A question about choreography??? | Golden Skate

A question about choreography???

chania36

On the Ice
Hi everyone,

I would like to know, just for the fun of it and out of curiosity, How much does it cost to have a short program choreography and how much for the long. I want to know for the top skaters and the one that are over the top 10 in the world.

I don't believe there is a set fee for choreography. More than likely, it is arrived at by discussion between the skater and the choreographer. I also think that most choreographers would have sliding scales for less privileged skaters.

Joe

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
I don't know, but I think it would depend on your choreographer, and how much of the progam they do. If they just do the footwork it would probably cost less than doing a whole program.

chania36

On the Ice
Thank you for the fast replies, I just wanted to know by curiosity, because since skaters as amateur do not make much, I was wondering if they had to pay hundreds of dollars for that.

pipsqueak

Rinkside
Hmmmmmmm....

Hmmmm. I've heard that Peter Oppegard charges about 5,000 to choreograph a long and a short for a pair team. I would bet that, for instance, Johnny and Rena paid that or more to Peter Tchernechev for their long alone. Kwan paid about that per program, and even Philip Mills ends up getting anywhere from 1000 and upwards by the time he gets finished (he goes by the hour) and "runs the programs" --i.e., trains them. However, one of the nicest programs I've seen was done for about 500 by the "regular coach" and an "assistant choreographer" called in to help. And then, down in the lower levels---juvenile, intermediate---many coaches do the choreography and don't distinguish it from a "regular lesson"....so it's a job that gets done right along with whatever else is being taught/worked on in each lesson, and thus, "only" costs whatever the # of lessons cost that are required to finish it....probably between 3-5 lessons...or parts of those lessons. Even Frank Carrol, for instance, has been known to do this for his skaters.

JOHIO2

Medalist
chania,

I believe beginning skaters start out with pre-choreorgraphed, standardized programs. I'll bet every coach has a large selection of programs that their lower level skaters work on (and then another skater uses the same program with a few changes) In other words, the coach has a ready-made repetoire available to use with their students, so the "cost" of the choreography is just part of the coaches fees.

The elite skaters are, of course, a different matter. They need a more individualized approach because the skills are more difficult and the requirements for completing a variety of skills in a short period of time call for careful planning. And at that kind of level, each skater needs to differentiate him/herself from competitors.

jesslily

Final Flight
In one resource I read that Lori Nicole charges $5000 flat rate per program, and it doesn't matter how much time she and the skater together put in. I guess if they spend more than 40 hours or so for the program Lori would not charge more.

At local major clubs, a choreographer charge at least 4 hours lesson to get the program major frame done. Plus in the next few months skaters will get one or two lessons per week to inhence the program. So I guess the program costs around 1500 to 2000 for a skater juvenile above.

Some coaches like to set up the major pattern of the programs, and let choreographer to do the details.