Which Skaters Drink and Smoke? | Golden Skate

Which Skaters Drink and Smoke?

• Thread starter anastasiabeaverhoussen
  • Start date
A

anastasiabeaverhoussen

Which Skaters Drink and Smoke?

The Smoking Room peaked my interest on the subject of skaters who smoke or drink, or who is totally against both. I know Oksana had some trouble years ago but she was very young. Did she have to quit drinking completely or now that she is older can she have the occassional drink? What other skaters like to have the occasional night cap? What skaters or coaches smoke?

E

Ewdokia

Re: Which Skaters Drink and Smoke?

Didn't Yagudin have a problem with drinking before the olympic season started?

A

anastasiabeaverhoussen

Yagudin

I do not know. I don't remember of hearing much about a drinking problem last year with Alexei Yagudin. He did have some problems when he was younger while on tour but I do not know all of the details.

P

Ptichka

Re: Yagudin

I think rumors about Yagudin drinking were just that -- RUMORS. Even the whole tour drinking incindent was more because he was caught drinking while under 21 then actual serious drinking.

D

Dee4707

Re: Yagudin

Ptichka, I agree with you. He was being a teenager.

Dee

A

anastasiabeaverhoussen

Alexei

Yes, he doesn't seem to me to have a drinking problem. Most people have had a drink before age 21 so that isn't really a big deal.

Arthur Dmitriev and Tony Harding are the only skaters I have heard of who smoke.

J

John King

What's Russian for "Past-tense"?

Oksana gave up drinking completely after her late-spring rehab stint in 1998.She also gave up smoking a few years later.

D

DORISPULASKI

Re: What's Russian for "Past-tense"?

Was it Totmianina and Marinin got into a problem with the police trying to get into a bar in Sweden, post Euros, because the Swedish age for drinking is older than she is? It was one of the Russian pairs. Whichever one, one would assume they drink.

Bobek had problem with drink, so they say.

Toller Cranston and Chris Bowman used drugs (per Toller's autobiography).

However, drinking does not mean drinking too much. Any smoking is too much. Dick Button, BTW, used to smoke. My husband, who also used to smoke, used to see him smoking in smoking areas at competitions. Ski quit in 1995, so I don't know whether Button still smokes.

dpp

P

Ptichka

Re: What's Russian for "Past-tense"?

Yes, Doris, it was Totmianina who got into that problem when they were celebrating their gold at Europeans. The problem Totmianina had was not so much that she would not be served, but that she could not even get into the club because of her age (she is 23); apparently they (Totmianina, Marinin, and their coach and Tatiana's boyfriend Vasiliev) waited in line outside for an hour only to be told they couldn't get in.

But that is not what I would call "drinking". If you want to define "drinking" as sometimes having a drink to socialize or relax or whatever, than the vast majority of skaters would fall into this category. I assumed by "drinking" people meant drinking problems.

I

Idleracer

[c]<font size=4><font color="#0000FF">If I recall correctly, Oksana Baiul occasionally even incorporated her cigar habit into her "Chicago" (all that jazz) routine. I'm glad she doesn't do that anymore. There's nothing more repulsive than a woman with a big old ugly cigar in her mouth.

L

Ladskater

If they are competitors hopefully they adhere to a strict health program and do neither vices. I know some coaches smoke and occasionally drink, but they are not in training.

Ladskater

L

lottafs

There was also rumors that Tim Goebel smoked... but I don't think so....

S

Sundancer61

Arur Dmitriev, Oleg Ovsiannikov, Alexei Urmanov and Oksana Kazakova are smokers and most of the Russian men love to party...you can be sure there is booze involved and also the occasional cigarette!

D

Dee4707

It has been rumored that Johnny Weir smokes.

Dee

J

Jaana

>Re the Alexei thing it was to do with being caught drinking under 21, in most countries in Europe inc Russia the legal age is 18 so I guess he could be forgiven for that one.>

Those who have followed skating forums and read skating articles for some years, still remember all that. It involved a lot more, e.g. being thrown out of the COI 1999 summer tour because of drinking and some other matters, and being put on probation by the Russian federation for a year. He also gave some unfortunate interviews about the matter. It was a rather big scandal. This all was though discussed on this forum not very long ago, I believe (or was it elsehere, LOL)? Anyway, all that happened four years ago, and apparently Yagudin is publicly behaving better these days. LOL, but those who remember that far back, still remember all that.

Marjaana

J

Jules Asner

Alexei

Alexei was young, so we can definitely forgive him and also allow him the occasional drink. I'm happy for Oksana that she is doing so well now. I met her at a booksigning a few days after her car crash. I thought it was very brave of her to show up since it was all over the press about drunk driving.

T

The Real Blueboy

Re: Alexei

i rememer reading an article (in sports illustrated after the 1995 nationals?) that nicole bobek took an occasional smoke.

K

KMK0902

Re: Alexei

Regarding T/M and coach not being allowed in to the bar in Sweden, it had nothing to do with the legal drinking age
( in Sweden the legal drinking are is 18, to purchase it's 20 - don't ask me why - stupid rule ). There're a lot of bars/discos/pubs that have specific age limits - they don't want a lot of young kids drinking themself into a stupor. Quite common is for example 21 for women/23 for men or 25/27.

Kat