Heartbroken........... | Golden Skate

Heartbroken...........

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
It just keeps getting worse and worse. We found out about an hour ago that two local boys, both marines, were killed in Iraq this morning. One of the boy's father was a friend of mine, and both of the boys were friends of my youngest son................42

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Show, I am so sorry. Your friends will be in my prayers.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Show, that's horrible. I work with someone whose son was a marine killed in Djibouti. It certainly brings the war home...

eliza88

On the Ice
This is very very sad. My condolences,...

This war should never have happened.

eliza88

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Thank you friends, for your kind words. It was pretty somber at work today. One of the boys went to grade school here where I work, and everyone knew him. Both boys will be missed. My heart goes out to their parents for their loss. 42

JOHIO2

Medalist
Show 42, please pass on my condolences to your friends and their families. Having a son currently in Iraq, I don't even want to imagine their pain. I don't care about the "statistics" involved, when it is YOUR child or spouse or sibling or close friend, those statistics are meaningless.

So many young people gone and for what? Four more years of a blindered, bull-headed "leader" who lets everyone else do his thinking and our young people take the chance of losing their lives when he never would have taken such a risk himself. "Chickenhawk" certainly describes our current leaders.

Earning a "gold" star is not in my plans. And I am sure it wasn't in your friends. They have joined a club none of us wants to join. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Jo, I thought of your son right away and hope that he is safe and well. The two families of the slain marines will each receive their service medals.......not much of a comfort..............42

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
The funerals for the two young marines took place an hour ago. They were buried side-by-side with a full military send-off. Apparantly, these two young men have gained national recognition. They went to school together, went off to war together, and now will spend eternity side-by-side. Their parents will be interviewed tonight on the national news, I believe "World News Tonight" is the program that will carry it...................42

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/041112/480/rsb10211120010

Last edited:

LegalGirl82

On the Ice
show 42, my condolences to you and the families of the men killed. How touching that they were buried side by side. Take care.

I'm so sorry for your loss, Show. There are so many who have lost so much for so little, at least IMO, which of course in no way affects the tremendous courage of the soldiers and the dedication of their families.
Hugs,
Rgirl

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Thank you again everyone for your kind words........it has been very much appreciated............42

JOHIO2

Medalist

Thank you for your kind words. My son is OK. Working hard and long hours. He is stationed in Tikrit. They work in the "presidential palace" and stay in the compound. Recently, the insurgents bombed a hotel nearby. Guess the goal was to kill or frighten foreign press and workers. My son said they didn't even hear the bombing but heard the chaos and sirens afterward. He said "you don't realize just how big this estate is." His command is also in charge of Samarra. When he arrived in Iraq, Samarra was left to Iraqi self-rule. Then the US fought to retake it. Not anything like the horror happening in Fallujah. And his job is not usually frontline like those young Marines your friends recently buried.

Those two young men made national news. I hope the stories gave at least some comfort to those families and your community. Now that the funeral is over, the hard part begins. Our family readiness group recently heard about the death of a young soldier in the part of the unit in Afghanistan. She was only 24. Same age as my son. I'm sure my son knew her but she is only a name to me. One good part of the reserves and the guard is the support available to families while their loved ones are on active deployment. Family members not on or near the base of regular service members don't have the same support system. I hope the community, and not just Marine families and close friends, remember to give continuing support to the families of those two youngsters.

Again, my condolences to you and your son and friends on the loss of those two young Marines.