Brief Russian article on event with Plushenko and Sokolova | Golden Skate

Brief Russian article on event with Plushenko and Sokolova

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Original
Figure Skating. Plushenko and Sokolova win in Samara​
Evgeny Plushenko and Elena Sokolova became the winners of the second event of Russian Cup of figure skating, taking place in Samara.

According to the senior competition judge Vera Bogush, Sokolova trailed Saint Petersburg skater Tatiana Basova after the short; she then performed her free skate to Tchaikovsky’s “Romeo and Juliette” with far more confidence than her opponent, thus coming in first. Basova, having made several mistakes, settled for second. Olga Naidenova from Moscow became third.

Among men, nobody could compete with Evgeny Plushenko. In Samara, Plushenko unveiled his new free skate to the music of Hungarian composer Edwin Marton, “Godfather”; he was practically flawless. Samarian fans of the skater became the first to see the new jump that has been added to the titled athlete’s arsenal – quadruple salchow. Ultimately, judges gave Plusheko 5.8’s for technique, and 4 6.0’s and the rest 5.9’s for artistry.

Also coming onto the podium for men were Alexander Kondakov from Moscow and Konstantin Menshov from Saint Petersburg.

Last edited:

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
Thanks, Ptichka. Wow...a quad salchow for Plushenko. I am surprised he is attempting that with the knee. But, I give him props. He is trying to step it up technically for the Olympic year. Also, I'm glad to hear Sokolova skated well. She has tremendous heart and such a wonderful personality. I'm hoping she has a great year...or at the least a very solid one so that she has confidence heading into 05-06.

BTW, what is this Russian Cup? I've never heard of it. Is it a circuit that goes only through Russia? That is interesting.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
BronzeisGolden said:
BTW, what is this Russian Cup? I've never heard of it. Is it a circuit that goes only through Russia? That is interesting.
I am not sure, but I believe so. I guess it's a chance for skaters who don't get many international assignments to show themselves on the national circuit.

Thanks Pitchka - These are skaters we never see here. I don't think I've ever seen Basova but I have heard of her for some time.

Regarding Plush. Not surprised he would win, but the question remains, just how bad is that knee? I hope he's not looking for a "sympathy out" in Worlds if he doesn't win or for a "big praise" if he does win. So many skaters are now injured.

Joe

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I think Basova was one of the very few ladies skaters who got a "level 3" on a spin last season. She trains with the Mishins.

As for Plush -- whatever you may think of Mishin, I don't think he is into "sympathy out". As opposed to TT, he usually avoids making excuses; this helps his skaters create more "tough" image.

Eeyora

Final Flight
I guess Tchaikovsky's version of Romeo and Juliet is going to be this years overused piece of music.

libra 1

Rinkside
Re: Looking for "sympaphy out"

Joesitz said:
Thanks Pitchka - These are skaters we never see here. I don't think I've ever seen Basova but I have heard of her for some time.

Regarding Plush. Not surprised he would win, but the question remains, just how bad is that knee? I hope he's not looking for a "sympathy out" in Worlds if he doesn't win or for a "big praise" if he does win. So many skaters are now injured.

Joe

dear Joe, Plushy is not the kind of a skater to look for excuses. You may remember that even after his disaster at Euros this year he never even mentioned his knee though at that time it was red as a streetlight.
In his many interviews he only said he didn't know what happened to his axels. Such stamina is a mark of Mishin's school unlike TAT who runs around with x-rays of her students.

Libra - from Russia, with love