Are U paying attention to Regionals? | Golden Skate

Are U paying attention to Regionals?

MasterB

Final Flight
I just reviewed the results of the Regionals, and I have noticed that Sydney Vogel won her competiton. Remember her from the Mid 90's. I thought she had quit the sport. Beatrisa Liang won her Regionals as well, with Ye Bin Mok taking the second spot. I could not find Naomi Nari Nam. Does any one know if she is competing this year? AP seems to be out of the picture completely. I guess her injury last year at Cup of China was very serious. Looks like Angela and Jennifer have the third spot to fight for, if Sasha remains healthy.

Master B, could you give us a link to Regionals results?

Sydney Vogel was competing for Germany the last couple of years, IIRC.

Mathman

Dave Amorde

Rinkside
Nari Nam will not be competing this season. She did not compete at Regionals, and had no justification for a competition bye. I do see her training from time to time, but I have never asked her what her longterm skating plans are.

MasterB

Final Flight
Searching for results

Go to the usfsa website and then click the result/events link and check there. It takes a little searching but you will find them.

MasterB

Final Flight
Naomi

Hey Dave,

What are you waiting for? Please ask her and give us details about her training. We have all been waiting around patiently for her return. Last year she missed it by one spot.

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
SailorGalaxia518 said:
Does Tim Goebel have to go through regionals and sectionals to qualify to nationals?

No, I think he has some GP assignments. I could rant about that, but I won't. :D

I think you can check regional and sectional results on the USFS website. One of my students skated in Wichita, so I was able to check on her. (10 out 18 in her group. Yay!)

Laura :)

PrincessLeppard said:
I think you can check regional and sectional results on the USFS website. Laura :)
Oh yeah, here it is. Thanks.

MM:)

Hmm. They don't seem to want you to hot link to the Regionals page. Type in Regional in the Search line.

Last edited:

soogar

Record Breaker
I don't believe Sydne managed to compete for Germany. She had moved there and placed 16th (really low, not sure of the exact place) at German Nationals. I don't think that she had officially represented Germany in international competition.

In the recent Newsletter I saw Pacific Coast Sectional, Nov. 10-13 in Escondido.

Wouldn't that are be where Naomi Nori Nan hangs out? and maybe she is entered in this competition.

Joe

Last edited:
S

SkateFan4Life

MasterB said:
I just reviewed the results of the Regionals, and I have noticed that Sydney Vogel won her competiton. Remember her from the Mid 90's. I thought she had quit the sport. Beatrisa Liang won her Regionals as well, with Ye Bin Mok taking the second spot. I could not find Naomi Nari Nam. Does any one know if she is competing this year? AP seems to be out of the picture completely. I guess her injury last year at Cup of China was very serious. Looks like Angela and Jennifer have the third spot to fight for, if Sasha remains healthy.

Good Heavens! Sydney Vogel was the US Junior champion in 1995, winning over Tara Lapinski. She finished in the top five at the 1996 US Nationals, and looked to be poised for a run at the podium. Of course, she shared the ice with the likes of Lapinski, Kwan, Hughes, and Cohen - a very formidable group.

Beatrice Liang was another young skater who appeared to have so much potential, and she qualified for US Nationals, in the senior division, at the age of 12 or 13. She was so tiny and jumped so quickly. I believe she finished in the top ten at Nationals, and now she's relegated to Regionals! :sheesh:

Ye Bin Mok finished fifth at Nationals several seasons ago and appeared to have a great deal of promise. What happened to her?

mpal2

Final Flight
SkateFan4Life said:
Ye Bin Mok finished fifth at Nationals several seasons ago and appeared to have a great deal of promise. What happened to her?
Ye Bin had been dealing with stress fractures in her back. I think her problem now is getting the jumps and conditioning back. Hopefully she will be able to repeat or better her 5th place finish this year. I would love to see her get some international competitions in the 05-06 season.

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Anyone interested in attending here is the information

2005 PACIFIC COAST SECTIONAL FIGURE SKATING CHAMPIONSHIPS
November 10 – 13, 2004
Escondido Iceoplex 555 North Tulip St. Escondido, Ca. 92025
HOSTED BY Escondido Figure Skating Club

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Joe-
When I go to the rink on Wednesday I'll try and get a list of the competitors and post it here on GS.

nicole_l

Final Flight
Beatrice Liang was another young skater who appeared to have so much potential, and she qualified for US Nationals, in the senior division, at the age of 12 or 13. She was so tiny and jumped so quickly. I believe she finished in the top ten at Nationals, and now she's relegated to Regionals!

I'm not positive about this, but I'm pretty sure that Liang has competed at Nationals every year since then, and I'm sure that she'll qualify again this year. She would need to qualify since she didn't place in the top 5, or, I'm assuming, be assigned a conflicting international.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
dlkksk8fan said:

November 10 – 13, 2004

Schedule and roster (practice groups) can be found at: http://www.escondidofsc.org/

Here's the senior roster I've compiled for Pacific Coasts. Naomi Nari Nam did not qualify for Coasts this year because she didn't compete at SWP Regionals.

BYES to 2005 Nationals: Dennis Phan (JGP Final), Danielle Kahle (JGP Final); also Kwan, Cohen, Corwin and Nikodinov for placing in top 5 in senior at 2004 Nationals.

Senior Men: Jordan Wilson (CP1), Daniel Steffel (CP2), Justin Dillon (CP), Nicholas LaRoche (SWP1), Michael Villarreal (SWP2), Christopher Toland (SWP3), Sean Calvillo (SWP4), Michael Sasaki (SWP5-under fill-up rule), Pierre Balian (SWP6-under fill-up rule), Brendyn Hatfield (NWP1), Casey Sullivan (NWP2), Daniel Nam (NWP3)

Senior Ladies: Stephanie Rosenthal (CP1), Amy Evidente (CP2), Joan Cristobal (CP3), Erin Reed (CP4), Beatrisa Liang (SWP1), Yebin Mok (SWP2), Shanell Noji (SWP3), Felicia Beck (SWP4), Sydne Vogel (NWP1), Erica Aden (NWP2), Aanya Reiten (NWP3), Sierra Dickens (NWP4)

Senior Pairs (based on official practice list): Jacqueline Matson & Jason Heffron (SWP/UGL), Lindsey Rogeness & Brian Rogeness (SWP), Stephanie Kuban & Larry Ibarra (SWP/SW-new team), Julian Burns & Themi Leftheris (CP-new team), Marisa Sharma & Amir Ganaba (SWP-new team), Lauren Simm & Devin Matthews (SWP/CP-new team), Christie Baca & Steven Pottenger (SWP/SW-new team)

Senior Dance (based on official practice list): Alisa Allapach & Benjamin Westenberger, Stephanie Ellis & Ian Ross-Frye, Lydia Manon & Ryan O'Meara, Laura Munana & Luke Munana, Elizabeth Palmer & Ryan Stucke (novice last season)

I have junior and novice lists, as well as unofficial rosters for the other 2 Sectionals that I could post in a separate thread.

Last edited:

Dave Amorde

Rinkside
Joesitz said:
dllksk8fan - thanks for the address. Can you find out if NNN is entered in the competition?

Joe

I've already posted that NNN will not be competing this season. She was required to enter Regionals, which (for whatever reason) she chose not to do. Therefore, she has no qualifications for Sectionals.

Dave Amorde

Rinkside
For those of you attending Coasts: I will be doing the official photography there, so say hello if you get the chance. :)

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
dlkksk8fan said:

November 10 – 13, 2004

Are you going? I would like to go. Do you have a time schedule?