Dorothy Hamill, "America's Sweetheart" | Golden Skate

Dorothy Hamill, "America's Sweetheart"

S

SkateFan4Life

There have to be a few folks on this message board who watched (on television naturally) 19-year-old Dorothy Hamill capture the Olympic gold medal at the 1976 Winter Olympics in Innsbruck, Austria.

I remember Dorothy's American beauty rose costume, her wedge-cut hair that flew in the breeze, her exuberant, strong jumps and choregraphy, and her delight in becoming the then-fourth American woman to win the gold medal.

I've had the pleasure of seeing Dorothy skate in person several times, and each time she exuded a charm and personality that seemed to reach everyone in the arena. She was and is a truly special skater.

Dorothy and Dick Button were in the 2002 Winter Olympics opening ceremony, and they passed the torch to Peggy Fleming and Scott Hamilton, who skated into the stadium and gave the torch to the next Olympians in the torch relay.
She later commented (to paraphrase) "I wasn't old enough to fully appreciate what the Olympics were all about when I competed. The whole experience means even more to me now."

For my money she can still skate rings around most of the girls in the sport today.

A little off topic, but I wonder if she will continue as a spokeman for Vioxx now that this arthritis medication has turned up with some bad side affects.

MM

bronxgirl

Medalist
She can't continue in that role as Merck has completely withdrawn Vioxx from the market, so there is no drug for her to promote.

Dorothy was very sincere in her believe in the effectiveness of this product. IIRC she credited it with saving her career and allowing her to skate again. Her arthritis not only caused pain but also fatigue that made her unable to tour.

Mathman

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I really hope she can find another medication that will work for her. :love:

OwenEvans

Rinkside
When I think of Dorothy Hamill, I think of:

* Edges to die for!
* Carriage to die for!
* Flow to die for!

I don't think Dottie had the innate musicality of Peggy imo, but she improved this tremendously during her pro career.

jesslily

Final Flight
Dorothy is just a couple of years older than me, and I always think her skating is no other lady could match then and can match now.

She is the only Olympic Gold Medalist who expands the on-ice career for 25 years after she won the Gold. It shows how much she really loves figure skating.

Her autobiography which I have read maybe over 15 times is the best autobiograpgy in figure skating.

evie4me

Rinkside
Dorothy

With her personality, I am surprised that she doesn't do more commercials - I hope this Vioxx thing hasn't hurt her with the advertising people

diamondqueen

On the Ice
Dorothy Hamill "America's Sweetheart"

Dorothy is so beautiful, talented and gracious and will always be "America'a Sweetheart" :love: She has one of the most endearing personality it is easy to see why she is so loved and admired.

diamond :)

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Dorothy was my favourite and I rooted for her to win at the Olympics. I don´t remember anything about her programme (only freeskate was shown on our TV), except that I really loved it and her skating. Her haircut became very fashionable in Finland also.

Marjaana

soogar

Record Breaker
They showed Dorothy's OGM program in its entirety on Magic Memories on Ice and despite the lack of triples, the program still holds up over time and looks good today.

S

SkateFan4Life

jesslily said:
Dorothy is just a couple of years older than me, and I always think her skating is no other lady could match then and can match now.

She is the only Olympic Gold Medalist who expands the on-ice career for 25 years after she won the Gold. It shows how much she really loves figure skating.

As wonderful as Dorothy Hamill was and is, perhaps one of many reasons why she was "America's Sweetheart" for so many years was the fact that, for sixteen years - from 1976 to 1992 - she was the only American woman to win Olympic gold. A string of wonderful American skaters came short during the Olympics of 1980 (Linda Fratianne, silver), 1984 (Rosalyn Sumners, silver), and 1988 (Debi Thomas, bronze). Had Fratianne, Sumners, and/or Thomas won the gold medal, perhaps they would have replaced Hamill as "America's sweetheart". However, IMHO, none of those women had Hamill's crowd appeal, charisma, and charm.

I certainy hope Dorothy will continue to skate for many years to come. She's a joy to watch! :agree:

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
I remember. It was wonderful.

For those of you who criticize Dick Button for being too nice towards the U.S. competitors and too harsh on everyone else, I also remember very well how he criticized Dorothy when she won her first and second U.S. titles but came up short at Worlds. He basically said that she needed to skate MUCH better than she did at Nationals if she were to have any hope at all to win the OGM. He also said that unless she won gold at the Worlds previous to the Olympics, he did not have high hopes for her to win the OGM. He was very blunt in his assessments and comments. I remember thinking, "OUCH!" at the time.

jesslily

Final Flight
In Peggy Flemming's autobiography which just written and published 3 years ago, she candidly mentioned that after Dorothy Hamill won the OMG and trying to get into to professional circuit, a little uneasy and jelousy came to her mind. Peggy worried that her glamour or fame or market might be hurt or narrowed.
In her book, there are some photos and parts also described how Dick Button helped Peggy before and after she won the OMG. And Peggy got the ABC's comentating job is mainly because of Dick picking up her. Paggy and Dorothy are just a few years apart, so you can see who Dick Button really likes. But for the recent the professonal competitions or show, Dick seems always say quite bit nice things about Dorothy. I feel they are equally great.

S

SkateFan4Life

RealtorGal said:
I remember. It was wonderful.

For those of you who criticize Dick Button for being too nice towards the U.S. competitors and too harsh on everyone else, I also remember very well how he criticized Dorothy when she won her first and second U.S. titles but came up short at Worlds. He basically said that she needed to skate MUCH better than she did at Nationals if she were to have any hope at all to win the OGM. He also said that unless she won gold at the Worlds previous to the Olympics, he did not have high hopes for her to win the OGM. He was very blunt in his assessments and comments. I remember thinking, "OUCH!" at the time.

Do any of you remember the 1976 Winter Olympics cover story in Time magazine that had a photo of Dorothy Hamill? The article stated that, while Dorothy was the three-time US champion, she had finished "only" second at Worlds the previous two seasons and, therefore, wasn't the overwhelming favorite for the gold medal. It quoted Dick Button as saying (of Hamill) "She can blow it." Evidently, Hamill had made several costly errors at the 1974 and 1975 Worlds which cost her the gold medal.

I used to wonder why Dorothy wasn't one of the "expert commentators" for the US Nationals or any other major competitions. Then I realized, duh, that Dick Button was the major domo with ABC-Sports, and he brought in Peggy Fleming,
who has been a commentator for nearly 25 years. Occasionally, Dorothy has commentated on skating competitions, and she's done a very commendable job, in my opinion. She's articulate, smart, compassionate, and darned charming to boot.

shine

Record Breaker
I'm not sure about Hamill being smart. I still haven't forgotten her remarks from a few months ago....