Voting for the Dead | Golden Skate

Voting for the Dead

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I have heard people joke about places where the dead have received votes but thought it was more of an urban legend type thing. Yesterday I voted for a dead man. My candidate of choice for prosecuting attorney died suddenly week before last. There was not enough time to name another candidate so if the dead guy wins the county commision will name a replacement to serve his term. Since the other party's candidate doesn't appeal to me I'm taking my chance with the commision.

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
There is a bit more to that story. Mel Carnahan was a beloved MO governor who died under very tragic circumstances just a week or so before the election. His plane crashed while he was out campaigning with his team, which also included his son.

Perhaps there was a bit of sympathy, but he had an overwhelming support even before the crash. His widow, Jean Carnahan, served the 2-year term.

I just hope that all voters in MO (a swing state) remember that even though a dead guy defeated Ashcroft, he was still appointed an attorney general by the current president.

Yana

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I'm nasty again. That's the reason to get rid of the Bush bunch. Having the NRA running our country.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
STL_Blues_fan said:
Perhaps there was a bit of sympathy, but he had an overwhelming support even before the crash. His widow, Jean Carnahan, served the 2-year term.

Yana

What in the hell are people thinking when they appoint the spouse of a deceased person to finish the term? :confused: :scratch: :unsure: To me it means they don't take the responsibility of the office being filled very seriously. Yikes, my gyn died a few years ago and it never crossed my mind to ask his widow to take over!

I guess if James Carville :rock: or Mary Matlin :eek: would ever get elected to office you can bet they would never be called upon to fulfill the other's term. :biggrin:

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Piel said:
I guess if James Carville :rock: or Mary Matlin :eek: would ever get elected to office you can bet they would never be called upon to fulfill the other's term. :biggrin:

Good one! :laugh: :rofl:

How about Governor Terminator? That would mean Maria (from the Kennedy clan) would take over. Now THAT would be colorful.

Sometimes that does turn out quite well, and there have been situations where the spouse was actually re-elected on her own after the expiration of the original term.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
That Sonny was elected to public office surprised me at the time. Did you know that Susie Coelho of the H&G channel was the third Mrs. Sonny Bono?

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Hey, if Dirty Harry can be the Mayor of Carmel, CA and Love Boat's Gopher can be a Congressman from Indiana (FOUR TERMS!), The Terminator can be the Governor of CA, ANYTHING is possible!

Last edited:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I have a friend from high school who a few years after college was sitting around with some buddies throwing back a few beers just as the political season was getting started. They made up a survey asking people to rate the job the friend was doing as magistrate (mind you that he had never held that or any other office). When they received quite a bit of positive feedback they decided that they were on to something. The friend ran and was elected, and is now running for his eighth term.