Clockwise/ Counterclockwise jumping | Golden Skate

Clockwise/ Counterclockwise jumping

N

nysk8r

Clockwise/ Counterclockwise jumping

I've been reading on a few message boards about jumps, the difference between good/bad technique, etc. and I came across a couple of comments about how Todd Eldredge and Sarah Hughes jump clockwise. A couple of questions popped into my head about this:

-How do you know if you're a clockwise/ counterclockwise jumper? Is it a trial and error type of thing?

-Is there a correlation between clockwise jumping and consistancy? Sarah and Todd seem like two of the most consistant jumpers out there.

( I'm discounting the times Todd missed the quad and that nasty spill he had at the Sears Canadian Open. I'm also discounting Sarah's bad jumping technique)

I

Idleracer

Re: Clockwise/ Counterclockwise jumping

[c]<font size=4><font color="#7060A0">Other clockwise jumpers include Roz Sumners, Johnny Weir, Rory Burghart and Rudy Galindo. These skaters have been the bane of ensemble choreographers for years (always making the routine look assymetrical).
Up until recently, I always just assumed that it was the same thing as either being-left handed or right-handed, but then I noticed that Sarah Hughes signs autographs with her right hand. I guess it's whatever feels comfortable.
I don't know of any completely ambidexterous skaters, although there are several (Hughes, Orser, Weiss) who can do single walley jumps in both directions, and of course, Michelle Kwan can spin clockwise (but not very fast).

J

Joesitz

It happens in dance too. Most dancers, however, turn best clockwise but there are some who go counterclockwise. Just the opposite of figure skaters. I remember in an acrobatic class I had to sit in a split, since I had my right foot in front, the coach insisted that I would be a clockwise turner.

It blew my mind since it was just the opposite of figure skating and it was the same thing when I was forced to write with my right hand.

Wonder if anyone can explain this quirky situation.

Joe

C

Chaignee

Hi

In dance, while one side is stronger, it didn't really matter- instructors forced you to learn both sides. My old ballet instructor gave a spinning class once, and she had us do a single/double/triple sequence (single pirouette, then prep, then double, prep, then triple), then we had to do the same with the other foot.
I heard that in the past, back when jumps were only up to double axels, some skaters (Janet Lynn, and <Ladskater, I don't know if I'm right here> Karen Magnussen) were able to do their jumps in both directions.

L

Ladskater

nysk8r:

It depends on if you are right handed or left handed
dominant and which direction you prefer. I am left handed therefore, I feel more comfortable jumping counterclockwise and performing most moves to my left. It's like a "southpaw" batter or "lefty" as they are called. Some skaters learn to jump both directions. Karen Magnussen was able to jump in both directions as well as spin. Good question.

Ladskater

I

icenut84

The direction you rotate is the one that feels most natural to you. It hasn't got anything to do with being right or left handed. Some skaters do learn to go both ways - apparently Stephane Lambiel (?) can do double axels in both directions. I think it was him, anyway. Also, pairs teams that jump in opposite directions have this problem - it's ok for the jumping, but one partner must learn to spin the other way. It can be done. As for me, I jump clockwise, spin better anti-clockwise (counter-clockwise), am right-handed, left-footed, and prefer to rotate footwork clockwise. To mess it up even more, I also do cartwheels left-handed. I guess I'm just confused. :D

E

engrsktr

it definitely has nothing to do with being right/left handed.... yes many skaters can do jumps and spins in both directions..
actually the ISI requires jumps in both directions once you reach F7 (through 10? I can't remember)..... I believe in F10 it is a sequence of axels - one one way and the other in the opposite direction... I don't believe it means you are a more consistent jumper if you jump in the opposite direction by any means...

J

Joesitz

I could never answer that. When I skated the axel went counter clockwise; when I danced I was most comfortable doing a saute de basque (ballet axel) clockwise.

One thing about dance, you don't do one thing one way without doing it the other way. Cheers for Ilia Klimkin.

Joe