Irina Slutskaya | Golden Skate

Irina Slutskaya

Nadine

Record Breaker
Hmm...

Great question, SailorGalaxia518,

I'm wondering the same thing myself, especially as I've been surfing some other skating sites for confirmation. And one site in particular mentioned that her coach said that Irina's injury to her knee (i.e. torn ligament) is being blown way out of proportion ~ it isn't as bad as it sounds. Thus, with the competiton scheduled to take place in a matter of a few days, I am almost positive she'll be there. JMHO.

That said, I can't wait to see how Irina will score with this new system/COP. I actually think she'll score pretty good, at least I hope so, as she has been a favorite of mine for a long time now as well (though when she was competing with one of my all-time FAVS, Sarah Hughes, it was hard; likewise add Miki Ando to that all-time FAV list as well).

The reason why I see Irina doing well with COP is b/c she is known for difficulty in ALL her moves:

*3turns into 3R (likewise Sarah Hughes, whom copied Irina btw).
*fast Biellmann Spin on both feet (requires phenomenal/natural flexibility)
*ending 3T stepping right into a beautiful 2A.
*3/3 combos. (was the first woman to ever perform a 3Z/3R in competition, as well as a 3/3/2 combo., i.e. 3S/3R/2T; only downside is that the second triple is sometimes underrotated).
*powerful & fast one-foot spiral sequence that travels the entire length of the rink.
*is known for the power & height she attains on all her solo triples (fully rotated, reminiscent of Julia Sebestyen & Yoshie Onda). Probable +GOE.
*known for being one of the fastest skaters in the world.

Peace & Love, Nadine

P.S. Miki Ando mentioned a couple of years ago that the reason why she wears gold blades is b/c she saw Irina Slutskaya wearing them first, then she, Miki, emulated/copied her (great compliment to Irina btw, whom is also a fabulous jumper, just like Miki). :rock:

wvgal57

On the Ice
Irina is doing her GP events. She was invited to the cheesefests but has turned them down in order to train without travel.

She's skating to music from "The Bolt" for her short progam.

The program didn't go over well with the Russian Federation during the skate test so I'm wanting to see exactly what was changed. Irina's her own woman though and her music choices post SLC have been interesting as well as choice of choreographers.

Nadine, I agree that Irina will do very well under COP. Her challenge will be retaining her speed (with lung problems) and transitions. Her body line isn't the best and the skates over the boots is one thing that was relayed to her to start doing to try to lengthen the line of her bowed legs.

I can't wait to hear about her new short program. Also, her long program had a lot of stuff taken out last year for her Worlds debut .. I hope I'll get to see her skate it full out this season.

Here is a link to Irina's official fan pages which also includes her fan forum

www.irina-slutskaya.com

Last edited:

euterpe

Medalist
Irina will do fine in the SP. I read on another board that during the CoC practices, she was landing 3/3/2.

The question for the FS is stamina. But it's the early season and skaters such as Angela and even Miki, do tend to tire toward the ends of programs, too. I think Irina has an excellent shot at the CoC podium.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Great to see you back, wvgal57!

Thanks for the info. on Irina Slutskaya, :love:

And if anyone is in the "know" on Irina, it is you, always has been.......which is why I look for your posts when surfing the skating sites.......no lie. Btw, just came from the link that you posted (haven't been over there in a year or more), and was delighted to see all the good stuff about Irina! :agree:

As far as COC is concerned, I see Irina doing fine, especially considering the fact that she landed a 3/3/2 (i.e. 3S/3R/2T) in practice, which bodes well for the future. However, here @ COC, I just think she should get her legs under her, and not go for anything too difficult. Rather, I'd like to see her do her phenomenal 3Z/2T (or 3Z/2R) in the SP (w/hang time to spare; +GOE), along with putting in her trademark 3turns into 3R (which she can do in her sleep; +GOE), and then end with a nice 2A. Also, not to forget her exceptional fast spins, especially the "double Biellmann" on both feet. Then in the FS, she can cut loose & go for landing all the triples she is capable of, which is literally ALL of them (i.e. 3Z, 3F, 3R, 3S, 3T). That accomplished, she can then start working on upping her difficulty little-by-little as each competition takes place (ala COR, Nationals, Euros), so that by Worlds she has a 3/3 firmly in place if she should need it. JMHO.

***Note: another way she can up her difficulty is by putting back in her Tano 2A, which she did in the 1998 Olympics ~ literally so many other ways that she can add difficulty, not just 3 jumps & 3/3 combos. ~ though the latter does help, especially if one wants a 7-triple program, which then requires one to add a 3/3 combo. or else a 2A/3T combo., since a 2A is mandatory. Not only that, only 7 jumping passes are allowed.***

Peace & Love, Nadine

P.S. As regards the tights over the boots look, I personally don't care for it (even when my all-time FAV Sarah Hughes did it, no lie), b/c IMHO it makes the skater's legs look clunky. Rather, I just say accentuate your positives & downplay your negatives, whatever that may be. Just look at Sarah, she had the opposite prob. of Irina (i.e. not straight back), but she played up her positives (aka 3/3 combos., spins, jumps) and won gold in the end! :cool: