Sasha Cohen - Robin Wagner Breakup? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Sasha Cohen - Robin Wagner Breakup?

MidnightNess

Rinkside
I highly doubt Arutunian would take on Cohen,even on a temporary basis, when he's coaching Michelle Kwan full-time. Just a thought. Cohen and Callaghan does sound intriguing though.

NorthernLite

On the Ice
This thread and the Sarah ones that have appeared here and elsewhere are great examples of the way one little rumor grows and spreads and changes and grows some more.
Sasha worked with Zueva on the freeskate. I can't see Zueva spending a lot of time at DSC after the way her tenure there ended. Sasha would have worked with her at either the Sphil/Zu homebase of Canton, or possibly at Onyx because that's where Zueva's son practices.

Eeyora

Final Flight
attyfan said:
Lots of skaters will work with another coach over the summers, and their main coach during the season. What about Sasha staying with Robin during the season, but spending a summer in St. Petersburg to work on her jumps with Alexei Mishin?

This is true. Every Summer Linda Leaver would send Brian Boitano to work with a different more experienced coach. He worked with Didier Gailhaguet, John Nicks and the Scotvolds.

However from what I have read it wasn't Wagner that sent Sasha to Work with Morosov or Zueva.

euterpe

Medalist
I don't think Robin is any better able to control her student than John Nicks was. If Sasha keeps going her own way, doing what she wants to do, and consulting with other coaches and choreographers, what point IS there in retaining Robin? If nothing else, it's a slap in Robin's face.

It's not as if Sasha emerged at the end of the summer from her time away from Robin with better jumps and a fresh outlook. Instead, she is injured and unable to train on the things she needs to work on (her triples).

Sasha lasted 18 months with Tarasova before the breakup. I wonder if she will last as long with Robin (it'll be just a year this Christmas).

lavender

Record Breaker
People are dreaming if they think Aruturain would help one of Michelle's closest competitors if he's going to continue with Michelle. If there’s a break up then sure.

Right now... no SC's not going to get the help from Aruturian.

This is different than sharing choreographers.

Last edited:

mzheng

Record Breaker
Kuchana said:
So since Sasha evidently needs to work on her jumps, maybe it would not have been such a bad idea if she had asked him to be her coach instead of Robin.

RA said last year when Michelle officially hired him that he weren't have any more elite lady, he has enough in his hands. But he might looking for a good, potential boy student. He is very goal oriented, he set the plan and stick with it. Besides he coaches all his student himself, he dose not delegate, thus with Michelle at his hands and some of his young student, he might just not have enough time for any more elite lady. He wants his own girl.

mzheng

Record Breaker
But Jeff Buttle will never be 'his boy'. Abt was 'his boy'. He wants 'his own boy'.

mzheng

Record Breaker
The one qualified as 'My Girl' and/or 'My Boy' has to be the one he brought up along the ranks. Like Michelle is "Frank's Girl".

Lucy25

Final Flight
Fossi said:
Sasha went to Callahan over the summer? Very, very interesting. I wonder how Robin felt about this?
This has not been confirmed. It is simply a rumor.

jesslily

Final Flight
It's in the rumor stage. But Sasha mentioned less and less about Robin Wagner in her on line journal. In the past few entries she seemed did not talk about their time together at all. One other hint I noticed is at kiss & cry during Cheesefest, Robin was so humble to Sasha, but Sasha did not really take it. I can tell their relationship isn't that right.
Sasha may be in a hard situation too. She switched to Robin just 7 months and she is in a situation she's not to happy with. where else could she head? Not many coaches are willing to take a skater switching aroung in short term.
As for going to other resource for choreography, I think it's good for Sasha. Robin has her style and she gave all of them to Sarah. Her style fits Sarah very well. It may not work for Sasha. Robin uses lots of counter, rocker, and turn to disguise Sarah's weakness. Sasha does not need too many of these. Any movement can show her dance ability and artistry.
I feel we all should have liberal attitude toward it, no matter it's true or not. If both Sasha and Robin are not happy together, they should just say good bye and find new partnership.

S

SkateFan4Life

jesslily said:
It's in the rumor stage. But Sasha mentioned less and less about Robin Wagner in her on line journal. In the past few entries she seemed did not talk about their time together at all. One other hint I noticed is at kiss & cry during Cheesefest, Robin was so humble to Sasha, but Sasha did not really take it. I can tell their relationship isn't that right.
I feel we all should have liberal attitude toward it, no matter it's true or not. If both Sasha and Robin are not happy together, they should just say good bye and find new partnership.

Why in the world should Robin Wagner be "humble" towards Sasha Cohen? Excuse me, but that's simply ridiculous - IMHO, of course.

I recall one of those up-close-and-personal segments last season that featured the new Wagner-Cohen partnership. Wagner said (to paraphrase), "I'm learning something new about Sasha every day." I thought, "How odd. I would think that Sasha would be the one learning things from Wagner." :sheesh:

We can only speculate because we don't have the facts. Whether a skater is dropping a long-time coach, getting a third citizenship, changing partners, whatever, a skater has to do what a skater has to do.

Whatever Sasha decides to do, she will be responsible for it. Let's allow her to do what she thinks is best, even if we presume to know better.

Joe

S

SkateFan4Life

Joesitz said:
We can only speculate because we don't have the facts. Whether a skater is dropping a long-time coach, getting a third citizenship, changing partners, whatever, a skater has to do what a skater has to do.

Whatever Sasha decides to do, she will be responsible for it. Let's allow her to do what she thinks is best, even if we presume to know better.

Joe

Far be it from any of us in the peanut gallery to stop any of the skaters from dropping a long-time coach, getting a third citizenship, changing partners, etc.
I think we all understand that the skater has to do what's best for him, her, they.
Absolutely, they are the ones who are ultimately responsible for their decisions.

On the other hand, as long as we aren't bashing the skaters, a little bit of speculation is harmless.

Thank heavens we aren't judges! :rofl:

mzheng

Record Breaker
jesslily said:
One other hint I noticed is at kiss & cry during Cheesefest, Robin was so humble to Sasha, but Sasha did not really take it. I can tell their relationship isn't that right.

I observed this too. When the mark first posted Sasha seems very cold to respond Robin's talk. But she caught up herself fast, may be subconciously understand she was under the tv camera, talked back to Robin.

jesslily said:
Sasha may be in a hard situation too. She switched to Robin just 7 months and she is in a situation she's not to happy with. where else could she head? Not many coaches are willing to take a skater switching aroung in short term.
As for going to other resource for choreography, I think it's good for Sasha. Robin has her style and she gave all of them to Sarah. Her style fits Sarah very well. It may not work for Sasha. Robin uses lots of counter, rocker, and turn to disguise Sarah's weakness. Sasha does not need too many of these. Any movement can show her dance ability and artistry.

But if she really feel uncomfortable with Robin, she needs to make decition quick. It is not good to change coach in an Olympic season.

Right now all I hope is she gets some rests make speed recover from the back injury.

Kuchana

On the Ice
SkateFan4Life said:
Why in the world should Robin Wagner be "humble" towards Sasha Cohen? Excuse me, but that's simply ridiculous - IMHO, of course.

I recall one of those up-close-and-personal segments last season that featured the new Wagner-Cohen partnership. Wagner said (to paraphrase), "I'm learning something new about Sasha every day." I thought, "How odd. I would think that Sasha would be the one learning things from Wagner." :sheesh:

*chuckle* good point :laugh:

epskeels

Rinkside
Robin Wagner sighting

Saw Robin Wagner at the North Atlantic Regionals coaching a juvenile and novice skater.

euterpe

Medalist
It's fairly obvious who is the 'boss' in that relationship. NOT good. If Sasha is a little lazy when it comes to training and Robin is not able to motivate her, it is Sasha's skating that will suffer.

Towards the end of her coaching duties with Sarah, much the same thing was happening. Robin wanted Sarah to train hard, and Sarah's interest was beginning to focus on other things in her life. Sarah trained adequately enough to make the podium at US Nationals 2003, but the downslide was obvious at Worlds 2003 and the Spring cheesefest that followed.

Maybe Robin is effective only if she starts with a young skater and builds the work ethic concomitant with the working relationship, early on.