Alfie - Movie Review | Golden Skate

Alfie - Movie Review

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
If you saw the Michael Caine version of Alfie, then you will be disappointed in this flick; if you have never seen the original then you might enjoy this Alfie wannabe. Jude Law turns in a very touching performance. He pretty much saves the movie. The score by Mick Jagger is okay - not the great hit song "What's It All About Alfie" which was sung originally by Cher.

The story follows the original, but there are some changes - which spoils the whole storyline - for me anyway. For instance, instead of London, Alfie resides in New York. Just does not work as well.

Like I say, if you are expecting the brilliant Michael Caine version then go rent it. This Alfie is not quite up to the mark.

Longhornliz

Final Flight
I liked the Caine version of Alfie... and I havent seen the remake yet, but Jude can do no wrong in my book. It is on my list of must see's after graduation (I am gong to gorge myself on movies in a few weeks!!)

I kinda like the song "Old Habits Die Hard" that Mick did for the movie...

PatC

Rinkside
Ladskater said:
The score by Mick Jagger is okay - not the great hit song "What's It All About Alfie" which was sung originally by Cher.

Like I say, if you are expecting the brilliant Michael Caine version then go rent it. This Alfie is not quite up to the mark.

It's not high on my list of movies I want to see. Dunno why............

Umm........I thought What's it All About was released by Dione Warwick? Altho I saw her in concert, and there have been a ton of people who did this song. Warwick's was the one that made the top 10...............;)

Antilles

Medalist
I've never seen the original, and I didn't care for this one. All of the acting was good, but I thought the writing was weak.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
PatC said:
It's not high on my list of movies I want to see. Dunno why............

Umm........I thought What's it All About was released by Dione Warwick? Altho I saw her in concert, and there have been a ton of people who did this song. Warwick's was the one that made the top 10...............;)

Dione Warwick made the song famous on the radio, but in the original movie score of Alfie - Michael Caine - surprise, surprise, the song is sung by Cher!!!!

IDLERACER

Medalist
Alfie is Burt Bacharach's second most charted song. Four different people charted with it in the 60s, Cilla Black, Cher, Dionne Warwicke and Stevie Wonder did an instrumental version of it under the alias Eivits Rednow (Stevie Wonder backwords). Dionne's version was the bigger hit in America, while Cilla's version was (naturally) the big hit in England.

If it's of any interest, Bacharach's most covered song is Always Something There To Remind Me which charted four times in the 60s and one time in the 80s. As you can see, 60s music trivia is my specialty. :agree:

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
Antilles said:
I've never seen the original, and I didn't care for this one. All of the acting was good, but I thought the writing was weak.

Liz - I'm with you about Jude Law -- he can do no wrong in my book, either. However, I have to agree with Antilles about the writing - it was weak. I didn't think there was any real change in Alfie and I don't think there was any real point in the story.

Herm (sk8ngnutt)