Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Cohen Withdraws from Cup of China

Down With It
    ***** just won an NHK with 5 triple jumps.
    That was a SPOILER...I did not want to be spoiled!!!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    Interesting that neither Sasha nor Michelle is considering withdrawing from Marshall's -- at least no announcement has been made so far. This supports my theory. The so-called cheesefests have become the new Senior Grand Prix, relegating those other events to lesser status. Money talks.

Mathman
    I don't quite agree with that. Of course the money could be a factor, but Marshall's is still almost a month away. If I were Sasha, I would be optimistic that it would give me the the opportunity to test my new program before the US Nationals. Michelle is playing it safe, by not doing the GP, but she too would welcome the opportunity to perform her programs before an audience in a low pressure competition, before the USN.

We don't know the situation. If the injury is really bad, Sasha or Michelle may still change their minds about Marshalls. OTOH they may just decide to skate a diluted version of the program in that competition.

I wish Sasha well. I think she is doing the right thing- listening to her doctor.

Vash

Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog
    That was a SPOILER...I did not want to be spoiled!!!
    Red Dog, don't worry, something surprising happens in the long! (Oops. Forget I said that.)

Vash, I agree with your speculations about Sasha's and Michelle's plans. But I am still intrigued at how the three made-for-TV competitions are prospering, while other events are becoming less popular. Maybe these will take the place of the professional competitions that were big during the 90s.

Mathman

MZeng & all that are going-----Hope you have a really great time in China.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Grgranny
    MZeng & all that are going-----Hope you have a really great time in China.
    Thank you, Granny.

I guess i can expect to watch Cup of Rusia alive in CCTV.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    Red Dog, don't worry, something surprising happens in the long! (Oops. Forget I said that.)

Vash, I agree with your speculations about Sasha's and Michelle's plans. But I am still intrigued at how the three made-for-TV competitions are prospering, while other events are becoming less popular. Maybe these will take the place of the professional competitions that were big during the 90s.

Mathman
    Mathman,

I am speculating again, and I hope to be forgiven for that. I see a few differences between the made for TV comps and the GP series.

1.The MFTV's typically get (or try to get) most top skaters in the same competition. The GP's don't.

Any given GP competition has a diluted field with one or two top skaters, some wannabes, and some perennial (sp?) low place finishers. Without a tough commpetiton, the top skaters usually win (imagine this year's SA with Michelle or SC with Sasha). The only interest is in finding out what the new programs are like. The GPF attracts a little more interest, but it is too close to the nationals to be THE important competition. The viewers have to endure 6 weeks of diluted competitions before seeing the GPF, and even that is not aired live or immediately. None of the GP's are aired live. Of course neither is the Marshalls or Campbell's, but at least it is a more competitive field. The Campbell attracts viewers because of the possibility of seeing the newest programs. The Marshalls probably attracts viewers to see the 'finished product' even though the skaters may dilute it a bit, and save the best for later.

2.It is easier for the networks in the US and the US skaters in particular to do a Marshalls than travel half way round the world for an NHK or COR. Majority of skaters in these fluff competitions are from the US, and it is good money without too much pressure.

I really hope these fluff competitions won't be the replacements for the pro competitions. Long ago I used to enjoy the likes of Landover, and even Ice Wars. It was an opportunity to see something different from the jump fests (although I love eligible competitions), while maintaining a certain amount of seriousness about them. I long to see something like that. I think the Campbells and Marshalls have their place, but it will be unfortunate if that's all we get outside the eligible competitions.

Vash

Custom Title
    I am wondering why everyone thought Sasha skated so "badly" at Campbells
    I don't get it either. I think she was decent. I guess everyone was expecting her to continue her performance from Marshall's last year.

She skated well enough to get third place. But to me her performance was hit and miss. Brilliant lyrical moments interspersed with "huh? -- what was that supposed to be?"

Of course if her back was hurting it is easy to understand. I hope she is up to 100% for Marshall's next month.

Mathman

I just don't think fans should take Campbell's or Marchalls, either as serious contests. They are what Pro Comps should be.

As for Sasha, she was fine trying out the new program as others did. No one was overwhelming.

Joe

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3