Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Chris Bowman arrested in gun incident

Chris Bowman arrested in gun incident

It looks like Christopher Bowman's well-publicized problems are still not behind him. According to the Detroit Free Press:

"Former figure skating champion Christopher Bowman was arraigned Thursday and charged with assault after allegedly pointing a loaded revolver at a woman in his Lake Orion (Michigan) apartment."

http://www.freep.com/news/locoak/skater30e_20041030.htm

Bowman was charged with assault and "possession of a weapon while intoxicated."

Mathman

Rogue Leader
    Yikes. That's terrible to hear.

This is unfortunate. Last time I saw CB was on a Fox skating broadcast where he was commentating. I thought he was married or had kids - I could be mistaken. Hope he can get his life straightened out.

I, too, thought he'd gotten over his demons... and I do believe he married and is a father... but like heyang I could very well be mistaken?

yet another article on the subject
    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olymp...-roundup_x.htm

Custom Title
    Christopher was married, but he divorced last year. I believe he has one child.

Poor guy. He was such a talent. What a waste, and I hope he can get over this.

Joe

Ice Angel
    I remenbered he was commetating with Judy Blumberg a few years age. They did for Grand Slam or something like that. Maybe in the show, or in the Blades magazine it showed his family picture. He had a beautiful wife and a baby.
    He is almost 40 years old now. If he could keep a steady family, use all the skating expertise coaching a few talented kids, life should be very great to him.

One reads a lot of posts saying " She/he should go pro". What does that mean if there are no jobs? and how long does a job last? Can you support a family with income from a travelling show for more than 10 years? And what about those skaters who are good but never win medals? How do they go pro?

Joe

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    I remember reading Tollers' tale of Bowman landing on his doorstep when Toller took over as his skating coach. Toller said it was "quite the experience." I could just imagine these two strong personalities working together! Toller said they almost ended up in a car crash the first night!!!

That's a shame to hear about Bowman. Still the "bad boy" of the skating world.

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    One reads a lot of posts saying " She/he should go pro". What does that mean if there are no jobs? and how long does a job last? Can you support a family with income from a travelling show for more than 10 years? And what about those skaters who are good but never win medals? How do they go pro?
    Not to sound heartless, but what does any artist (visual, performing) or athlete do when they can't make a living at what they do best? They either teach or they find some other worthwhile endeavor at which they CAN make a living. Sometimes you just have to move on.

SkateFan4Life
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    Poor guy. He was such a talent. What a waste, and I hope he can get over this.

Joe
    I couldn't agree more. "Bowman the Showman" was a tremendous performer, and although his triple axel wasn't consistent, he had an impressive arsenal of triples and great audience appeal. His antics brought some negative press in the late 1980s/early 1990s, during the height of his eligible career. There was an incident of drug usage while he was being coached under Toller Cranston, and Cranston dismissed him from being one of his students.

Bowman was coaching recently. I remember seeing an interview that was filmed, perhaps, five years ago. He had gained a lot of weight. He spoke well and appeared to have found a satisfactory vocation and a happy family life.

I sure wish him the best!

This is sad, I thought he finally had his life back on track. He was one of the great, wasted talents of figure skating......42

Quote Originally Posted by RealtorGal
    Not to sound heartless, but what does any artist (visual, performing) or athlete do when they can't make a living at what they do best? They either teach or they find some other worthwhile endeavor at which they CAN make a living. Sometimes you just have to move on.
    Absolutely nothing wrong with the skater making his own decisions and those decisions are big in any field regarding retirement.

What I am posing are the posters who suggest that a skater go pro and again I say what does that mean? The posters seem to be saying that there are a million jobs for ex competitive skaters.How many skaters can SOI take into the show? Maybe a chorus job in a Disney thing, but even that's only maybe. And life on the road is not the most glamorous place to be after a few years.

The big bucks in teaching is not just a skater's resume but proof that he can bring medals to his students. That takes time. Yags working with TT is not a good example. He's just lucky to have her. If Joubert wins gold or gives Plush a real run for his gold, then Yags has proven he can train a skater to win. I think we can add Hill to the list who is making it as a coach but it took time. How many yeas are some still trying? Otherwise you have Heiss, Callaghan and Carol and a bunch of new Russians because the money is here.

So my suggestion is to let the skater decide on his retirement from eligible skating. He's aware of what's going on.

average opinionated skate fan
    I am often bemused and amazed here a GS. Bowman has consistantly been a problematic personaltiy in skating for a long time. Self admittedly he was addicted to drugs and, like all good skating fans I hoped he would be able to make a new life. However, now he's waving a gun a someone in a drunken stupor.and still the comments I hear are..." I hope he gets straightened out, I hope he can make a comeback" All of which I think are noble and good sentiments, but just down the board a little ways the unforgiving are making an analogy between Tonya Harding Coaching and OJ coaching. What's the disparity about?

I guess you can fall face forward in a pile of cocain or you can pick lousey husband, either way it'll ruin your skating career, however if you happen to get caught, don't expect much sympathy, but it seems the guys get a little more slack than the gals, just an opinion

Ice Angel
    There are very good opportunities for coaching figure skating, especially if you have outstanding competition records. Young skaters' parents value coaches' trackable resumes. Once you standing on the ice before tou chat to any skater or parent, they'll come to you first...
    The next is all depended how smart and dedicated yourself. With CB's qualification, he can demand at least $40 for half hour lesson. You should work hard for your money. Come in ready to work, don't eat and drink while teaching, show you love to each kid, inform parent's the progress or major problem, don't show your game face if a parent really like to sit in to watch her kid's lesson.
    Many skating coaches make very good living out there. Some of them easily make $100,000 a year.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast