubert or Vanessa Gusermoli."

I don't see the similarity at all. As much as I love them (especially Latitia) neither ever really gave a stunning performance. Not to mention the fact neither ever really improved as they aged. Carolina is still a kid, time will tell.

I think that the main reason that so many have been hyping Carolina is that her best performance of the season was her most viewed (Euros LP). If she had skated at Euros like she did at Jr Worlds or JGPF, I bet there would be a lot less gushing. Although the online gushing can get a little far fetched at times, I still think that Carolina is one to watch, for many of the reasons already posted by others above.

"You can see the WOW factor in Sasha Cohen even in an off evening."

Speak for yourself. Even after seeing her live when she won Lalique, I failed to be dusted by the magic so many on-liners seem to be drunk on. The first minute of her 03 worlds LP and her exhibition were the first ever time I actually even considered her mildly interesting.

D

dizzydi7

What it always comes down to is preference of style. Carolina has great jumps but her style doesn't grab me. However, she is young like so many people have pointed out and has an opportunity to grow into an artistic skater. Personally I just don't see the "wow" factor in her skating.

Dizzy

C

Chaignee

Hi

I hope they don't overly hype this young girl. I remember a few years ago, ELizabeth Kwon (a novice then) was being dubbed the next great one (maybe because of how you pronounce her last name! LOL), and she ended up retiring, and finishing, I think, no higher than 16th at Nationals. ANother one is Julia Lautowa, who finished 8th at WOrlds in 1997- she reminds me of Carolina Kostner now- Julia finished out of the top ten at worlds this year.

M

MoonliteSonata

Re: Hi

There is too much pressure on her if people are declaring her to be a future champion and Chaignee, I hope THAT doesn't happen to her...

K

Kzarah

I hope Caroline will be a consistent skater in the future. Above all, her jumps are very, very good. She has good spins, although she really has to work on the free leg in the layback. Her layback is not nearly as bad as some of the other girls, but it does need some work. People are saying that her presentation is lacking. He carriage is very nice. I find her presentation is very pleasant, it just more subdued that the other girls. Unlike so many of the other girls, I'm glad she doesn’t contort her face like she is trying to pass gas during the more dramatic pieces indicating that she is really feeling their music. Although she on the plain side I find she has an interesting face.
Love
Daniel and Little Lulu

B

BronzeisGolden02

Carolina and Julia

I agree with the concensus so far. I missed her Euro performance but heard plenty of raves. Her free skate at Worlds was disappointing, but there was promise there. Definitely not as much promise as some have so enthusiastically touted. She may or may not get there, she is 16 and needs to work on the nerves. She can land the jumps, but when she's in direct contention for important medals (World Jrs. and Worlds) she seems to have lost focus. So, my best wishes to her, I was encouraged by the fact that she did have a lovely edge quality and at least pleasing presentation.
And I remember Julia Lautowa, I was so impressed by her at the 97 Worlds! She was exciting and put so much personality into her performance. And that lutz, it was beautiful! I'm so sorry to know that she's been nowhere near a podium of importance since then. She's hanging in there though. LOL, that reminds me of Shizuka, she's been around just as long. Is she retiring? I hope not, I was hoping to see her in the final free skating group at a World Championship.

C

CuteGreekGoddess

Re: Carolina and Julia

<span style="color:blue;font-family:comic sans ms;font-size:x-small;"><strong>
I really like Carolina and I would hope to see
her be the next big thing and I cannot wait
to see her develop and mature as a skater
she is very elegant and she doesn't have those
extra movements that some skaters have </strong></span>

S

sk8ing lady2001

I think that Carolina is already a good skater. She is very graceful and I like the way that she moves. Good luck to Carolina! :D

S

SHINE2002

I think people are mainly impressed with the flow in her stroking, her speed, and her effortless 3/3's. But other than that, I agree, I don't really see the "wow" factor that people seem to be gushing on and on about even in her freeskate from Europeans. She actually reminds me of Sarah Hughes in 1999, tall, long limbed, and somewhat gawky. But I do think she has more natural grace than Sarah. She needs to work on her extension and posture, and use more power and stretch in every move she does or else everything just looks kind of loose and lacks authority. Maybe her musicality and audience connection will improve as she grows older. Everthing said, I do believe her basic skating and 3/3's will take her far.

B

berthes ghost

She comes across better live than on TV.

When I saw her live at Euros LP, I was like "wow!", but latter when I saw it replayed on TV in the hotel, she looked kinda juniorish in her presentation.

D

DORISPULASKI

She is so tall (5'7") and undeveloped (and has that knobby kneed coltish look) that I wonder whether she is going to develop very much as Sarah Hughes has this year-put on another 5 or 10 pounds on the chest and butt. As it was seen with Sarah, the jumps are harder with the more womanly shape. I really like Carolina's jumps and stroking, but her spirals really need work, and her positions in spins needed work. Plus she sometimes did not hold the spins nearly long enough. But what do you want? She is 16, and just beginning her career.

There is bound to be a bunch of dead time in her program since she is in that transitional year between junior and seniors, and the junior program is shorter. What she can do should be judged by her short program, which was much better laid out.

Good luck to her! I have quit declaring anyone the next big thing because growth, injury and luck play a big big part in that.

dpp

P

Ptichka

I didn't see what was so special about Carolina. However, I reacall when Peggy Fleming first started gushing about Michelle, I didn't really see what the big deal was about this girl who could jump but had almost no artistry. Well, we all know how wrong I was about that! So I think may be there people who can see the "it" factor before it becomes evident.

C

Callystarr

<em><strong>I think that Kostner does hat potential to be a great skater. She is still young, she has a couple years to develop, and really a lot can happen in just a year, you cannot underestimate her. She already has the big tricks. She has landed 5! Triple/Triple combinations in just her last two competitions. I think consistency will not be a issue because this is her first year as a senior competitor. We will have to see how she does in the Grand Prix next season. But she is definatley a force in the future with that 3Lutz/3Toe and 3Flip/3Toe combination. Less than a handful of women have landed either combination in history...as you were..</strong></em>