Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I've noticed there are a number of new posters here. WELCOME 👍

Tell us about yourself. Really love knowing you all more. :yes:
Glad to have you joining us.
:rock: :cool: :party: :biggrin:

Petlover

On the Ice
Thanks for the warm welcome! I have been "lurking" for several months, and finally decided to join - it's a really fun board!

I am a 50 year old adult skater - started seven years ago as a mid-life crisis thing and love it! I did not think I could skate as a child, so I didn't. I have currently passed ISI FS3 and Dance 3, and compete in both ISI competitions and USFSA at the Adult Pre-Bronze level. I love competing - it makes me work harder on developing good quality skating and staying focused.

I chose Petlover as my ID, since I own 4 dogs and a cat. Only one of the dogs was bought, the rest are rescued, as is the cat (who thinks he is a dog!!!!!).

Welcome to the board, Petlover. :party: :party2: Post often, post long, LOL.

Your achievemnts in adult competion are an inspiration. Way to go!

There are lots of pet lovers here, such as DoggyGirl, RealtorGal, 4DogKnight and Tonichelle.

Hmm. Come to think of it, do we have any cat people?

Mathman:)

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Welcome Petlover!!!

I'm a 4XDoggygirl also, and 3 of the 4 are rescues too. I used to have cats, and would still have cats if I wasn't worried the Greyhound would mistake them for rabbits. So we also have two birds and a fish instead. :)

AWESOME on your figure skating accomplishments!! I've never skated myself but just love competitive skating as a fan. Maybe you can help me figure out a lutz from a flutz one of these days.

Please let us know about your upcoming competitions, and your practice / training, and how it goes. How awesome for you that you discovered a sport you enjoy in these middle young years!!

DG

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Hi Petlover and welcome! Check out the Lutz Corner here on GS. That is where us skaters like to post about, lessons, practices, competitions, etc. There are a lot of adult skaters here (including me) so feel free to share your skating with us. :)

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Hey Petlover! Glad you decided to chime in. Have fun! Now, who else out there is a newbie to this board? We'd love to hear from you........42

Petlover

On the Ice
Thank you all for the warm welcome!

Doggygirl, a lutz to a flutz is as follows. The takeoff to a lutz is supposed to be from a back left outside edge while toeing in behind with the right toepick if you skate counter clockwise, and the flip the same type of toe jump but from a back left inside edge instead. If you watch some skaters carefully, you will see they are on the back left outside edge coming into the lutz jump, and just a split second before they jump, usually as they toe in, the left foot switches from a back outside edge to a back inside edge, effectively changing the lutz to a flip at the last second - creating what is called a flutz.

I can certainly sympathize with the flutzers. So far, I have no more than a half lutz, not quite ready for a full revolution, and it took me over a year to get solid enough to stay on the outside edge and not flutz it at the last minute. My coach and I both agreed that (especially since I am older adult) it is critically important to get my form and technique right when practicing the basic/beginning jumps before I move on. Although I am "behind" several of the adults I started with, I believe my skating is more solid in form and technique, which has given me the confidence to add some speed and keep the form and confidence.

I hope this makes sense! I spent a lot of years watching skating before I started myself, so I learned a lot of the detail first.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
PetLover, welcome!!! I don't have any animals but was once in love with a cockapoo named Harry. He appeared at our church rectory one day and the pastor gave him some water and he stayed for over 2 years. In that time, he became the star of the parish. Kids and adults, including me, would get out on the grass and roll around with him. On Sunday morning, he would sit on the church steps and people would say -- good morning Harry. The pastor always thought that animals should stay outside and so Harry was not allowed to attend services with us. I never understood that because he was part of the church family and probably more popular than the pastor. :laugh: :laugh: Harry loved the pastor and one day the pastor drove up and Harry was across the street and went running across the street as a car was coming down it and hit Harry. The pastor knew something was wrong when Harry didn't show up by his car. Anyhow, Harry was alive but was so injured in his hind legs. The pastor had him put to sleep :cry: :cry: and so it was a very sad day when we would go to church on Sunday and no Harry.

Dee :cry:

Petlover

On the Ice
Dee,
I loved your cockapoo experience! How sad for Harry. One of my 4 dogs is a little blonde cockapoo named Buddy, so I can certainly understand how quickly attached you can get to that cute little breed!
Marcia

LegalGirl82

On the Ice
Another newbie checking in here! Grgranny and Piel, thanks for the warm welcome. I also have lurked for a while and made up my mind to join for the new season.

Petlover, congratulations on your skating achievements! It's a wonderful thing to find something new that you love to do. I, too, did not think I could skate as a child; however, I was right! The last time I tried to skate was in a mall rink in Paramus, NJ. The music over the PA system was the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack (back when the music was new, LOL), and my elegant way of stopping was to hurl myself toward the boards!

I have no pets of my own, but I am the surrogate cat sitter for my cousin's tabby, Sunday. She is an absolute love. My boss used to have a black lab, who was a good buddy.

The name LegalGirl82 stems from my life since high school. I went to court reporting school, worked as a court reporter until I got tired of the nomadic lifestyle and then settled in as legal secretary for the the owner of the black lab, almost 15 years ago.

I look forward to getting to know you all!

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
Hi all. I have been checking in to Golden Skate for about a year now but not a regular poster. I've been posting more lately. I am a big skating fan and skated myself for many, many years (about 15 years competitive, test and college varsity level). Now I'm a stay-at-home mother and don't skate at all but still love to watch! Oh, and I'm a Canadian.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
LegalGirl82 & Sk8n Mama, Welcome!!!

and my elegant way of stopping was to hurl myself toward the boards!
LegalGirl, :laugh: :laugh:

To all the new people, have a great time here!! :agree: I do. :yes:

Dee

LegalGirl82

On the Ice
Hi, Mathman and Dee! Thank you both for the welcome.

Mathman, in my lurking days I always looked forward to reading your posts. Now I look forward to "talking" with you!

Dee, I'm still as graceful as ever. Just last week while walking to my front door with my laundry basket in tow I slipped on something (don't know what) and went down like a stone on both knees! Ouch! Didn't spill anything out of the basket, however.

Hi, Sk8n Mama! I've been to Vancouver, Quebec City and Nova Scotia. Do you live anywhere near those, or somewhere in between?