Cohen Withdraws from Cup of China | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Cohen Withdraws from Cup of China

Vicky458 said:
I hope she doesn't risk further injury at the Cheesefest. Do you mean to tell me that she could make more money at the Cheesefest than doing the GP? She made $15,000 at Campbells. How much do they make at the GP?
At one of the regular Grand Prix events she would have made $9000 for her third place finish. At the GP Final, $12,000.

The fee schedules go:

Cheesefests:

1st -- $50,000
2nd --- 25,000
3rd --- 15,000
4th ---- 5,000
5th ---- 3,000
6th ---- 2,000

Grand Prix event

1st -- $18,000 (down from $30,000 last year)
2nd --- 13,000
3rd ---- 9,000
4th ---- 3,000
5th ---- 2,000

Exhibition fee for skaters who do not win prizes -- $200.

GP Finals

1st -- $25,000 (down from $50,000 last year)
2nd --- 18,000
3rd --- 12,000
4th ---- 6,000
5th ---- 4,000
6th ---- 3,000

In announcing the fee schedule for the cheesefests, the USFSA made it clear that their intent was to elevate these made-for-TV events as serious competitions.

"'By introducing this prize money U.S. Figure Skating is making a significant investment in establishing these three events as major competitions for the top athletes in our sport,' said Chuck Foster, president of U.S. Figure Skating."

In addition to prize money, I think that the skaters can also negotiate appearance fees. I have read that in past years Michelle received something like $100,000 per event, but I don't know whether that is true or not.

I do know know that (like MZheng says) the skaters try to honor their contracts once they agree to compete in the cheesefests (unlike their commitments to the Grand Prix series, which do not seem to be taken very seriously). This was reported to be the main reason why Sasha insisted on skating in the December event last year, honoring her commitment even against the wishes of her coach. Reportedly this was the main issue over which Sasha and Tarasova broke up last year.

Mathman

I don't believe Sasha is money driven. She wants to ensure that she gets a gold in Moscow, and why not? Anyone entered at Worlds wants the same. I believe the back is sore and not going to Beijing is the correct move.

Not to do Marshalls could look cowardice but more important it is good practice to see how she stands up against the other skaters especially her compatriats whom she will meet in the more important Nationals the following month.

Joe

MZheng said:
There is no stop flight from east coast to city of china. Flight from west coast (Cal) to China, usually took 17 hours. Unless she took charter plane. lol.
The one with the red velvet couches, LOL.

MZheng, if you go to China on the 17th I think that will be too late to see the Cup of China live (Nov. 11 - 14). Anyway, have a great trip and be sure to report back on any skating that they show.

rtureck said:
I bet you have already reserved your tickets
I most certainly have! :yes: I will be sorely disappointed if Sasha is not able to participate. But of course her health comes first.

Mathman :)

euterpe

Medalist
Sasha skated poorly (for her) at Campbell's, and it seems her jumps had taken a holiday. Shortly after that, she announced that she had a back injury and would be unable to practice her triples.

After a competition where she couldn't land her triples, and a month of not practicing them, how will she be able to be in competition shape 3 weeks later?

If her back is really injured, doing Marshall's may not be the best thing. If she further injures herself, she won't be up to par for Nationals.

And Torino is only 15 months away.

S

SkateFan4Life

Thanks for sharing this with us. I'm truly sorry to read this, as it sounds as if Sasha's serious back injury is a recurring situation. Back injuries are serious, and Sasha needs to take extraordinarily good care of herself to heal and not aggravate her back.

Hopefully, this injury will not derail Sasha's competitive season, as it did in 2001.
Remember that she missed the pre-OIympic year (as next year will be), and she arrived at Salt Lake City with precious little competitive experience under her belt. Obviously, Sasha has racked up an impressive set of competitive credentials in the past three years.

Good luck, Sasha. Get well soon!

lavender

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
Cup of China November 11

Three weeks later and back is healed:
Marschalls - December 3

I do believe Sasha's back has been bothering her, but I believe dropping out of CoC was to give her some time to skate a decent program at Marshalls which has more top tier skaters entered. It's strategy and why not?

Joe.

Well she might pull out of Marshalls if she's still having a problem. I think she's learn from last year. If she's not feeling well/injured even Marshalls wouldn't be a good idea.

Fossi

Final Flight
euterpe said:
Sasha skated poorly (for her) at Campbell's, and it seems her jumps had taken a holiday. Shortly after that, she announced that she had a back injury and would be unable to practice her triples.
QUOTE]

I am wondering why everyone thought Sasha skated so "badly" at Campbells. Was this skate any different than her skates last year? She has won many competitions landing only 4-5 triples and having mistakes. Maybe we are expecting too much from Ms. Cohen?

jesslily

Final Flight
I feel Sasha did not do too worse than her normal performance. The major difference between this Cheesefest preformance and her previous "better" program run-through is her Nutcracker program looked so new to her, and she did not show any feeling and emotion about the music. It looked like Robin and Sasha hadn't spent much time to interprete and run it.

registered

On the Ice
Fossi I am wondering why everyone thought Sasha skated so "badly" at Campbells. Was this skate any different than her skates last year? She has won many competitions landing only 4-5 triples and having mistakes. Maybe we are expecting too much from Ms. Cohen?[/QUOTE said:
I think we are, and it's not realistic. In reality most competitions won with less than 6-7 clean triples, or an absolutely clean performance. In this season, I believe, no lady skater presented absolutely perfect, mistake free LP. SA and SC were won with 4-5 triples (in men and ladies categories), and Shizuka Arakawa just won an NHK with 5 triple jumps.

Vash01

Medalist
Mathman said:
Interesting that neither Sasha nor Michelle is considering withdrawing from Marshall's -- at least no announcement has been made so far. This supports my theory. :p The so-called cheesefests have become the new Senior Grand Prix, relegating those other events to lesser status. Money talks.

Mathman

I don't quite agree with that. Of course the money could be a factor, but Marshall's is still almost a month away. If I were Sasha, I would be optimistic that it would give me the the opportunity to test my new program before the US Nationals. Michelle is playing it safe, by not doing the GP, but she too would welcome the opportunity to perform her programs before an audience in a low pressure competition, before the USN.

We don't know the situation. If the injury is really bad, Sasha or Michelle may still change their minds about Marshalls. OTOH they may just decide to skate a diluted version of the program in that competition.

I wish Sasha well. I think she is doing the right thing- listening to her doctor.

Vash

Red Dog said:
That was a SPOILER...I did not want to be spoiled!!!
Red Dog, don't worry, something surprising happens in the long! (Oops. Forget I said that.)

Vash, I agree with your speculations about Sasha's and Michelle's plans. But I am still intrigued at how the three made-for-TV competitions are prospering, while other events are becoming less popular. Maybe these will take the place of the professional competitions that were big during the 90s.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
MZeng & all that are going-----Hope you have a really great time in China.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Grgranny said:
MZeng & all that are going-----Hope you have a really great time in China.

Thank you, Granny.

I guess i can expect to watch Cup of Rusia alive in CCTV.

Vash01

Medalist
Mathman said:
Red Dog, don't worry, something surprising happens in the long! (Oops. Forget I said that.)

Vash, I agree with your speculations about Sasha's and Michelle's plans. But I am still intrigued at how the three made-for-TV competitions are prospering, while other events are becoming less popular. Maybe these will take the place of the professional competitions that were big during the 90s.

Mathman,

I am speculating again, and I hope to be forgiven for that. I see a few differences between the made for TV comps and the GP series.

1.The MFTV's typically get (or try to get) most top skaters in the same competition. The GP's don't.

Any given GP competition has a diluted field with one or two top skaters, some wannabes, and some perennial (sp?) low place finishers. Without a tough commpetiton, the top skaters usually win (imagine this year's SA with Michelle or SC with Sasha). The only interest is in finding out what the new programs are like. The GPF attracts a little more interest, but it is too close to the nationals to be THE important competition. The viewers have to endure 6 weeks of diluted competitions before seeing the GPF, and even that is not aired live or immediately. None of the GP's are aired live. Of course neither is the Marshalls or Campbell's, but at least it is a more competitive field. The Campbell attracts viewers because of the possibility of seeing the newest programs. The Marshalls probably attracts viewers to see the 'finished product' even though the skaters may dilute it a bit, and save the best for later.

2.It is easier for the networks in the US and the US skaters in particular to do a Marshalls than travel half way round the world for an NHK or COR. Majority of skaters in these fluff competitions are from the US, and it is good money without too much pressure.

I really hope these fluff competitions won't be the replacements for the pro competitions. Long ago I used to enjoy the likes of Landover, and even Ice Wars. It was an opportunity to see something different from the jump fests (although I love eligible competitions), while maintaining a certain amount of seriousness about them. I long to see something like that. I think the Campbells and Marshalls have their place, but it will be unfortunate if that's all we get outside the eligible competitions.

Vash

lavender

Record Breaker
I am wondering why everyone thought Sasha skated so "badly" at Campbells

I don't get it either. I think she was decent. I guess everyone was expecting her to continue her performance from Marshall's last year.

She skated well enough to get third place. But to me her performance was hit and miss. Brilliant lyrical moments interspersed with "huh? -- what was that supposed to be?"

Of course if her back was hurting it is easy to understand. I hope she is up to 100% for Marshall's next month.

Mathman

I just don't think fans should take Campbell's or Marchalls, either as serious contests. They are what Pro Comps should be.

As for Sasha, she was fine trying out the new program as others did. No one was overwhelming.

Joe