Pro Competitions??? | Golden Skate

Pro Competitions???

Arianne

On the Ice
Are there any professional competitions that will take place this year? How about Ice Wars? Any info on the matter is extremely appreciated. I know that the pro's are skating in non competitive events. Is that all they have left to do?

Annie

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
AFAIK, there will be two pro competitions this season. The first one is Ice Wars and it will take place in Charleston, in November 18. These are the skaters that will be there:

Team World:
Oksana Baiul,
Yuka Sato,
Alexei Yagudin,
Kurt Browning,

Team USA:
Nancy Kerrigan,
Krist Yamaguchi,
Brian Boitano,
Todd Eldredge.

The second one is World Team Challenge, that will take place in Winnipeg in December 10. Line-up is similar to last year's:

Team Russia:
Alexei Yagudin,
Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze,
Maria Butyrskaya,

Team Canada:
Kurt Browning,
Sale & Pelletier,
Jennifer Robinson,

Team USA:
Todd Eldredge,
Ina & Zimmerman,
Nicole Bobek,

Team Europe:
Oksana Baiul,
Josef Sabovcik,
Kovarikova & Novotny.

Looking forward to these. Both were great competitions last season.

ETA: As far as events for pro, you have these competitions and shows. There will be some Disson shows (five or six, not quite sure) that will be broadcasted. And then there are the tours like Stars on Ice.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info!
Wow, it's been ages since I've seen Kavorikova/Novotny do anything, will be good to see them again!
I wish there were more pro competitions!

Anybody know when these will be aired on tv? I don't see them on Heather's schedule, which is the only one I have.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Pro Comps

Oksana is on Team Europe because she is Ukranian, not Russian. Also, I doubt that Nancy will be on "Ice Wars" because she is reportedly pregnant.

ID Nurse

Rinkside
I have also heard that Nancy has dropped out of Ice Wars due to her pregnancy. No replacement has been announced, maybe Nicole Bobek?

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
merrywidow said:
I have a tentative schedule that says Ice Wars will be on TV 11/18/04 on CBS primetime.

merrywidow, where did you see that listing for the airdate? Isn't that the actual date of the competition? Doesn't CBS usually air Ice Wars a few days after it has taken place (around Thanksgiving Weekend)? Unless they decide to air it as it's happening...

I usually check Heather's schedule for updates. http://heatherw.com/mk/sch.htm Nothing about Ice Wars yet, but that could change.

Suggestion for a replacement for Nancy - how about Caryn Kadavy ;) ?

I'll be looking for total serious programs to win the meet. If there is any clowning around, I'll turn it off. Clowning around, for me, shows the skater is trying to hide his inability to win the meet. He turns it into an entertainment which is not, for me, a competition.

Joe