Paul Wylie in the ABC Booth in Pittsburgh | Golden Skate

Paul Wylie in the ABC Booth in Pittsburgh

Has anyone heard of Paul getting a job with this group? He was quite obvious in the booth and it looked as though he was talking into a mike. However, I have not seen him in the TV showings.

If so, it seems there may be a shake-up at ABC Sports or maybe just retirements. Anyone know?

Joe

bronxgirl

Medalist
As I recall, Dick Button doesn't usually travel to the overseas GP events. Paul Wylie may take his place for the NHK, CoR, etc.

sk8m8

Final Flight
Hmmm, interesting about Paul. Many networks bring in new expert commentators and allow them to "practice" on real events. Pauls creditials would certainly merit him as an excellent commentator. I rather liked Brian Bointano's brief stint when he worked with the ABC team. I don't think Uncle Dick intends to celebrate his 80th at the mike (though one never knows :biggrin: )

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I would love to see Paul doing more commentary. Doesn't Peter Carruthers usually do the overseas stint? 42

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
yes, Peter is normally with Suzie when they do the overseas stuff...

could he have been doing a bit for a fluff piece? or for a local broadcast???

either way I really like Paul's commentary so it's all cool... even if he didn't know what hydroblading was a couple of years ago :rofl:

dr.frog

On the Ice
I've heard Paul is supposed to be doing commentary for the remaining ESPN Grand Prix broadcasts. Perhaps he was practicing at Skate America.

Jhar55

Medalist
Could it be that Paul is taking over for Terry? I've been seeing Terry doing college football lately! The week before Skate America and just yesterday.

thvudragon

On the Ice
Jhar55 said:
Could it be that Paul is taking over for Terry? I've been seeing Terry doing college football lately! The week before Skate America and just yesterday.
Terry also does many of the other ABC sports. I've seen him doing track and field, NASCAR, etc.

jesslily

Final Flight
I'm not sure Paul has the right voice. For years people are used to listen to Dick Button, Peter Carruther, and Terry Gennon's voice, they may feel a little weired to hear a new voice. Few years ago Brian Boitano did commentating next to Dick Button, it's just briefly...

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Paul's voice is a bit high-pitched, but I find it more pleasing to listen to then either Brian's or Chris Bowman's.............42

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Paul's got a great voice... and it's no higher than Dick's was back in teh day ;) :rofl:

I don't think Terry wants to get rid of figure skating. ABC gives him great trips overseas which he probably never would have taken. In addition to his other sports I think Terry is more than likely stay with the ESPN as well as ABC and represent 'everyman' on the team.

I think we have to stay tuned to see if Paul passed his voice test during Skate America, and if so where will he figure. I think the suggestion that he do the overseas competitions is quite logical since both Dick and Peggy have done all of them and more than once. They are probably tired of the long trips.

Then the retirement of Peggy and Dick is not so far off, and we may be getting Nancy and Paul. Just a guess.

Joe

mpal2

Final Flight
Do you think we'll see Peter and Susie along the way? I know Peter irritates some people but I really like the entire ABC team. I don't want to see any of them go. I want to keep them all plus add Nancy in to the mix. :cool:

brad640

On the Ice
Those who are hoping Nancy will work with ABC/ESPN need to remember how AWFUL she was when she used to do segments for Lifetime Sports. Very unprofessional and no personality. Terry Gannon has come a long way since he started. I really missed him when he was "on assignment" and that substitute with a very annoying voice had no clue what was going on. Susie was very nice to him but I was so glad when Terry came back. Also, I think Terry likes to flirt with Susie.

Last edited:

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
I couldn't agree more with all of you. I've really enjoyed the GP commentary this year, I think Paul is doing a marvelous job and I hope they keep him! His voice is not the greatest for broadcast, true, but that can be worked on. He's got the important stuff down - he knows his stuff, he's personable, he interacts well with the rest of the team, and it's clear that he respects what the skaters are doing.
I missed Terry Gannon when he went on assignment and was really happy when he came back, and even Peter Carruthers is growing on me. I hope they don't add Kerrigan to the mix, though. Her voice, while improved and not so annoyingly nasal, is not yet broadcast quality, and, just as when she was skating, what little personality she manages to project does not show on camera.
Let's keep it as is for a couple of years and see how it jells, shall we?
Rave

nicole_l

Final Flight
Terry Gannon has come a long way since he started. I really missed him when he was "on assignment" and that substitute with a very annoying voice had no clue what was going on.

Wow, I honestly never thought that Terry Gannon wasn't ever a skater! But he's awesome and I hope he sticks around for a long, long time.

katherine2001

On the Ice
Actually, I believe I read that Terry was a basketball players, if I remember correctly. I missed him too when the other guy took his place. I think that over the years, he has learned a lot about figure skating and I don't think his questions are all that bad, just things that a person may wonder about if they are not all that knowledgeable. He does ask things that I wonder about once in awhile.

I think Paul Wylie does a pretty good job. I prefer him to Peter, and I learn a lot from Paul. I think he will be a good fit. I loved Brian Boitano's commentating when he worked with Uncle Dickie a couple of times. My favorite Brian comment was when Uncle Dickie was waxing lyrical about how Alexei Urmanov should be thrilled that he was following a flawless (or almost flawless) skate by Yagudin (I believe it was him--it's been several years), and Brian pipes up and says, "Dick might want to follow a performance like that but I wouldn't!"

brad640

On the Ice
I think terry gannon's basketball background has helped him take a critical look at figure skating and how it compares to other sports, particularly now when skating is fighting for credibility with the general public after Salt Lake. Here is an interesting interview he did for Wide World:

http://espn.go.com/abcsports/wwos/chatwrap/terrygannon.html

I loved it when Terry asked Paul to explain what a bracket was during Johnny Weir's straight line footwork.