Tonya Harding seeks USFSA Reinstatement | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Tonya Harding seeks USFSA Reinstatement

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
World must be coming to an end -- Red Sox won and I am agreeing with Tony on what almost smacks of a socially inclined issue. :think:

Basically, I agree that in order to "change" a person should start by acknowledging their mistake(s). I do not see any change in her mindset from 1992. It would be a cold day in hell before I let my kids skate with her; I would probably also be skeptical of a rink that hired her.

S

SkateFan4Life

IDLERACER said:
Are you kidding? You're problem is you're way too rational. Do you have any idea how many morons there are out there who would be absolutely thrilled to have O.J. Simpson coaching their kid's little league football team? For certain types of people, the prospect of being in close proximity to someone who was, at one time at least, a celebrity of sorts, trumps all other criteria.

I can't imagine any parent who is enough of a "moron" to want his or her child to be coached by Tonya Harding. But, then, perhaps a few parents would thrill in the notoriety of the arrangement. :sheesh:

Tonya Harding had a golden opportunity to resume her skating career with a pro-am competition a few seasons ago, and Michael Rosenberg was her agent. She then was involved with the tire-throwing incident, the police were called in, and that was the end of her pro skating career.

I guess she simply refuses to accept the fact that the USFSA's lifetime ban is a lifetime ban.

heyang

Record Breaker
As Tonichelle pointed out, Tonya has not lead an upstanding life since 1994. There's been incident after incident that shows that she hasn't 'grown up' and accepted the consequences of her actions. Actually, I don't believe that she thinks she will be re-instated. However, every attempt to re-instate gains publicity for whatever she is doing. Wouldn't surprise me if it's all a ploy.

I know she and OJ were never actually convicted by the justice system. The public has punished them a great deal more than the courts.

In the Chris Bowman thread, someone asked why Chris isn't tarred with the same brush as OJ and Tonya. With OJ and Tonya, their 'crimes' resulted in vicious harm to other people. No one really believes that they are innocent. It really seems that OJ & Tonya desire the public spotlight. If they had laid low and changed their behavior, the public would have been more forgiving.

Chris's problems were well-documented, too - however, they were viewed as youthful behavior and only truly harmed himself. Also, he seemed to grow up as he moved from Ice Capades to a career in coaching and did have a seemingly successful relationship. None of us knows what triggered his most recent infamy, but he hasn't been a publicity hog over all these years.

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Anyway, the article states that Tonya has incorporated figure skating into her boxing training - AND - she is seeking reinstatement with the US Figure Skating Association.

I'm glad to see that she is figure skating for exercise/training but her second statement "she is seeking reinstatement with the USFSA" is nothing but a means for her to get attention. She will be 60 yrs old and still saying "I am seeking reinstatement with the USFSA" :rolleye:

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Maybe she can become a figure skating judge. I think they can easily seat her next to an upstanding gentleman like Yuri Balkov. They would make quite a pair. :rofl: :agree: :laugh:

Glacierskater

On the Ice
Tonichelle said:
yes but at the same time she still contends that she was unfairly banned from the USFSA... I can't see how someone who is "reformed" can still play blind to their actions... didn't she get into some trouble last year? I can't see her really keeping it together. She just doesn't seem to want to. Even with her boxing thing she hasn't kept up with the training from reports/articles I've read... so what's the point?

The whole situation is quite sad. Sad that she was insecure enough to resort to these tactics, and sad that she can't let it go.

S

SkateFan4Life

:banging:
Crizzy said:
I swear this girl has more whining and crying than a hungry Ethiopian child.

Do you guys honestly think she understood and has remorse of what she has done to Nancy? I think Tonya only feel bad because she got caught! Please, there are so many things Tonya could do besides skating or even boxing. She can go back to school, get an education, graduate with a Bachelor's or Master's. She is always crying "woe is me", I wonder if she ever stop and think about Nancy when one of her henchman club her knee and could have caused permanent damage.. I wonder if Tonya will still be singing the same tune. Tonya was the only US lady to ever land a 3 axel in the senior field and she just wasted that amazing talent. Even a decade later, 3 axel is uncommon for ladies. I do hope that she would move forward and attend college because there is nothing more rewarding than walking on that stage receiving your diploma. I wonder if she has some cheese to go with that whine. :laugh:

Tonya Harding dropped out of high school at the age of 15 to concentrate on figure skating, full-time. Sorry, I cannot give you a website to verify this, but I did read this during the Harding/Kerrigan saga of 1994. Harding is a classic example of someone blowing one golden opportunity after another. IMHO, of course. It just defies logic to think that any parent would want their child to be coached by this woman. Egads. :banging: