Paul Wylie - Commentator | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Paul Wylie - Commentator

clairecloutier

Final Flight
I'm really enjoying Paul's commentary. Listening to him, I feel like I'm really learning something. I like the way he gets into specifics, such as talking about individual steps, head movements, and musical phrasing. These are things other commentators don't talk about much, or at least not in such detail.

I also enjoy Susie's commentary to some extent, but I find her a little inconsistent. For example, I remember a few years ago when Chait and Sakhnovky were doing really well, Susie had nothing but good things to say about their skating. Then, when they dropped back down to 5th or 6th in the world, she suddenly started saying that their basic skating technique needed improvement. Which just made me wonder: Why didn't she say that before?

Vash01

Medalist
heyang said:
I enjoyed Paul's commentary. He presented neutrally. Just what we need after Scott Hamilton's raving live editorial during the pairs LP at the Olympics.

ITA. I liked Paul's low key approach. Given enough time he will develop the confidence which is the only ingredient missing right now. I hope he will maintain his objectivity, regardless of his likes and dislikes. Good job so far.

Vash

Eliza

Rinkside
I also like Paul's commentary. He's not obnoxious & he's easy to ignore if I don't want to listen when I'm watching a favorite taped performance for the nth time.

Eliza

Vash01

Medalist
SkateFan4Life said:
Dick Button "long in the tooth"? :rofl: :rofl: Actually, I love the guy - his commentating, that is. :biggrin:

Lately Dick's commentary has gone out of control. He has always had certain strong opinions but they did not interfere with my enjoyment of the program. Now he grates on my nerves because of his extreme likes and dislikes. Add to that the annoying Terry Ganon who simply cannot shut up during a routine, and he absolutely ruins the program for me.

I never had a problem with Peter Carruthers commentating. I did not agree with some of his opinions and occasionally his facts were not correct, but he is THE most knowledgeable commentator when it comes to pairs skating. Paul only did some pairs skating at the beginning, but he has been essentially a singles skater. It is not necessary that a commentator be a skater in that particular discipline, but Peter is a great resource when it comes to pairs commentating because he knows so much technical detail from personal experience.

I wonder if he is being pushed out because he always talks about how great the Russian pairs are?

Vash

Last edited:
S

SkateFan4Life

eyria said:
I'm really enjoying Paul's commentary. Listening to him, I feel like I'm really learning something. I like the way he gets into specifics, such as talking about individual steps, head movements, and musical phrasing. These are things other commentators don't talk about much, or at least not in such detail. QUOTE]

I agree with you about Paul's commentary. IMHO, he is a breath of fresh air - precise, articulate, full of details that pertain to the current performance, etc. Thank heavens Paul doesn't waste time with silly, "up close and personal" drivel while he's speaking.

Way to go, Paul! :agree:

jesslily

Final Flight
The undergraduate education and MBA from Harvard certainly helped him talk in the way people enjoy and also get knowledgable info.

sarahjane

Rinkside
I am more interested in learning when they do this commentary.

I am a golf fan, and saw Terry Gannon doing live interviews in Florida the same weekend as NHK. Unless ESPN has perfected teleportation, I would say he was not in Japan.

That being said, I am enjoying Paul and Susie both; they offer new perspectives, and there are more times when they don't talk. We just get to watch the skating.
(No offense to Mr. Button -- he is one of my heroes!)

S

SkateFan4Life

I watched a portion of the ESPN coverage of the Cup of China last night, and Paul Wylie was commentating with Susie Wynne and Peter Carruthers. IMHO, Paul is an excellent commentator - understated, factual, unbiased, and he brings out interesting aspects of figure skating that the average viewer (and many of us, no doubt - myself included) might not recognize in the skaters' performances.

There's none of the "Golly, gee-whiz" nonsense that permeates some of today's commentators dialogue, and Paul does not (from what I've heard) have the habit of criticizing the skaters to the last degree.

As far as I'm concerned, Paul is a breath of fresh air in the commentator's booth. :agree: