NHK Trophy - Results - Free Dance | Golden Skate

NHK Trophy - Results - Free Dance

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
This is very interesting. For Navka & Kostomarov this should be a wake up call. Also very glad for Gregory & Petukhov. A 4th place finish is great - they are 1st after 3 very well established teams. I think that really paves the future for them. BTW, I don't remember -- will Denis be able to compete in Turin? Not that I think they can realistically medal, but they are developing nicel, and it will be just too frustrating if US won't be able to send either one of its top 2 teams. Actually Matthews & Zavozin may be switching to Seniors soon, and I don't know Maxim's status either.

Great news for Denkova and Stavinsky. I hate competitions where one of the skaters or teams is a shoo-in. I think the only shoo-in now, is Evgeny and maybe S&Z.

I saw a lot of pzazz of Melissa and Denis at last US Nats I am not surprised that they would start moving on up to the top. Very pleased with their solid 4th and way above the next Russian hope.

Joe

Antilles

Medalist
G&P should be able to compete in Turin. They are married, and his citizenship was in process before Belbin's. I read recently that he is expecting to have his citizenship this year. I think Belbin's is due to come in 2007.

I heard N&K had some problems. Apparently they have added difficulty, and are struggling with it. I'm sure they'll have it polished after a couple more competitions.

mpal2

Final Flight
Ptichka,

I can't find the exact source at the moment but November/December 2005 for Denis's US citizenship is sticking in my head. I may be off, but I remember hearing a date and thinking that it would be close. Close is still good enough to be Olympic eligble as long as there aren't any unexpected problems.

chania36

On the Ice
I would like to know if something happen in the long program for Kostomarov andNavka, I know in the second part of the competition someone stumble in the twizzles sequence, but the last part, did they do something wrong to be in second place or did they not.

lulu

Final Flight
chania36 said:
I would like to know if something happen in the long program for Kostomarov andNavka, I know in the second part of the competition someone stumble in the twizzles sequence, but the last part, did they do something wrong to be in second place or did they not.

I downloaded N&K's FD. And to tell you the truth-it is my favorite FD from them. :laugh:
It has WAY more transitions than last year's routine; and I was pleasently suprised with the amount of dance holds in the routine.

On the other hand, there has been some talk that the routine may be too difficult for them(at least at this moment). They seemed to have taken the complaints about their lack of difficulty too heart-and the result is that they don't have their gorgeous polish and crispness that they did last year.
There is also some complaints that they are simply not skating on the beat-and it seems like they are adding difficulty, just for the sake of adding difficulty.

They did get the best TCS scores-including high scores for MO(moves & transitions) and Choreography.

On the otherhand their TES scores were very low. I haven't seen the protocals sheet yet-so it could be that while they had a great number of transitions; their elements are only Level 2s.

D&S(BUL) have a number of level 3 and 4 elements.

sk8m8

Final Flight
I remember Terry Gannon commenting on Denis and Melissa wanting to improve as much as possible since it is likely that Belbin's citizenship may not be through to make her eligible to skate for the USA, while Denis' will be for sure by that time. Assuming that someone doesn't make a major move on the senior level.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
sk8m8 said:
Assuming that someone doesn't make a major move on the senior level.
Two teams would have to do that - thanks to B&A, we're guaranteed two teams. My money for the future of US ice dancing is on Matthews and Zavozin, assuming of course they can stay together.

euterpe

Medalist
Agree, Ptichka. On TV the commentators spoke of Goodwin/Bommentre or Galler-Rabinowitz/Mitchell as possibilities for Turin. I think Matthews/Zavozin will be coming on strong next season and may scoop up the other Olympic spot behind G/P---that is, if Maxim has his US citizenship.

M/Z will skate at 2005 Senior Nationals, but will compete as Juniors internationally this season. I believe Max is still age-eligible for the JGP next season, but I would be surprised if they didn't compete in the GP instead.

What could prove interesting is a developing rivalry between B/A and M/Z for the OGM in 2010.