Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: NHK Trophy - Results - Men's Free Skate - LIVE!!!!!!!

On my best behavior
    Quote Originally Posted by Hikaru
    has anybody read the judges detail score (with the elements and stuff)?? I'm reading it, but there are some things I don't understand, and I was hoping that if any of you did, you could explain them to me

1. On the executed element, when they write something like 3A+3T, is that a combination jump?

2. When they write something like 3A+3T+3LO, is that a combination jump?
    Yes to both.
    3. What does it mean when they write this (is it a jump sequence or a jump combination, or is it something else):

a) 3S+2T+SEQ
    b) 3Lz+COMBO
    The first one means that it was a sequence (i.e., step in between the two jumps). The second one means that it was supposed to be a combination, but the 2nd jump was omitted.
    4) Aside from the difference of the jumps, of course, what is the difference between 3Lz+COMBO and 3A+3T+3LO? Are those two jump combinations?
    See previous responses. The 3lz in your 1st example was supposed to be done in combination, but wasn't. The 2nd example is a combination.

All Hail Queen Yu-Na!!!!!! SailorGalaxia518's Avatar
    Thank you all for your comments. I will be posting live at every free skate including free dance unless I have to work and then I will be just posting the results. I am not in Japan although if I were I would be writing alot more. I am getting this of the ISU result page as they come up. I am doing this so that after or during the competition we could post comments. That is why I posted the links to the results page. I am looking forward to the Cup of China competition. Also, I want to make note that I live in the U.S. an the eastern side so my time zone is EST. The competition didn't start till around 12:00 - 12:30am EST. If you want to adjust your time zone so that it will coincide with the Eastern time zone you can join me live. Again thank you and I will meet you all during the Cup of China competition.

Note: If you live in the U.S. don't forget that Monday, 11/8 at 9:00pm EST on ESPN, it will have coverage of Skate Canada

If Weir is getting marks like that without a quad people had better watch out.Congrats to him!
    So glad to hear this. I love his skating and high marks without a quad, even better yet!! 42

All Hail Queen Yu-Na!!!!!! SailorGalaxia518's Avatar
    I can do LIVE coverage of the short programs if you want??????

Quote Originally Posted by BittyBug
    The first one means that it was a sequence (i.e., step in between the two jumps). The second one means that it was supposed to be a combination, but the 2nd jump was omitted.
    Let me add to this the explanation of why this is needed in the system that is not supposed to look at what was intended but only at what was actually executed. The key is in the following quote from ISU: Repetitions. Of all the triple and quadruple jumps only two (2) can be repeated and these repetitions must be in either a jumpcombination or in a jump sequence. A repeated triple or quadruple solo jump, not included into a jump combination or jump sequence, will be considered as a part of a not successfully executed jump combination and counted as a jump combination with only one jump executed.

In other words, "3Lz+COMBO" probably means that the skater already did a triple lutz, but then did another one without combo. The only way to count this is to say it was a part of an un-executed combination.

Thanks for the refrsher,Ptichka.

A strange rule, but a good one I think. Otherwise, if a skater planned, say a 3Lutz/2toe or 3Lutz/3toe combo and a solo 3Lutz later (which most of the ladies do), and if they missed their first combo attempt and just did the first jump, they would be hung out to dry.

MM

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    Thanks for the refrsher,Ptichka.

A strange rule, but a good one I think. Otherwise, if a skater planned, say a 3Lutz/2toe or 3Lutz/3toe combo and a solo 3Lutz later (which most of the ladies do), and if they missed their first combo attempt and just did the first jump, they would be hung out to dry.MM
    Too bad, I say. If you give a list to the caller and you miss one of the elements on the list then that's an error, imo. Can you imagine a quarter back planning to do a forward pass but got tackled and couldn't?

Joe

Yes, but if a quarterback gets tackled in the first quarter the rules should not prevent him from getting up and trying to get a completion in the fourth quarter. The referees don't say, you already tried that, so you can't try it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    If you give a list to the caller and you miss one of the elements on the list then that's an error, imo.Joe
    There is no penalty in FS for changing your program. What was planned ahead of time is irrelevant.

Personally, I think this makes it too complicated (remember how we all tried to figure out this rule when Sasha got credited with that Ghost Combo?). This is how I would put it:
    A repeated triple or quadruple solo jump, not included into a jump combination or jump sequence, will get 66% of its regular value. If the jump if repeated again, even in combination or sequence, it will not be counted.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3