Grand Prix Standings - Ladies | Golden Skate

Grand Prix Standings - Ladies

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Am I crazy or...

...have the ladies GPF standings to date NOT been updated since COC?????

I'm really hoping someone can tell me I'm not crazy. I don't feel mentally ready for a wheelchair and an institution, where I drool on myself while being pushed around by an orderly in white who looks like Brian Jubert.

Well, upon further thought.... :)

What I meant was, an all white costume might be better. :rofl:

DG

Last edited:

herios

Medalist
Doggygirl said:
...have the ladies GPF standings to date NOT been updated since COC?????

I'm really hoping someone can tell me I'm not crazy. I don't feel mentally ready for a wheelchair and an institution, where I drool on myself while being pushed around by an orderly in white who looks like Brian Jubert.

Well, upon further thought.... :)

What I meant was, an all white costume might be better. :rofl:

DG

You were not crazy. they forgot to do it, while the other 3 disciplines got updated the same day, the ladies ranking wasn't until today. Now, it's updated. (I looked it up several times myself, I was doing the math for Rochette....).

Herios - Joseph ;)

Looks like:

Phaneuf - definite
Rochette - definite
Ando - likely
Onda - likely

To make up the 6:

Slutskaya - likely
Kostner - I guess
Sokolova - tough to stay in this

Of Not:e:

Kirk and Galina skating only the COR.
Shizuka not skating?

Joe

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Up next cup of Russia--Irina vs. Shizuka, both of whom will medal and make it into the GP finals! Now THAT is a competition I would like to see.

herios

Medalist
Joesitz said:
Looks like:

Phaneuf - definite
Rochette - definite
Ando - likely
Onda - likely

To make up the 6:

Slutskaya - likely
Kostner - I guess
Sokolova - tough to stay in this

Of Not:e:

Kirk and Galina skating only the COR.
Shizuka not skating?

Joe

Actually, Shizuka is skating, she just skipped Bompard, which wasn't her scoring event.

So, beside the Canadians, these two Arakawa and Slutskaya, with already 12 points, should make it into the final.
The last 2 spots are up for grabs, both Ando and Onda can still qualify, but Kostner and Sokolova are still to skate, and both can make it, it should be a very interesting event.

ATW27

On the Ice
Looking at the GP standings, I believe the field for the Final will look like this (unless there are any withdrawls or Irinia or Shizuka has a meltdown at CoR):
(in no particular order, really)
Rochette
Phaneuf (Go Canada!)
Arakawa
Ando
Onda (Go Japan!)
Slutskaya (Go Irina!!!)

Theoretically, I think Sokolova, Volchkova, Nikodinov, and Kostner each have a chance at making it, but reallistically, I don't see it happening.
But I could be wrong; as Sarah Hughes once said, you should never make predictions in figure skating, because you'll never know what could happen.

Andy W.

Last edited:

herios

Medalist
ATW27 said:
Theoretically, I think Sokolova, Volchkova, Nikodinov, Kostner, and Sebestyen each have a chance at making it, but reallistically, I don't see it happening.
But I could be wrong; as Sarah Hughes once said, you should never make predictions in figure skating, because you'll never know what could happen.

Andy W.

Sebestyen is finished, Moscow is her non-scoring event. She cannot qualify.

Herios

ATW27

On the Ice
Sebestyen is finished, Moscow is her non-scoring event. She cannot qualify.

Herios

See, I told you I don't see her reallistically making the final!;)
Seriously, Thanks for pointing that out. My mistake - I should pay more attention to those non-scoring idicators. I've allready edited my original post to reflect that. Thanks for catching that.

Andy W.

GlitterTwist

Rinkside
Wow I'm impressed by the Canadian ladies, but remember that these 6 ladies in the GPF will not necessarily reflect anything about the world championships. Both Sasha Cohen and Michelle Kwan opted out of the Grand Prix Series this year and they will both be top contenders at worlds. It will be interesting to see how Joannie and Cynthia stack up against Sasha and MK. On the other hand, congrats to Cynthia and Joannie!

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
No...but....

GlitterTwist said:
Wow I'm impressed by the Canadian ladies, but remember that these 6 ladies in the GPF will not necessarily reflect anything about the world championships. Both Sasha Cohen and Michelle Kwan opted out of the Grand Prix Series this year and they will both be top contenders at worlds. It will be interesting to see how Joannie and Cynthia stack up against Sasha and MK. On the other hand, congrats to Cynthia and Joannie!
Making the GPF is prestigious all by itself for these up and coming skaters. You have to show up to win or place. The fact that MK and Sasha have not shown up for whatever reasons takes nothing away from the skaters who hang in there and make it.

I'm not suggesting that GPF = Worlds. I just want to make a point that these Canadian ladies have been out there this year competing, and they have earned their berths at the GPF by winning fair and square. Woulda, coulda, shoulda doesn't mean much - MK and Sasha did not compete, so who knows what would have happened differently if they had.

Best wishes to all who have gotten themselves out there, and earned their GPF positions.

DG

Vash01

Medalist
I hate to say this, but the absence of Michelle and Sasha created a more interesting GPF field. We get to watch skaters we normally would not get to see, like Rochette, Phaneuf, and to some extent Yoshie- among ladies.

In the mens field Ryan Janhke made the GPF, possibly because Plushenko skated in only one GP.

The absence of top skaters does not diminish the accomplishments of those who made it into GPF. Making it this far may be a shot in the arm some of these skaters needed. They may skate better at worlds because of their improved confidence.

Vash

Vash01 said:
I hate to say this, but the absence of Michelle and Sasha created a more interesting GPF field. We get to watch skaters we normally would not get to see, like Rochette, Phaneuf, and to some extent Yoshie- among ladies.In the mens field Ryan Janhke made the GPF, possibly because Plushenko skated in only one GP.The absence of top skaters does not diminish the accomplishments of those who made it into GPF. Making it this far may be a shot in the arm some of these skaters needed. They may skate better at worlds because of their improved confidence.Vash

ITA, Vash - A competition with most of the usual suspects not competing is fine with me. Second tier skaters are not so second tier, imo.

Joe

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
GPF Finalists - LADIES (in rank order)
1-Irina SLUTSKAYA
2-Shizuka ARAKAWA
3-Cynthia PHANEUF
4-Joannie ROCHETTE
5-Miki ANDO
6-Yoshie ONDA