Which Skaters Drink and Smoke? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Which Skaters Drink and Smoke?

• Thread starter anastasiabeaverhoussen
  • Start date
P

Ptichka

Re: Alexei

KMK, thank you for the explanation. All the articles described it as as drinking age thing, and I did actually wonder at how silly it was to have such as high drinking age. Then again, I know drinking laws are rather strict in Finland, so I assumed it was a Scandinavian thing. Anyway, thanks for cliarifying this. It actually makes sense, since probably this way discoes and bars can ensure a more "sophisticated" clientele.

K

KMK0902

That's exactly right! They want to try to get the older crowd with deeper pockets...:smokin:

Kat

J

Jaana

>I know drinking laws are rather strict in Finland, so I assumed it was a Scandinavian thing.>

LOL, aren´t the drinking laws rather strict in USA also?

Marjaana

D

DORISPULASKI

I find the US varies from spot to spot. The law says 18, but in some areas enforcement is very lax. And some other places, very strict. Some areas young drinkers are ignored unless they are endangering themselves and others. Other areas card old ladies like me let alone young looking kids before they buy. It's the same with speeding. The law says 55 or 65, say, but you don't actually get arrested until you are going about 62 or 72 in NY. I believe its Montana where it is typical to drive as fast as you can and if arrested, you bargain directly with the police for the fine. In Louisiana, according to 60 minutes, the police get to confiscate your car for themselves, and they arrest for the smallest infractions, especially if you are from out of state. Sometimes it requires no infraction at all! 60 minutes set up a camera focussed on the speedometer of their van and managed to get themselves arrested several times, while never speeding.

It's a big country, and not as uniform as one might think, always.

dpp

R

RoaringSkates

Smoking Athletes

A lot of dancers smoke to help lessen their appetite and control their weight. I'd imagine the same may be true in skating, where weight is such an issue.

Discussed on another board - Shae Lynn smokes.

N

nthuz

Vasiliev/Tatiana

UUUUUUhhhhhhh......Ptichka said, ".....(Totmianina, Marinin, and their coach and Tatiana's boyfriend Vasiliev),,,,".
Oleg is married....and not to Tatiana.

Ptichka, why do you say they are more than coach/athlete?

P

Ptichka

Re: Vasiliev/Tatiana

I have read that Oleg has left his wife and daughter to be with Tatiana. I don't recall where I read it, so I appologize if this information is wrong.

C

CuteGreekGoddess

Re: Vasiliev/Tatiana

<span style="color:blue;font-family:comic sans ms;font-size:x-small;"><strong>
wow that is so sad :(
Johnny Weir I think I heard that too
but he doesn't look like a smoker </strong></span>

N

nthuz

V and T

Perhaps something was written about the fact that he leaves his wife in Russia while he coaches in U.S., but he is not in a relationship with Tatiana other than as coach.

C

CuteGreekGoddess

Re: V and T

<span style="color:blue;font-family:comic sans ms;font-size:x-small;"><strong>
wow I heard that Vladimir Besedin
the big guy with the skating acrobats
is separated with his wife and dating a US icedancer</strong></span>

P

Ptichka

Re: V and T

nhuz, the articles I read definitely insisted that they are a couple. Now that I think of it, I believe I read it on a Russian language Artur Werner "conference". Admittedly, he does often pass off gossip as fact, though OTOH he does seem to have some inside scoop. As I said, I appologize if this is misinformation.

L

Lou

Vladimir

I believe I saw a picture of him w/ Naomi Lang. Also didn't Tonya Harding get stopped for drunk driving?

V

Verbalgirl77

Re: Vladimir

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>I believe I saw a picture of him w/ Naomi Lang.[/quote]

I think they showed a close up of the 2 of them sitting together during the competition, up on the JumboTron. They were having tech difficulties with a skater's marks and killed time by showing famous skaters that were sitting in the crowd up on the Jumbotron.

D

DORISPULASKI

Re: Vladimir?

If the guy in the stands next to Naomi that they showed on the Jumbotron was Vladimir, the same guy was with her at lunch at Starbuck's the day of the free dance. We were at the next table.

dpp