Cohen Withdraws from Cup of China | Golden Skate

Cohen Withdraws from Cup of China

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Cohen Withdraws from Cup of China - Press Release

Note: This is a Press Release and therefore, can be shown whole.

Colorado Springs, Colo. (Nov. 3, 2004) – 2004 World silver medalist Sasha Cohen announced today her withdrawal from 2004 Cup of China due to recurring back problems. Cohen withdrew from Smart Ones Skate America earlier this season and has been advised to continue resting her back before reentering competition.

“I am currently on the ice training with limited jumps per the direction of my doctor, Dr. Craig Westin,” Cohen said. “I am disappointed that I will not be able to compete at Cup of China next weekend. However, I am focused on continuing my training and making myself stronger to work through my injury and prepare for the rest of the season.”

Cohen will next compete at the Marshalls World Cup of Figure Skating in Auburn Hills, Mich., on Dec. 3. During her first event of the season, the Campbell’s International Figure Skating Classic on Oct. 1, she took home the bronze medal as well as $15,000 of prize money.

Shortly after the Campbell’s event Cohen flew to Chicago, Ill., to consult with Dr. Westin, an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in sports medicine, whom she has seen since she injured her back in 2001. It is believed that her current back problems may be related to the injury she sustained in 2001 — an injury that forced her to withdraw from the 2001 State Farm U.S. Championships.

In his assessment Dr. Westin performed a full examination including an MRI on Cohen's back. He diagnosed that Cohen reinjured her back, causing severe back strain. He recommended she skate with reduced multi-revolution jumping for four weeks and take part in intense physical therapy to strengthen her lower back.

A replacement for Cohen at Cup of China is at the discretion of the organizing committee. No U.S. skaters have been invited at this time.

We wish Sasha well, and a good skate at Marchalls.

In the menatime, I think Bebe would make a fine replacement. Amber and Jenny already have two spots taken.

Joe

Last edited:

bronxgirl

Medalist
My only complaint to Sasha would be that why didn't she withdraw earlier? Maybe it would have been possible for another skater to get her spot. She had to have known that the long flight to China plus the lost time of intensive training would have meant no CoC.

Interesting that neither Sasha nor Michelle is considering withdrawing from Marshall's -- at least no announcement has been made so far. This supports my theory. :p The so-called cheesefests have become the new Senior Grand Prix, relegating those other events to lesser status. Money talks.

Mathman

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
bronxgirl said:
My only complaint to Sasha would be that why didn't she withdraw earlier? Maybe it would have been possible for another skater to get her spot. She had to have known that the long flight to China plus the lost time of intensive training would have meant no CoC.

Wishful thinking that she would recover faster?

mzheng

Record Breaker
That is a smart decision. Fans should've already to take the hint, a few days ago she took off the CoC from her competetion schedule says it all.

I guess no GPs for Sasha's either.

[qoute]
This supports my theory. The so-called cheesefests have become the new Senior Grand Prix, relegating those other events to lesser status. Money talks.
[/qoute]

ITA, money and contract talks. And along the way, one has to take care her health herself. How many fans still remember Tara? If not for her beating MK, I'd forgot her already.

Sasha at this stage of caree can any show skating as she choose. She'll be exceptional show skater even without the jumps. No points to ruine her body further to the extend not even able to do show skating like Tara.

Hope she gets well soon. So fans can have a three way duel at the Worlds.

Eeyora

Final Flight
I'm confused the article states that no Us skaters have been invited at this time. I thought Angela was invited last week.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
This supports my theory. :p The so-called cheesefests have become the new Senior Grand Prix, relegating those other events to lesser status. Money talks. Mathman
Money and no short programs.

Vicky458

On the Ice
Cheesefest

I hope she doesn't risk further injury at the Cheesefest. Do you mean to tell me that she could make more money at the Cheesefest than doing the GP? She made $15,000 at Campbells. How much do they make at the GP?

jesslily

Final Flight
Making or not making prize money from GP isn't a major reason for Sasha to compete or not compete at CoC. With her talent she can make best living though shows and tours. Her back injury can take a lot longer to heel than she originally thought. Plus it's a long 16 hours plane ride to China. The Grand Prix Final is also going to be held in Beijing. Not many skaters want to fly there in both November and December.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Sasha

I don't know the prize money for the GPF, but the winner at the GP events gets $18,000.00, whereas the winner at the cheesefests gets $50,000.00. I think the main thing, though, for many skaters, are the flights. Not only are hours in a plane bad for back injuries/back pain, but Plushy skipped the GP, in part, because his doctors told him to avoid flying; it aggravated the otitis (sp?) that put him in the hospital last year.

rtureck

Final Flight
Non stop flights from most USA cities to China is about 12 hours or less, how nice, North Pole to the rescue.

http://www.china.org.cn/english/China/39951.htm

The strong magnetic field in the North Pole might affect the telecommunication equipment of the plane, and its temperature of minus 60 to 70 °C require better fuel-burning standards

Maybe Cohen took a long time to make her decision to withdraw from COC, because she is afraid that the North Pole magnetic field may fry her cellphone :rofl:

MM said:
Interesting that neither Sasha nor Michelle is considering withdrawing from Marshall's

I bet you have already reserved your tickets

Last edited:

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
bronxgirl said:

Bear in mind, Sasha is a very strong-willed lady. The first time she had this injury, in 2001, she was determined to skate at Nationals anyway and John Nicks and her doctor had to work overtime to explain to her how serious this injury was; only after that did she actually withdraw then. I'd always wondered when and if this injury was going to come back; back in 2001 they made it sound like it was so severe that if she even attempted to set foot on the ice, she'd end up in a wheelchair for the rest of her life. There's still time to get a replacement in line; after all, Alissa Csizny went to Skate America on just about the same amount of notice.

mzheng

Record Breaker
There is no stop flight from east coast to city of china. Flight from west coast (Cal) to China, usually took 17 hours. Unless she took charter plain. lol.

She should've known that 3/4 weeks apart from SA to CoC pluss the long flight, she would not made it. But may be delayed announce is what USFSA doing, or it will take a little heat off her if anouce one by one not the whole together. You know just show public you 'really' wants to be included in GPs.

She should've get some rest and prepare for coming National and Worlds.

Anyway, I have my trip to china arranged in 17th this month. Hopfully I can watch some GPs alive from there. I believe CCTV5 does alive broadcast.

mzheng

Record Breaker
JonnyCoop said:
There's still time to get a replacement in line; after all, Alissa Csizny went to Skate America on just about the same amount of notice.

I would think replacement to SA is much easier for a US skater than to China. There is visa and international flights need to be arranged.

euterpe

Medalist
BeBe Liang is injured and since she'd previously withdrawn from NHK, she is not eligible to be given a second GP assignment.

I'd think it's much too late for China to find a replacement for Cohen. CoC starts just a week from today; skaters would be due to arrive on Monday, with practices starting on Tuesday. That's not enough time in which to make travel arrangements and obtain necessary visas.

The CoC roster isn't up to date; it still lists Cohen and Pavuk, and Viktoria has a badly injured ankle and won't be able to compete. With no replacements, there will be only 10 Ladies. Stanislav Timchenko has withdrawn, too, so there are only 11 men.

lavender

Record Breaker
This is not news to me. I knew she wasn't going. How could she with so little time to heal.

Last edited:
lavender said:
This is not news to me. I knew she wasn't going. How could she with so little time to heal.
Cup of China November 11

Three weeks later and back is healed:
Marschalls - December 3

I do believe Sasha's back has been bothering her, but I believe dropping out of CoC was to give her some time to skate a decent program at Marshalls which has more top tier skaters entered. It's strategy and why not?

Joe.