Lucinda Ruh: Press Release | Golden Skate

Lucinda Ruh: Press Release

G

GSK8

Lucinda Ruh: Press Release

<strong>MEDIA ADVISORY</strong>

LUCINDA RUH - 2 TIME SWISS FIGURE SKATING CHAMPION ATTEMPTS GUINNESS WORLD RECORD - FASTEST AND LONGEST SPIN ON ICE!

March 17, 2003 - New York, NY - Lucinda Ruh, 23, the 2 time Swiss Figure Skating Champion will be attempting to break the Guinness World Record of the fastest and longest spin on ice.

This exciting event will take place on April 3, 2003 from 3:30 - 5:30 PM at Chelsea Piers/Sky Rink in NYC. It will be free to anyone who wishes to witness this amazing skater.

Performances at the event will also include The Ice Theatre of New York, the city's most prominent artistic ice dance company. Musical guest will be Italian singing sensation, Max Calo. The Guinness Book of Records will be present to witness the attempt and award Lucinda with the official record. The Ambassador from Switzerland will also be in attendance.

<strong>ABOUT LUCINDA</strong>

Lucinda Ruh was born in Zurich, Switzerland, but has lived in Paris, Tokyo, Toronto, San Francisco, Harbin and now New York City.

She began skating at the age of three and is now known as one of the finest spinners in the world. At the age of four Lucinda and her family moved to Japan, where she and her sister skated at the Prince Ice Skating Rink in Tokyo. Over the next few years, she competed in many competitions, which included qualifications for the Japanese National Championships. She became famous in Japan with her Biellmann spin.

Lucinda skated in Swiss competitions during these years, and won her first important competition, the Arosa Trophy when she was 11yrs old.

At 17 years old, Lucinda and her mother moved to Toronto to work with renowned champion and artist, Toller Cranston on choreography and Ellen Burka on jumping technique. After a year in Canada, they moved to San Francisco to work with Christy Ness (Kristi Yamaguchi's coach). In February 1999, Lucinda returned to Switzerland and started to work with Oliver Höner. Her excellent performances at the 1999 World Championships in Helsinki were the highlight of the 1998/99 season. After Worlds, she was invited to tour with the German Stars on Ice.

In November 2000, Lucinda turned professional and toured with Stars on Ice for the 2001/2002 season.

Lucinda now appears in skating shows worldwide and was featured recently on NBC's Diva's on Ice with Katarina Witt. She wanted to attempt the Guinness World Record to inspire children and teens to work hard to achieve their goals whether its sports, academics or personal talents. This gifted skater also wanted to be remembered in the record books as the fastest spinner in the world. Lucinda has been clocked at 270 Rpm's per minute.

R

rgirl181

Re: Lucinda Ruh: Press Release

Thanks, Paula. For those of us in the NYC area who can make go, it sounds like it would be fun. Good luck Lucinda!
Rgirl

J

Joesitz

Re: Record

I mentioned that I saw her at Rock Center yesterday in Off Topic. They announced the attempt at Guiness Book of Records. She'll do it, I am certain. her spins are uncanny and that's not just imo.

Joe

J

JillLaQ

Re: Record

Wonderful news! Lucinda is one class act. I think (but I could be wrong), that the current record holder is Robbie Robertson, who competed for the US in the 50s. He died recently.

D

dizzydi7

I would love to see this event. Wouldn't it be great if some network video taped it and shows it at a competition as a filler piece? Shoot, it would be much more entertaining than watching those "up close and personal" bits where we see the skaters shopping.

Not only is Lucinda a wonderful spinner but I think her performances at Stars on Ice were great. In fact, Stars on Ice could use her right now to spark up that show. Lucinda was skating beautifully after turning pro.

Dizzy

I

Idleracer

[c]<font size=4><font color="#603090">Two things...first, this article doesn't mention what the current record is for the longest spin on ice, or who holds it. I'm wondering if how fast the participant spins might have something to do with it. As a matter of fact, if they were to do this not by the amount of time spent spinning, but by the amount of rotations (which they can easily track by attaching an electronic radar device to her), the whole thing would go alot faster and make for much more compelling television.
Secondly, what kind of spin would she be doing? Will she be attempting to keep up her usual "Clay-Moulding-Itself-On-A-Potter's-Wheel" routine for over an hour, or will she just be sticking to one position?

J

Joesitz

Idle - Do you have a picture of her looking like the Oscar statuette?

Joe

J

Joesitz

Yes, Yes, Idle. Luv it. I think she should make an appearance at the Academy Awards skating to one of the nominated tunes. All she needs is a piece of ice and do one spin for 10 minutes.

Joe

R

rgirl181

Joe, Lucinda skating would probably--wait, make that definitely--be the best production numbers in the history of the Academy Awards broadcast. Remember Rob Lowe and Snow White?
Rgirl
Wow, Idle, she really does look like the Oscar statuette, except for the little Ken doll part--ahem.

L

Lois

Guinness records--Nathalie Krieg & Neil Wilson

Idleracer asks some excellent questions that the press release ignores. I am not sure if this record has been broken, but in the mid-1990s the amazing Nathalie Krieg of Switzerland, my pick for all-time best spinner, set a Guinness World Record for the longest spin that was *almost* as long as a long program, somewhat over 3 1/2 minutes, IIRC (maybe 3:40?). The exact time was published in American Skating World and possibly elsewhere, but I don't have that issue handy. Nathalie used to spin with an amazing number of original spin positions, even more than Lucinda, plus great speed and astounding flexibility. I would love to see video of Nathalie’s world record spin, as I don't know whether she changed feet or position during the 3 1/2+ minutes or not, but I would assume that she at least changed positions.

Ronnie Robertson, to the best of my knowledge, is not in the Guinness Book, and unfortunately I have never been able to find video of his spins, which I would very much like to see, but he was famous for the speed of his spins, which NASA clocked at some very high number of revolutions per minute and studied, as they were interested in how he avoided getting dizzy (the practical application would be for the space program at that time, I believe).

AFAIK, Ronnie Robertson's spins were not timed for length, only for speed, and Nathalie Kreig's World Record spin was only done for length, not for speed, so those are apples and oranges. I know that Nathalie's spins were amazingly fast, as are Lucinda's, and I'm sure that Nathalie, Lucinda, and Ronnie Robertson could all have produced excellent World Record attempts at both RPM speed and length of spins, but these are different types of records, as is most revolutions in a spin, which I think is what Neil Wilson did for a Guinness record a few years back (I have no idea if Nathalie's record spin was checked for number of revolutions, or if Neil Wilson's was timed, and it is possible that Neil broke Nathalie’s time record, but my recollection is that Neil’s was for a specific number of revolutions—around 77—rather than for time, which would make his record a different one and leave Nathalie’s standing).

In short, there are at least two existing Guinness spin categories, I believe--number of revolutions in a spin and length of spin--where I think the records are held by two different skaters, Neil Wilson and Nathalie Krieg, respectively, and there could potentially be a third category, fastest spin, where there is existing timing for Ronnie Robertson, at least.

As far as I can tell from that poorly worded and vague press release, Lucinda will be trying to break Nathalie Krieg’s record for the longest spin (timed), unless Neil Wilson took that record, and Lucinda may be trying to set a separate (and, I think, new category) record for the fastest spin, unless Ronnie Robertson’s old RPM data counts in that category.

Incidentally, if anyone would like to see some photos of Nathalie Krieg, and a video of one of one of her spins that is *nowhere near* the best that she could do, I have some stuff on Nathalie at members.aol.com/sk8spince...thalie.htm

Lois
The Robin Cousins Page
members.aol.com/loisy/cousins/index.htm

D

DJStuCrew

Luncinda Ruh: Press Release

<strong>Lucinda has been clocked at 270 Rpm's per minute</strong>

270 revolutions per minute, per minute? Wow -- I wonder how she'll speed up like that and how she'll counter the enormous G forces? :)

J

Jules Asner

Re: Luncinda Ruh: Press Release

WOW~
I forgot to go see her last wednesday :(

J

John King

Lucinda Ruh

Shirley Bassey,get your pipes ready:"Goldfingah...!!":rollin:

C

carlantz

What kind of record?

Most revolutions in a minute?
Longest spin?
Will she do the fastest scrach spin?

L

Lois

Lucinda on The Today Show on Thursday morning

The USFSA has the following blurb on Lucinda's Guinness record attempts online at: www.usfsa.org/news/news.h...ting-11481

<<Skating on Today Show April 3

Swiss skater Lucindah Ruh will appear on the Today show Thursday morning, April 3, to promote her attempt at setting two different Guiness World Records. On Thursday afternoon at Chelsea Piers Sky Rink, Ruh will go after the record for most continuous spins on one foot (current record is 60 by Neil Wilson of Great Britain) and the record for fastest upright spins, a feat that has not been previously recorded officially. USFSA member Shawn Rettstatt will serve as the official judge for the world record attempts.>>

So, it seems that Lucinda will not attempt to break Nathalie Krieg's Longest Spin record, and that Ronnie Robertson's incredibly fast timed spin from the 1950s or 1960s was never officially recognized. After tomorrow, it appears that any future great spinners will have three separate spin records that they can try to break (longest, fastest, and most revolutions on one foot).

Lois